My Sesame-filled trip at USJ

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Hey guys. Yesterday I went to Universal Studios Japan and the first thing I did was go see...Sesame Street 4-D Movie Magic! Only thing was, it was all in Japanese!

PRESHOW
Before the preshow starts, we see profiles for the Sesame Street Muppets, or the `stars` of the show: Elmo, Zoe, Bert, Ernie, Cookie, Oscar, Grover, Big Bird, Prairie, The Count, and Telly. We see a whole bunch of Sesame Muppets in a screening room about to watch movie previews for the Sesame Street Film Festival. Cookie pops up briefly holding a film canister which he thinks looks like a cookie and well...I will leave you to figure out what he does with it. Telly chases a chicken for is movie. Elmo then appears and talks and next to him is a sack of film reels. Oscar pops up and the two talk for a bit. The Count then shows a trailer fo his movie-a western called `The Counting Kid Counts Again`. After that`s over. Prairie goes ahead and presents her movie: Pretty Space Ponies. Telly, Zoe, and the Two-Headed Monster are in it. But then just before the trailer is finished, the film projector breaks! Everyone leaves, and there`s the chicken wearing a disguise-a hat and a novelty mustache, rwading a newspaper hiding from Telly. Elmo then has an idea that everyone uses their imagination instead and leads everyone into the theater.

Oh, and behind where all the Muppets are sitting, there are movie posters. The only two I remember were a monster movie by Cookie Monster called Cookie Monster vs Monster Cookie(or something like that) and Grover`s parody of The Mummy.

SHOW
We see a blue sky background with majestic music playing and theres Big Bird in the SS logo. He turns to us and says `You all look great in your 3-D glasses!` I have seen a clip of this at talkingbirdpictures.com. Anywho, each SS Muppet imagines their movie. Elmo may have hogged up the spotlight just a eensy bit, but there was some funny stuff with Cookie, Oscar, Ernie and Bert, Grover, and Telly. After the show ends, or when all the characters are done using their imaginations, the screen opens up as a pathway to the 3rd hall and everyone(in the audience that is)walks through. In the 3rd hall, we see a replica of the SS set: Hooper`s Store, the 123 apartment, Oscar`s trashcan area, and Big Bird`s nest. And between the two buildings is a screen showing numerous clips from Sesame Street. Basically a clip montage. The ones I remember seeing were Elmo with Whoopi Goldberg, Oscar singing about a Grouchy Place(an episode from Season 34), Grover surfing(Global Grover), and Elmo with some violinist(dont know his name though). Then there`s a lavender female AM Muppet interviewing Big Bird, Grover, Cookie, Oscar, Ernie, Bert, Elmo, and so on. During the interviews they showed clips from the main show. Papa Bear turns up briefly in Ernie and Bert`s interview, but I didnt really catch it entirely because I was in the Cinema 4-D Store that was ahead. The Cinema 4-D store had TONS of really cool SS stuff. I mean, really cool stuff. Plush dolls, drinking glasses, mugs, t-shirts, plush keychains...heck you name it they had it. They even had Shrek stuff because in the theater where SS4D was shown, they had Shrek`s 4-D Adventure, which I have already seen on my last trip to Universal Hollywood. In the store, they played SS music. One was The Count`s Lambaba. After that, went to more attractions...and there was this Sesame Street Birthday Celebration thing with some Japanese lady, Elmo, and Cookie(CM and E were both the walkarounds seen in SS Live and Sesame Place). Oh, and there was even some thing called Happy Harmony Celebration with characters from Snoopy, Hello Kitty, Shrek, and SS. I didnt catch it entirely(only saw Big Bird, Grover, The Count, and Bert). Then later, went to more shops that had-you guessed it...more cool SS stuff! Oh, and in one of the gift shops that I went to, they were playing an instrumental of The Muppet Show theme song and Moving Right Along! And they also played The People in Your Neighborhood, only this time it was the (musical)Instruments in your Neighborhood. The TMS and Moving Right Along music were definetely from MV3D.

So yeah I had a great time. The only bad parts of SS4D were that the human regulars were not in it...And the doors of the 123 apartment were red just like in Seasons 33-34. I prefered the green doors. But yeah this was made during the 33rd season. Basically this is considered an `unaired` episode.

This thread has been brought to you by the letters U, S, and J and the number 4.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
One part I liked:
*Cookie Monster vs Monster Cookie-It starts with Cookie on the Empire State Building and below him people(AMs)are screaming. Cookie tells them that the monster is behind them! The people turn around and see a giant cookie flying like a UFO squirting chocolate everywhere and they start to run. Cookie walks down the city and he sees the `monster` and tries to fight it, but he can`t. Cookie decides to trick him by saying that he will just give up and walk away. The UFO cookie then yells out Cowabunga and flies toward him and Cookie eventually smashes the `monster` into pieces...and then eats them like a vaccum cleaner.

Ernie101

Reaction score
That sounds like a once in a life time opprotunity. Awesome!

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Other things I went on: Back to the Future ride, Backdraft, Universal Monsters Rock and Roll Show(which had Beetlejuice in it...and right before the show started, he appeared and talked to the audience and he noticed one guy who had a shirt like his, and said that if someone doesnt listen to him, he will turn that person into a pig!), Animation Celebration...and the JAWS ride was closed that day due to `technical difficulties`.

SS4DMM to me was an (unaired)episode made after Season 33 ended and before 34 started because the preshow was kinda like the opening street segment, the main show the `main street story` and remember how in Season 34 when after the main story segment ends and later they have another segment that takes place on the street and that relates to the main story? Well thats what the aftershow was. Plus, all 3 parts took place on the street(the screening room where the Film Festival was being held I`m assuming was somewhere where the Around the Corner set used to be because thats where Elmo was coming from on his tricycle in the `main street segment`). Good use of the core characters, but the only thing was, Prairie and The Count had significant roles in the pre/after show, but in the main, they appeared for like about two to three seconds. Oh, and the Muppets seen in the projection room are(as I can remember from the top of my head): Grundgetta, Narf, The Countess(who was seen sitting next to The Count), and I think Phoebe was there as well? Anyway, those are all of the background Muppets I could remember. I would consider this Episode #4030 1/2.

And there were two other Sesame attractions: Zoe`s Flowers(which I have seen a video of online somewhere) and Full FX, that had Ernie dancing with some dudes.

Heres a page of it:

http://www.usj.co.jp/studioguide/atmosphere/full_fx.html

I`m guessing that Bert didn`t feel like joining in the fun, so he stayed home reading some book about the History of Oatmeal.