My New Puppet Series is up! Check it out

ChinoXL

Reaction score
www.puppettelevision.com

This is a new site that me and my partner have been working on for such a long time. I hope everyone enjoys it and any feedback or comments are greatly appreciated. I had such wonderful help from this entire community so I would like to thank everyone here.

A special thanks goes out to Patrick H. for making our drawings come to life. Also we would like to thank “Buck Beaver” for helping us find places in Toronto that helped create visual backgrounds.

This was out first time doing any puppeteer work and it was definitely a learning experience.

Also, some of you may find the first episode a little on the dark side. It all depends on the monitor calibration but we did try to lighten it up as much as possible.
You can view the episode on the link that says “episode” on the site.

If anyone has an idea how to get a forum like the one on Muppet Central, please do give us the link so we can update ours. For now, if you have any questions, comments or feedback, feel free to use our main forum or email us.
Thank you and we hope you enjoy Puppet Television!

Chino and Smoogle

Smoogle

Reaction score
Puppet Television

Puppet Television was a great project to work on. I know that both me and Chino met a lot of really cool people that were totally into the project as well. It is the best experience to complete a project and hear what other people have to say about it. I really do hope you all watch it. Love it or hate it, please do let us know.
*There is some foul language in the first episode.
And as for previews of the Epsiode two, let's just say we're gonna take it to Puppet Rapist and Cakey...good times!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Chino, email me privately about setting up a forum and I can help you get something up and running.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Is there a way to view it in RealPlayer? My compooter at work won't let me watch this. I'll try when I get home.

ChinoXL

Reaction score
Hey Fozzie,

We do not have a Real Player version of Chino's Arrival, but we are working on a WMV version.

For now Quicktime is the only way to view the first episode.

Quick note: Buck-Beaver i sent you an e-mail.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
That was interesting. Pretty colorful language there. I thought it was pretty good over all.

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
You can definately tell that you guys spent a whole lot of work on this. The only major thing I see is that the lip synch is off. What you want to do is move only the bottom. The jaw. Puppetry is nearly the same as how we talk. So watch the lip synch. If you want to visually see pointers watch Muppets from Space Gonzo. Dave is an amazing performer. Also Kermit. Both Steve and Dave are experts at lip synch. It really helps watching them. Taking puppeteering classes help a lot too. You said you wanted feedback please don't take this hard. I have been doing puppetry for nine years and have won lip synch challenges at state and national level.I have an eye for it. That's why I'm being hard on ya now. So practice practice practice and I am sure your next chapter will receive better reviews.

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
Oh to add on to my last comment. I love the camera angles. Also it had a good story line. Hmm it makes me want to see what will happen next. Oh and I love the music choices. I hope you guys don't hate me now.

ChinoXL

Reaction score
froggiegirl18 said:
You can definately tell that you guys spent a whole lot of work on this. The only major thing I see is that the lip synch is off. What you want to do is move only the bottom. The jaw. Puppetry is nearly the same as how we talk. So watch the lip synch. If you want to visually see pointers watch Muppets from Space Gonzo. Dave is an amazing performer. Also Kermit. Both Steve and Dave are experts at lip synch. It really helps watching them. Taking puppeteering classes help a lot too. You said you wanted feedback please don't take this hard. I have been doing puppetry for nine years and have won lip synch challenges at state and national level.I have an eye for it. That's why I'm being hard on ya now. So practice practice practice and I am sure your next chapter will receive better reviews.
Awesome! I love the feedback and i will definitely look into what you suggested :smile: I was actually waiting for someone to respond like this because if i don't get messages like yours i'm not sure what to improve.

thank you

Froggie

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I really like it. I think the character designs are really interesting. The hallmark of a really good puppet to me is that you look at it and immeadately recognize it's character and I think that happens with these puppets. I also really like most of the shots and the staging, a lot of it is very interesting and there's a good variety of camera angles.

A couple things stuck out to me though. One is Chino. As a character his motivation doesn't seem to be consistent. He sort of ping pongs emotionally between extremes. One second he's nearly beating the bear to death, the next he seems to care about him. I think you can do that with a character, but you have to convey to the audience why the character behaves that way. It's really important to connect the way a puppet character behaves with some kind of believable motivation/thought process.

Considering what's going on story-wise, I think the pacing could be tightened. Some of the shots linger a little too long and the story might be more dynamic if they were cut down a little bit. A good exercise might be to recut the episode down in to three, four and five minute versions and see which one plays best.

The other thing is the swearing, but it feels kind of thrown in here. It's almost like it's just being added for shock value. I don't have a problem with swearing, but if it's in the script it should be in for a reason and not just for the sake of having it in there.

I do think it's really, really good. Oh, and that Chinchilla....he's adorable!