My Muppet puppet show in church

Beauregard

Reaction score
Phantom said:
Sounds like you may have an opportunity to start a new group. Or maybe you can find like minded persons from area churches and do a community puppet group.

My group (Pogo-Puppeteers obeying God's orders) have been asked by a church in a neighboring town to do a one-day introductory seminar on starting a group, basic techniques and everything. I haven't set a date, but we are looking at the end of January.

We've worked hard to show that puppets can be an effective ministry. I just hope we are bringing glory where it belongs and no to ourselves.
Actually, phantom, you may be right. Prehaps I was looking too much at 'me' and not enough at 'God.' I am sure he dosn't mind if the show is five minute or fifty minutes. Thanks for pointing that out.

Beau

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Our church puppetry group used to go around to nursing homes, city festivals, schools, churches...it was great. I do like recognition for the work--credit for it anyways--but I always get SO embarassed when I'm complimented on my work, and all I can do is say "Thanks," although I appreciate it much more than just "thanks."

However, I like for the attention to be placed on the puppets. Like, when I do things with Muley, I want the recognition to go to Muley--that makes him more 'real' then.

When you're doing a church-y production, you want the emphasis to be on the MESSAGE and not the characters, sets, or the performers; so the performANCE must be A+, and the timing must be perfect so when that part of the message is there for the people to think about what was just done, it will hit them. That's when the work of the Lord comes into play, you just opened their minds and hearts for the Lord to move.

Of course, I'm sleepily ranting and this probably makes no sense at all.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Our church puppetry group used to go around to nursing homes, city festivals, schools, churches...it was great. I do like recognition for the work--credit for it anyways--but I always get SO embarassed when I'm complimented on my work, and all I can do is say "Thanks," although I appreciate it much more than just "thanks."

However, I like for the attention to be placed on the puppets. Like, when I do things with Muley, I want the recognition to go to Muley--that makes him more 'real' then.

When you're doing a church-y production, you want the emphasis to be on the MESSAGE and not the characters, sets, or the performers; so the performANCE must be A+, and the timing must be perfect so when that part of the message is there for the people to think about what was just done, it will hit them. That's when the work of the Lord comes into play, you just opened their minds and hearts for the Lord to move.

Of course, I'm sleepily ranting and this probably makes no sense at all.
Yes after my show my name wasn't given but I got a big applase. My Grandmother said she was waiting for them to state my name and then my mother thought it was "terriable" that they didn't give out my name. I didn't even think of that! I don't know, I was having to much fun as well as being nervoius and praying that everything would go right with the show because this was the first time i ever did something like this for a church.

After then talking to my Grandma she said but it was nice not to do it for the reconnistion but for the Lord and the people watching, and yeah that what made me feel really good about doing it and during this time of year that sometimes the importants of Christmas gets lost in Santa, and shopping and decorations nd stuff.

Puls there were many people who knew i was doing it or saw me coming out behind the stage after the show,even if they didn't know my name i got lots of complaments! i might even get some type of certifice or paper from the church that I could keep in my porfoilo as well as maybe even work at this church again! :excited:

Phantom

Reaction score
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

You all are absolutely correct, do things with the right motives and it doesn't matter if you get credit or not.

It never goes unnoticed.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Phantom said:
It never goes unnoticed.
This reminds me of a story:
The youth group was having their week and it was a Sunday Morning, and I had been pretty well known within the church because I had the most popular puppet in children's church, I was the door greeter (a self-placed position) and was there practically every day as even just a hobby! Well, Steve (the youth minister) asked me if I'd help take up the offering, and I said yes; so, me and 3 other guys are standing at the front of the church by the altar and are praying when Steve asks ME (good grief!) to pray over the offering we're about to receive! EEK! So, I did, barely making it through and nervous as all get-out! Finally, I sat down by this old woman I always sat by (she ultimately turned out to be a back-stabber and one of the reasons I left that church after 5 years) and I asked her, "Did it sound okay?" She said, "Don't worry, it was okay! You tried, and the Lord's a book-keeper!"