My turn to rant.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know how once a year we have the usual "everyone treats me like a baby because they don't understand the magic of the Muppets" thread, I thought I'd like to give my take on a similar subject. This has been bugging me for a while, but after the "threats against Boston by the Mooninites" thing, I thought I might as well vent on this now.

How the shell come people who like cartoons or comics well into their 30's are still looked down upon? Seriously. And then at the same time, people can be mindlessly obsessed with sports and look socially adjusted. I mean, how is Dressing up as Naruto or Spiderman any less socialy stabel than painting your head blue and spending thousands of dollars to follow one team to the entire season?

And not to mention all that crap about rivalries that cause people to act extremely juevenile? I mean, I'm from Boston, I went to an art school near fenway park, and I have to hear all the anti-NY stuff over and over. And then I heard that fans one team (Pre-super Bowl) threw snowballs and taunted the fans of the other. I mean, REALLY. How is this any less socially awkward than watching Family Guy on a regular basis?

Not to mention that anyone who actually takes place in the creative process is looked upon as a loser, where as some guy played one sport for a year in High School, was bad at it, and then watches the same sport and complains on how he could do better (when he obviously can't... specially since he's probably out of shape now).

Now, I'm not attacking Sports fans at all. They have a passion. I can respect that. But how come you can be passionate only about sports and seem normal, when someone who has a passion for cartoons/comics/etc. is looked down upon as an outsider? I mean, it's the same thing. Sure, it's only a comic book, but they have to realize themselves, it's ONLY a game.

amymoe

Reaction score
Oh Drtooth, I understand what you mean. Although, I don't think the sports fanatic who paints their head blue is really viewed as "normal" either. :wink: I am also not taking a jab at sports, as I am an avid hockey fan. I guess you just have to ask yourself, does it really matter what others view as socially acceptable, as long as you are happy and truly enjoy your own passions?

I think imagination and creativity are the best gifts a person can have. But, I am one of those "awkward" people who loves Family Guy and Futurama, and I am almost 27 years old! I guess I just wanted to tell you not to be frustrated about this, there ARE alot of women that think comic books are sexy. :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's the way the world is, much like High School. There are a very small group of popular people who decide what's cool and what isn't. It's not about good or bad people necessarily, just about cliques and groups.

sesameguy

Reaction score
I'm with you all on this one.

I have a weird hobby of making silly little home movies - sometimes using my old puppets! I've taken a little flack for it, but I love it, so I will continue to do it once in a while. It's fun, and it's not meant to be harmful - I don't see any good reason why I shouldn't continue - except of course for those who think it's "ridiculous." It is. But you know something? They don't have to watch it if they don't want to. The muppets are "ridiculous." "24" is "ridiculous". "CSI" is "ridiculous." Anything can be called ridiculous if you are looking for a reason to ridicule it.

It's the same thing with music. Why are some artists cool, but not others? Who makes the decisions, and why are we listening to them if we don't have to?

I like to remember the words of an old friend of mine, "People may smile, but I don't mind. They'll never understand the kind of fun I find."

==========================================

For more nerdy things, enjoy my blog: :smile:

http://heroshaven.blogspot.com

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
sesameguy said:
I like to remember the words of an old friend of mine, "People may smile, but I don't mind. They'll never understand the kind of fun I find."
Absolutely! That's why I had that quote as my signature for awhile, it's so inspiring. We don't all have to like the same things, and no one should make you feel bad for breaking the mold! (As long as it's not harmful, blah blah, yes).

Another Bert song I love is when he encourges Ernie to stop and look at a paperclip and how beautiful it is in it's own unique way.

"Anyone can look at a rainbow. Anyone can look at the sky. To see that those things are pretty, you don't really have to try. But, if you stop to look at a paperclip for just a minute or two, you might get to love a paperclip the way that I do."

amymoe

Reaction score
Sesameguy, I love your blog spot! Too many people don't remember Square One! :smile:

sesameguy

Reaction score
amymoe said:
Sesameguy, I love your blog spot! Too many people don't remember Square One! :smile:
At last, a fan! :smile: Thanks for the kind words, amymoe. If you haven't already, be sure to visit the Square One Fans forum if you want to talk to the real experts about the show.

bunsenhoneydew

Reaction score
Well done, well done.

Drtooth said:
. I mean, how is Dressing up as Naruto or Spiderman any less socialy stabel than painting your head blue and spending thousands of dollars to follow one team to the entire season?
Hear hear! Well done!...starts applauding.....HEAR HEAR! .....stands up on small box and applauds wildly...HEAR HEAR!....starts whistling loudly.... ENCORE, ENCORE!