My opinion on Elmo has changed

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
So back when I was like 15 I was on that Elmo Hate Train. I thought he was annoying and unnecessary like a lot of others do, but now that I've grown up I'm just like "why is this little monster kid from a children's show so hated??" He's just a little guy why does he get so much genuine hate... he's cute and funny and I like him now. Though I do understand why someone wouldn't be big on him LOL

(Btw yes it's been a century hello, I'm not Back though I just wanted to pop in and share that)

80sMuppetFan

Reaction score
He's been around since 1980 yet a lot of people still associate him with the "newer" sesame Street. I don't mind him either. His popularity wasn't instant, it legit took about 15 years to get there.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I have to agree with this thread. Even though I grew up with Elmo, I jumped on the Elmo hate train once I outgrew Sesame. I would say that he ruined the show and that things were better before he took over.

While I still think Elmo's World is boring and that there are way better characters, I don't hate Elmo anymore. He's a fun and friendly character that clearly resonates with many.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Elmo was my favorite character as a kid, so I have something of an emotional connection to him. I could never hate Elmo because of all the great memories that he gave me. Even when I briefly went through a phase where I would make fun of Sesame Street with my friends at school, I never genuinely hated him or any of the other characters. I was just trying to sound cool as a tween.

groverandgrapes

Reaction score
I also agree, personally I don't think elmo's a "new" character if people wanna hate on a "new muppet character" they should hate on rudy (no offense).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Personally my issue with Elmo isn’t his character himself, it’s moreso him being constantly shoe-horned and milked to death when his presence (quite honestly) just isn’t necessary. There are times I also feel his character is dumbed down when interacting with Zoe (who I honestly never liked as a character and always found her to be very annoying).

Elmo’s World was honestly good for maybe the first two or three seasons….. then afterwards it was just nothing more than a pure filler segment to cut costs back on filming/animating new material for segments.

datman24

Reaction score
I respect your opinion, but I'm still riding that train. The combination of his voice and mannerism can get rather irritating to most anyone over the age of six. He rarely ever shows any display of emotions other than happiness. Yeah, there were those Rocco outbursts, but those were extremely rare occasions. Otherwise, he's just happy all the time, and that doesn't make for an interesting character. You may find Elmo cute, but at the end of the day, he's a puppet being performed by an adult male.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Elmo's World (and in extension Elmo: The Musical) annoyed me for 2 reasons

1. Elmo was the only major character to regularly appear in these segments
2. When the show was an hour long, it took up 25% of the show and stopped the flow of good segments. You just knew the fun of the show was over when you saw that logo and theme pop up.

But, Elmo is a great character when he's in the midst of other muppets. Stuff like Elmopalooza and CinderElmo is solid content.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Yes, that’s exactly how I felt! Like by the time season 32 was over it was just beating a dead horse at that point. And even then, I think “Elmo’s World” was at its best moments during the first two seasons. The season 32 stuff was just okay, then everything else afterwards….. no.

Even then, I think the series could have honestly just worked better as its own separate series for TV (or even direct to video for that matter) instead of forcing it into the last remaining minutes of the show to avoid having to make a ton of new material/recycle old segments.

I mean ****, with seasons 30-32, I think those end segments slightly mess up the flow a bit with the main stories being presented during the street scenes with the plot ending too quickly before it transitions into “Elmo’s World.”

“CinderElmo” was okay imo, “ElmoPalooza” however I definitely have so many nostalgic memories with and some of those song covers honestly knocked the original segments out the park.