My puppets can't see!

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Since McGinnis is going out of buisness, where will I get my dome eyes from now? I can't afford to buy in such large quantity as the other places I've seen require for an order. I have a couple new puppets here that still need eyes and noses. I'll "pick my nose" while I'm looking for eyes.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
There's a ton of eyes at Michael's, don't kno if that's what you're looking for, tho...

BJ

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Thanks but actually I was looking for the 35mm and 45mm dome eyes.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
Since McGinnis is going out of buisness, where will I get my dome eyes from now? I can't afford to buy in such large quantity as the other places I've seen require for an order. I have a couple new puppets here that still need eyes and noses. I'll "pick my nose" while I'm looking for eyes.

tyr here dude

http://www.fxsupply.com/products/hemis.html

Show and Tell

Reaction score
ok these would work but how do I attach them to the face? The other ones I had have a post and keeper that mounted the eyes firmly on the face. Thanks for the link. I'm always looking for more supply sources.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
ok these would work but how do I attach them to the face? The other ones I had have a post and keeper that mounted the eyes firmly on the face. Thanks for the link. I'm always looking for more supply sources.

since i dont know what your are building for its hard to answer, i build for productions , not for general public consumption, so i dont need to worry about little kids swalloig the eyes and choking,

i generally glue a piece of foam that i have carved , to the inside of the shape, then glue the whole piece to the puppet with contact cement, its worked for 25 years , cant see any reason to change know, but im sure you could think of other ways

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Generally speaking I don't think Plastic Hemispheres are intended for use in puppets that may be used by children. I attached them the same way - just don't use hot glue. I've had hemispheres melt slightly when I've tried attaching them with hot glue.

Thanks for posting that link - I had lost the contact info for the company awhile ago.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
well, my puppets are not meant to be toys. They are for shows only but I do also train new puppeteers with them and some of them have not grasped the consept yet that they are NOT indistructable play things. So I have tried my best to make them as durable as possible in order to cut down the amount of repairs. The posted 35 mm and 45mm eyes are the best ones I have found for that but I will try your technique with the half spheres. Thanks again.

SparkShooter

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm (obviously) new here and have a question. I want to add large concave eyes to my ghastly over-sized puppet. If I could, I would make them out of white shiny plastic with a diameter of about 2.5 in. (told you the puppet was big!) However, this is not possible. I was thinking of making them out of the White crayola sculpy clay formed in the bottom of a tea cup. I would them cover it in a few thin layers of sculpt or coat to make it shiny... Does anyone have a better idea?