My Puppet Film (Finally)!

Cantus

Reaction score
Well guys, it's been a long time since I last logged in. I've been working on a small pitch project on and off for about a year now. I got slightly disenchanted when nothing seemed to be working in the editing process (largely due to the green screening techniques) but I had a breakthrough about a month ago and have finally managed to put a rough cut of part of the opening scene together. Anyway, what I'm saying is, I'd love for you guys to take a look, let me know what you think and all that. I know the sound needs work (the voices are going to have to be rerecorded) and some of the animations need to be tweaked (largely the monster), but as I said, it's a rough slice, so take a gander!

Peace,

Tristan

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoJ37IjlTEk

also if anyone's interested, feel free to add me to your myspace! It's myspace.com/themindofmongo

Barry Lee

Reaction score
I love it, reminds me of the "Land Of The Gorch" sketches, a little thing though, turn down the music volume, the music seems to overpower the voices.

Cantus

Reaction score
Thanks!

As I said, the vocals are going to be completely re-recorded, what you see is simply a test edit to see how the visuals came together. That music is simply a temp for my composer, so he can gather the right mood for the sequence. As I said, it's nowhere near a final product...:wink:

Barry Lee

Reaction score
woops, sorry, but lovely puppet designs, great job so far!

Melonpool

Reaction score
Was there a point early-on where the larger character passed through the smaller one? Other than that, I was completely unaware that you used greenscreening. It looked like set pieces (which is a good thing)!

I also thought it was very reminiscent of the old Scorch bits as well as some of the Dark Crystal and other Henson fantasy films (at least in the way the puppets were built). So few of us are doing stuff like that, it's really cool to see you going in this direction. Other than volume-wise, I felt like the voices were perfect for the characters. Keep that in mind when you do the final voice tracks --especially if you're using other actors for the voices.

Hope this helps. I really thought it was cool!

Steve

Cantus

Reaction score
Thanks dude, it definitely does. And the larger character does definitely pass in front of him at one point, he shouldn't be passing 'through' him so to speak though, but i'll check it out to be sure...

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Excellent! Excellent! The characters are fabulous. Looks tremendously promising! I can't wait to see the final.

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
I agree on what has been said..the puppets are amazing! Good puppetry skills! Its like watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Awesome work and I love the music! This rocks!:smile:

Cantus

Reaction score
Thanks! The reason for the Pythonesque feel is probably because Gilliam and Henson are my two biggest influences. Largely what I'm aiming for with this is something somewhere between Labyrinth and Jabberwocky.

Blink

Reaction score
Allow me to jump on the band wagon as well. I also loved it. I am always amazed with how many talented people there are here on this forum. Great work!