Nate Bought a DVD Player...HELP!!!!

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by gymkatarules
Glad to find someone else who really loves Swingers & Made. They're fantastic. Monsters, Inc. is wonderful, too. No comment on Star Wars.
i LOVE Swingers, i like Made a lot. I will be at a local Wal-Mart that actually puts stuff out at 12:01 when Monsters Inc. is released, i liked it that much, and i too have no comment on Star Wars.

i agree about easter eggs being for "fun stuff" also. you want frustration, try getting to the special features on Harry Potter...i wanted badly to hurt someone.

Speaking of easter eggs, in the new Muppet DVDs, if you highlight the first episode and hit "up" it'll highlight Animal. if you hit "enter" it'll give you a "fun fact". it's not much, but i just thought i'd point it out.

gymkatarules

Reaction score
Yeah, those same hidden features are on each of the Time Life discs, too. I suppose the Columbia's really are *exactly* identical to the Time Life discs, right down to closed captioning, which is stupid.

And everytime I've been to Wal-Mart at midnight looking for something (and this includes all of the four or five I've done this at), going in at midnight or even one or two will get you funny looks. The people at the electronics are *always always always* like, "Oh, the shipment hasn't come in yet. They'll be here around 9 or 10. Doesn't matter what it is, cd, dvd, anything. I know that's bogus cause places like Wal-Mart, Costco, or any video store get the items about one week in advance. That's just the way it is.

Oh, well. At least I have Virgin Megastore down here at Disney World that is open until 1 or 2 every night at actually *does* put out new stuff for people at midnight. Yes!

-Chris

grail

Reaction score
yeah...when i was a receiver for Zany Brainy, we'd get stuff in sometimes 2 weeks in advance, but *I* respected the street date (unlike, say...Best Buy). but as soon as we closed on monday night, that junk hit the shelves. the 24-hour places have a habit of just being lazy...plain and simple...

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by grail
i agree about easter eggs being for "fun stuff" also. you want frustration, try getting to the special features on Harry Potter...i wanted badly to hurt someone.
Are you talking about all those stupid "games" that take forever to figure out? What exactly are the special features anyway? I was disappointed that there was no director's commentary and stuff. But I got it for free from work (along with a ton of other DVDs and videos, so I can't complain too much)

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah, Swingers and Made....in my mind Made is the sequel(even the trailer for it points that out) But yes, some of the best comedies Ive ever seen(I love that, clerks, mallrats, etc as opposed to Farrelly brother slapstick)

...And, Blockbuster has this SWEET deal. Prepay $25 for Monsters Inc, and ya get a nifty Monsters Inc credit card type thing and $50 worth of dvd rentals!

Sadly, they only carry the vhs of KSY. Why rent what I expect to be horrible if there is no extras? And Best Buy and Walmart have KSY for $20...forget that!

Btw, I think its clear The Matrix is the #1 dvd of all time...and probably the poster boy for penultimate dvds. It should be illegal not to have this.

As for hidden features, its lame to make crucial supplementla stuff like interviews etc hidden. Hidden should be for fun facts, video games, etc

gymkatarules

Reaction score
Amen, brother.

I *love* both Swingers and Made, but I kind of tend to lean towards Made, actually.

"And this money, who gets this?"
"That's your per diem."
"Right, this is my per diem. And who do I give it to?"

I am always loyal, loving, borderline-obsessive fan of Muppets, but there's no way I'm buying Kermit's Swamp Years.

The Matrix is all right. I don't love it, don't hate it. Think it's fun.

-Chris

P.S.- Ninja Turtles 2 came out on DVD yesterday. Get to it.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>I *love* both Swingers and Made, but I kind of tend to lean towards Made, actually.<<<

There is something magical about both films. They are both masterpeices, and I dont think I have ever seen a film as much as Ive seen both. From references to Jedi and Pirates of the Carribean to the age of enlightenment...to fights over playing Genesis games to even hanging out at a Chuck E Cheese, these are great comedies. Made just built on Swingers...5 years later theyre still in Hollywood, yet it is almost more of an epic masterpeice because of what unfolds. Favreua and Vaugh have such great chemistry.

I am always loyal, loving, borderline-obsessive fan of Muppets, but there's no way I'm buying Kermit's Swamp Years. <<<

word.

The Matrix is all right. I don't love it, don't hate it. Think it's fun.<<<

The Matrix, like the first TMNT is beyond words for me...but as long as ya at least dig it. To me theyre more than just your regular genre films:wink:

P.S.- Ninja Turtles 2 came out on DVD yesterday. Get to it.<<<

why cant they release special editions, especially of TMNT?
I have seen the TMNT 2 documentary at least.

manoftheSTREET

Reaction score
A word of advice from an almost-2-year veteran of DVDs...

Make sure the movie you want is in its Original Aspect Ratio.

If a movie was made in a widescreen format, it is best that it is seen that way. "Die Hard" in widescreen on DVD is a thing of beauty..."Die Hard" in pan-and-scan (which is really what it is when they say "formatted to fit your screen") on any format is a thing of stupidity. Bruce Willis, Bonnie Bedelia, Alan Rickman and crew, to paraphrase Entertainment Weekly, "look like a gallery of anorexics" in pan-and-scan.

Conversely, movies like "Snow White And The Seven Dwarves", "Casablanca" and "Singin' In The Rain" were filmed in full-screen ratios of 1.33.1 and 1.37.1, so you get the proper picture in the incarnations you see them in.

A website that can help quite handily is www.widescreen.org

You'll find great support of the ideas of Original Aspect Ratios.

"The Dark Crystal" and "Labyrinth" are two examples of the excellence of widescreen used on the site.

Original Aspect Ratio...learn it, live it, love it!

Sincerely,

John "manoftheSTREET" Kilduff

radionate

Reaction score
Thanks Man on the Street!

I refuse to buy any "pan & scan" versions. If I'm going to get something on DVD, I want to make sure it differs from the VHS. I have loved watching everything I've gotten so far in widescreen format. I've also discovered that not all director's audio commentary is exciting. I've been let down on a couple that I was looking forward too immensly.

grail

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
I've also discovered that not all director's audio commentary is exciting. I've been let down on a couple that I was looking forward too immensly.
here are some really good commentaries:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (SE)
Monty Python's Life of Brian
UHF
Buckaroo Banzai
Cannibal the Musical
all of the Kevin Smith movies

of this bunch, my favorite is the one for "Cannibal the Musical", which is a Troma release but was written, directed, starring, etc...Trey Parker and Matt Stone. at the beginning of the commentary, you can hear them wheeling in the beer. by the end of the movies, they're completely gone...it's hilarious. and they DO talk about the movie too...