My Review Of MirrorMask: An astonishing experience

beaker

Reaction score
Got to see MirrorMask in Berkeley last night, and the year and a half wait was well worth it. It had been 6 years since I last saw a Jim Henson film in theatres,
so this was quite a treat. MirrorMask is without a doubt a visionary and texturally evocative movie experience. It was nice seeing the small little theatre packed, but i'ts a shame its only playing in a few select theatres.

Oh yeah, and one of the books in the libary scene says "Muppets"...good to see they havent forgotten their roots:smile: Also the creatures in the movie are truly beyond description.

http://www.neoramen.com/zine/index.php?section=4&article=133

Here's links to some really ornate clips from the film and trailers:
http://movies.aol.com/movie_exclusive_mirrormask_movie_clip
http://www.mirrormask.com/

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I am so jealous. I really wish it was coming near me! Glad you enjoyed it. :smile:

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Mirrormask is in manhattan

Mirrormask is in my area unfortunately as a stay-at-home dad it's kind of hard for me to get a day away from the little one so I can go see it.

beaker

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
I am so jealous. I really wish it was coming near me! Glad you enjoyed it. :smile:
I was saddened to see the places its playing are few and far between. Corprse Bride gets a wide release but this doesnt? pooey! Hopefully it has a quick dvd release.

abiraniriba said:
Mirrormask is in my area unfortunately as a stay-at-home dad it's kind of hard for me to get a day away from the little one so I can go see it.
I'd say take your kid, tho even tho its PG, I think it'd be a bit too cryptic, macabre and unnerving for little ones.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
beaker said:
I was saddened to see the places its playing are few and far between. Corprse Bride gets a wide release but this doesnt? pooey! Hopefully it has a quick dvd release.

I'd say take your kid, tho even tho its PG, I think it'd be a bit too cryptic, macabre and unnerving for little ones.
Not only wouldn't the show be appropriate for her also since she's only 3 getting her to sit quietly for two hours is not easy. I might have an out though, my wife is not as big a muppet fan as I am, so I might be able to persuade her to watch her one weekend so I can go see it. The problem is it's only playing at one theatre in NYC so I don't have too much freedom on how to work the times.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Saw Mirrormask

If you have it you have to share it, but once you share it you haven't got it anymore. what is it?

The answer is a secret.

My wife watched Megan today while I went to see Mirrormask. It was a rather rainy day. But the show was well worth the trip in the rain from Ridgewood, Queens to The Village in Manhattan.

I wonder how many of you caught the reference in the show to the rather old film of Jim Henson's entitled "The Cube" It appears right in the beginning, a little before Helena's mother faints.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
I love it when there are inside references and I know what they are, especially when no one else around you seems to get them.:zany:

abiraniriba

Reaction score
What was the Cube reference?

Ok, you say you saw it. What was it?

abiraniriba

Reaction score
I guess no one else saw it

Okay since no one but me and infinity saw the cube extra in Mirrormask I guess I'll have to reveal it and eat my own chocolate rabbit. The extra is the gorilla in the ballet costume. In The Cube there is a scene where two gorillas in ballet costumes throw the man back into the cube after he makes an attempt at getting out.

DTWolf

Reaction score
If you haven't checked www.sonypictures.com/movies/mirrormask/index.html lately for theatre listings, you might want to. They've added a whole slew of release dates/locations since I last looked--according to the site, Mirrormask is coming here to Nashville this Friday (Nov. 4)!

If you live in or near a medium-to-big city, you might just be in luck between now and December.