1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Nanny, the Unseen Matriarch

Discussion in 'Muppet Babies' started by wemblingalong, May 6, 2008.

1. wemblingalong

wemblingalong Member

For many seasons I sat in my living room Saturday mornings, eating cereal and watching Muppet Babies on CBS. All the time I was there one question always came to my mind, “What does she look like?” :confused:

I always hoped that one day Nanny might bend over to pick something up or fall on the nursery floor just so we could get a glimpse. I know I always had my own thought of how Nanny looked. For some reason I always envisioned her with red shoulder length hair. I’m sure others may have had an idea in their heads of how Nanny looked too!

What did Nanny look like? Why was her face never shown?
    Was the mystery that is Nanny just a way for kids to use their imagination?

I have always wondered about the woman in the striped socks!
  2. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

She was never shown but I always thought of her as everyones mom or aunt, that maybe could change her face depending on who was looking at her...I thought she was a normal looking human in her early 30's with brown hair that she wore back like Mary Poppins :)
  3. dmoss

dmoss Member

Nice thread idea! :)

I actually always pictured Nanny with short, brown hair. Plus, she always had glasses on. Not really around her neck, but on.

What do you guys think: Glasses, yes or no?
  4. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I think she had glasses...I could have sworn once she had some around her neck in the actual show when she was reading something to them :o
  5. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I could see her with glasses. But not all the time.
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I've pictured her with short brown hair, but no glasses.

And I wonder why she was left in charge of the babies, especially since she wasn't their mother, and it didn't seem like the babies lived in an orphanage or foster home, and it seems like the show rarely mentioned anybody's parents, though did mention them all having famies outside of the nursery.
  7. wemblingalong

wemblingalong Member

Reading Glasses?

Actually I think in one of the episodes Nanny said, "I'll go get my reading glasses." I was reminded of that when I read all the post.
    I'm not sure which episode it was.

I often wondered where the parents were. I thought it might of been just a daycare but they stayed overnight.

Hmm maybe she looked like Barbara Billingsley (aka Beaver's Mom) the voice of Nanny! :)
  8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Well, back in the old days in England sometimes the nanny basically was left to raise the children, most of all if they were still MB age :coy:
  9. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

I've always imagined that she was modelled upon Hilda the wardrobe mistress from Season 1 of the Muppet Show.
  10. armslength

armslength New Member

I always had this fantasy that they would show what she looked like in the very last episode and it would be revealed that she looked like Jane Henson.
  11. wemblingalong

wemblingalong Member

A Giant Bird!

I always hoped that there would be a last episode and Nanny would be revealed! I actually had a dream about it when I was a child and she was a giant bird! :scary: More like a nightmare! I also thought that she had a thing for Officer Carothers! Everyone loves a man in uniform! :flirt:
  12. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Whoa! The things we don't know about Nanny, lol!
  13. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I guess that's a possibility. It really doesn't look like an English setting where MB takes place though. Of course, "The Muppet Show" was shot in England, so you never know.

Kermit: How come you don't have an English accent?
    Beauregard: Are you kidding? I'm lucky to have a driver's license!
  14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Hmm, you know. I have a feeling they NEVER even designed her head at all.

Look at this Production design

Unlike Dr. Claw, who clearly did have a design in mind somewhere down the line. of course, they didn't show him until 1993 (the 10th anniversary Inspector gadget gift, I suppose). But he had a design.

Now, The Mom and Dad in Cow and Chicken were designed only from the waist down.

If I had to pick how she looked, it would be very human. Not Muppet like at all. If you check out how a lot of the humans that popped up from time to time (a News reporter, the guy who lives at the center of the Earth, etc) they had muppety designs to them. But I feel Nanny and Officer Carruthers (among any others they didn't show) would have been exactly humanized.
  15. bazooka_beak

bazooka_beak Active Member

I don't think we were ever meant to know. I think it was supposed to be part of this child-like view of adults. The "muppet-like" adults were always shown, but "human" adults we only ever saw their arms and legs. To be at the level of the kids, you know? Hope that makes sense.
  16. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Haha! That is funny! I wonder if they meant to stop at the head?
  17. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Indeed they did. Eitherwise they'd change Nanny's name to Ichabod or something.

Baby Kermit: Gosh, Nanny... if you don't have a head, how do you eat?

Nanny: Gald you asked. I just cram it cown the esophagus pipe in my neck.

Gruesome.
  18. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Ewwww :o! The nightmares....
  19. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I swear, when I was younger I had a dream that Nanny looked like Beaker! Lol Scared me silly! :eek:
  20. Bill Bubble Guy

Bill Bubble Guy Active Member

If that were really true I bet Baby Beaker would be really affectionately attached to her lol :D