Names of the Yip-Yip Martians

DTWolf

Reaction score
I realize none of you have any idea who I am, but. . .
Actually I've been reading the forums here at Muppet Central for a long time (mostly the action figures threads). I've recently started poking my head up at the Palisades message boards, so if any of you read those forums, you may have seen my name. Earlier today I posted something there that raised an issue which I think would be better explored here.

BUT this is not an action figures forum. So I should get to my question.

I have a very clear memory of seeing a skit, more than once, during the mid-1980s (in the seasons around the time Maria and Luis were married) in which the Yip-Yip Martians were on a game show hosted by Guy Smiley. When they entered as contestants, he announced them as "Stevie and Johnny Martian!!" in his usual frantic, rapid-fire style. The first time I saw the skit I didn't catch what he said, so the next time I saw it I listened very closely. I wanted to know their proper names.

As far as I know, this is the only time the Martians were ever given proper names. I imagine the people at CTW--or maybe just Jim Henson, ad-libbing--simply tossed in the names for this skit only and never intended them to be the definitive Martian names.

But the question is, does anyone else remember this? I can't even recall what the game show was.

It would be nice to know I'm not the only one with this running around in my head.

mikealan

Reaction score
DTWolf said:
I realize none of you have any idea who I am, but. . .
Actually I've been reading the forums here at Muppet Central for a long time (mostly the action figures threads). I've recently started poking my head up at the Palisades message boards, so if any of you read those forums, you may have seen my name. Earlier today I posted something there that raised an issue which I think would be better explored here.

BUT this is not an action figures forum. So I should get to my question.

I have a very clear memory of seeing a skit, more than once, during the mid-1980s (in the seasons around the time Maria and Luis were married) in which the Yip-Yip Martians were on a game show hosted by Guy Smiley. When they entered as contestants, he announced them as "Stevie and Johnny Martian!!" in his usual frantic, rapid-fire style. The first time I saw the skit I didn't catch what he said, so the next time I saw it I listened very closely. I wanted to know their proper names.

As far as I know, this is the only time the Martians were ever given proper names. I imagine the people at CTW--or maybe just Jim Henson, ad-libbing--simply tossed in the names for this skit only and never intended them to be the definitive Martian names.

But the question is, does anyone else remember this? I can't even recall what the game show was.

It would be nice to know I'm not the only one with this running around in my head.
It's "Bring That Thing", the later version of "Beat the Time"

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
hmm, I would assume their names are "Yip" and "Yip"! :smile: