Need help making Ernie

Danie and Lemmy

Reaction score
I've decided to make my first puppet, and I've decided to have Ernie be my first puppet. Has anyone ever made him before? I want him to come out professional quality but I've never made a puppet before and I was wondering if someone could tell me how to make a good Ernie.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
While making replicas of famous characters may seem like the way to begin, it takes lots of skill. I recommend creating your own characters first, and then once you've got a few under your belt, then trying to recreate someone. That being said, I recommend the Project Puppet simple series as a starting point. The patterns are really easy to follow, and require little sewing experience. They also come with ideas for customization.

If you still want to create Ernie, I would consider starting with PP's Melonhead pattern from the simple series, or the Ovale pattern from the Forma series.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
if this is your first puppet... i advise you to skip on Ernie for now. I made several puppets and learned how to make the next one better as i trained myself. Research forums, tip sites and videos help too.

I advise you because i tried Ernie without proper knowledge and FAILED. It looked like him, dont get me wrong... but i made his head SUPER LARGE... i cried and feared ever trying again. lol. I'd like to now that i have a better idea, but i'm afride of failure. I've made Cookie and Sherlock Hemlock... I'm in a LONG process of Telly, Grover, and Homer Honker.

I have the material for Telly n Grover... and made their foam skulls... but i stopped to do Homer First... which i'm still tryin to hunt affordable fabric down for. I would most likly do better hunting online, but i like seeing and feeling the fabric to see if it will work for me. I had good luck with the right fabrics... but i'm HORRIBLE with dy'n fur (tried 3 types and failed...)

Yea sry bout that but yes i say work on your own, learn by creating your worst mistakes BUT DO NOT GIVE UP. Every puppet gets better then the last. I know some ppl who feel they can't do better and give up... Not everyone can make their best on their first try. So, DONT GIVE UP.

HauntedPuppet

Reaction score
Professional puppet quality would be unobtainable for any first timer.

But you can still make a cool Ernie. Project Puppets melonhead would be the way to go. This way you will learn to stitch, glue foams, cut materials etc etc . . correctly.

And it will make a great Ernie that you can boast about that you made yourself.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Well sure.... that is if you want to do it the easy way :concern: