New Looney Tunes movie in development

mupcollector1

Reaction score
It really depends on the movie. The last 2 Looney Tunes live action hybrids had voice actors as those characters (though Brendan just had to do the voice of Taz for some reason... but it's not like they got the well established Jim Cummings to play him in Space Jam, either). Though I do notice celebrity VA's in other films... They had unrecognizable, stars who didn't even have top billing as the Chipmunks and Chippetes. Yet Dan Akroyd and Justin Timeberlake were plastered all over the Yogi movie (and frankly were the only ones who bothered, and Justin is eerily good as Boo Boo). But then again, I couldn't pick anyone better as An Ape named Ape than John Cleese. But Rocky and Bullwinkle did it right. June Foray as Rocky, a Jay Ward historian and voice actor as Bullwinkle and the narrator. And the human characters were surprisingly well cast. Like I always say, Jason Alexander has the same receding hairline as Boris.

She's a very awkward character, but I regret complaining about her Looney Tunes Show form. Lola was introduced as the girl character in a boy's club so girls would want to see the movie. She was to be an equal to, yet superior to Bugs. They awkwardly added her into their terrible Baby and Super Hero shows, she had a small role in the Tweety DTV, that's about it. But I've quite grown on her on the Looney Tunes Show. They made the character cartoonish and looney. She fits in perfectly now.
It would be nice if she had a more Harley Quinn quality to her, then I'd probably like her better as well. :smile: lol

John Cleese, can't go wrong with Mr. Sillywalks. lol He's great in everything he does, even as a duel rich person in Great Muppet Caper. I'm a huge Monty Python's Flying Circus fan :smile:

Someone else does Taz now other then Jim Cummings? I didn't know that. I got to listen to the other voice actors versions. I know in the voice acting industry if the original voice actor no longer performs the character, there's 3 back ups. For example Bugs Bunny there's Billy West, then two other guys. One of them (the one that's NOT on the Looney Tunes Show) he's really good. Though wasn't one of them also Johnny Bravo and Dexter's father on Dexter's Laboratory? I got to learn more of these voice actors' names. I already know my knowledge of Muppeteers and 90s voice actors but now I got to learn who took over Mel Blanc's voices.

I think the best Alvin and The Chipmunks voices I've heard were the ones on The Chipmunk Movie from 1987 because the actresses do both of the voices of The Chipmunks and Chirpettes. And relating to speed up voices, I love Billy West's Woody Woodpecker, I've seen a clip of the 90s show and I'd love to buy the DVDs when they come out. I've became a Woody Woodpecker fan within the past year or so :smile: Just another one of Comedy's screwball trickster legends :smile:

Teheheman

Reaction score
As far as Looney Tunes movies go, the reason that they work SO well in those old shorts are that they pack a LOT of different gags in a 5-7 minute span. You stretch that out and add a 90-minute to 120 minute story to all those gags, then it's kind of hard to take THAT many gags in THAT long of time AND have a story to support it. If they can find the sweet spot on the ration between the amount of gags vs. the amount of time plus the plot of the movie, then you might have something. I dunno, I guess I'd have to hear the plot, but I'm ALWAYS weary of when they say CG and classic characters ya know? Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
Someone else does Taz now other then Jim Cummings? I didn't know that. I got to listen to the other voice actors versions. I know in the voice acting industry if the original voice actor no longer performs the character, there's 3 back ups. For example Bugs Bunny there's Billy West, then two other guys.
Actually, aside from both movies, the show where they're babies, and talking toy merchandise (mostly Halmark ornaments and plush toys), Jim is pretty much the official Taz. He even voices him in the Looney Tunes show. He's one of the few characters they don't constantly recast, right up there with June Foray's Granny (she put her foot down when they tried to cast someone else for Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries) and Bob Bergen as Proky (Billy West or someone did him in one of the new 7 minute cartoons when Back in Action came out). Everyone else is inconsistent and depends on who's available.

Jim does an even better Taz than Mel Blanc, I think. Mainly because he made the character his own, when Taz was only in like 3 or 4 cartoons before Taz-Mania came out and his popularity skyrocketed.

As far as Looney Tunes movies go, the reason that they work SO well in those old shorts are that they pack a LOT of different gags in a 5-7 minute span. You stretch that out and add a 90-minute to 120 minute story to all those gags, then it's kind of hard to take THAT many gags in THAT long of time AND have a story to support it. If they can find the sweet spot on the ration between the amount of gags vs. the amount of time plus the plot of the movie, then you might have something. I dunno, I guess I'd have to hear the plot, but I'm ALWAYS weary of when they say CG and classic characters ya know? Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
They even referenced that in Tiny Toons. One of them said "when it comes to cartoons, us old timers only have a 7 minute attention span." 90 minutes of Looney Tunes gags in a consistent plot wouldn't work because they'd need to establish a large enough plot to work in a film, and there needs to be a lull in the action for character development. Back in Action tried very hard to give Daffy some character, and give some depth to Daffy's relationship with Bugs, and that deep down they care for each other as friends. Not to mention Daffy's jealousy got some refreshing depth to it. Too bad they spent more time exploring Brendan and Jenna's characters. But then again, the movie had Executive Meddling all over. They had a stronger Batman parody opening and a Yakko, Wakko and Dot cameo that were deleted from the film (at least you can see the deleted Batman opening if you get the DVD).

As for the CGI, the new CGI shorts prove they can make it look good and just as cartoony as their original selves instead of the stiffness usually associated with CGI. Too bad the Looney Tunes Show Road Runner Shorts don't look that good.

mupcollector1

Reaction score

Daniel
As for me, I love movies with fast pace non-stop gags like the Zucker Brothers films and Mel Brooks films. So I won't mind if they packaged gags through out, as long as it's true to the Termite Terrace days, and there's barely any self censorship that's all I care about. That's like Tex Avery directing a cartoon feature, that would be amazing. The Mask is good, it's a nice tribute but it's more of bringing a comic to the big screen. But imaginary Tex Avery directing a cartoon movie, and how much fun he can have with it breaking the 4th wall and such. Only if Tex Avery and Bob Clampett were alive today still doing that wacky cartooning, what would they do spoofing this current modern society. lol :smile: Tex would probably make another equal to his "of tomorrow" shorts like "computer of tomorrow, phone of tomorrow" or something like that. lol

mupcollector1

Reaction score
June Forey is great. Though how come she's not Witch Hazel anymore? It's her and Frank Welker, they are probably the longest working voice actors who are still with us, bless them :smile:

I'm starting to get into Tiny Toons and Animaniacs again. Some of the Ren & Stimpy folk like Eddie Fitzgerald worked on Tiny Toons. I think these shows were the closest to reviving Looney Tunes as WB ever got in my opinion. I'd love to see more Tiny Toons. I got to find that episode where Mad Max (the bully character who slightly looks like Elmer Fudd) had a Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtle doll as well as his other toys and he kept destroying them and blew them up and he lost everything he ever owned and his parents stop buying him toys and he fells guilty. I got to find which episode this is, it's been decades.

As for Looney Tunes in theaters, I'd love to see some shorts again. Theaters need to play shorts again. Is there a reason why movie theaters don't have shorts and double features anymore? Shorts should come back to the big screen. It's better then those Facebook adverts and TV commercials that are in theaters now. lol At least product placing isn't as bad, yet I don't go to the theaters unless I see something super good. :smile:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Is this movie still happening? I haven't seen any news since this announcement. I'm really excited to see something like this!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I mean, it was only announced a few months ago. If it is happening, we probably won't hear anything until they start shooting, assuming they've finished the script.

Drtooth

Reaction score
:grr: There is NOTHING okay about Space Jam. :grouchy:
I quite beg to differ. It's not a great movie by any means and completely based on a far superior sneaker commercials. At worst, you're watching 2 movies. A meh sports story film and a pretty good, fourth wall smashing, fully animated, all inclusive Looney Tunes story line that just so happens to have celebrity guest stars. I keep saying to myself, Man I REALLY hate Space Jam... until I get the chance to actually watch it. Especially Danny Devito as the villain. The Looney Tunes make the most of a completely stupid concept. Not to mention that Wayne Knight and Bill Murray are completely underrated in this film. If nothing else, Bill's cameo was great for the "I didn't know Dan Akyrod was in this picture" line alone.

Overall, I like Back in Action much better, but the sad thing is, Space Jam has a more coherent plot. BIA tried way too hard to shove too many things into one movie. Character development of Bugs and Daffy, character development for the human stars, referencing as many Looney Tunes cliches as possible to the point where it's hard to tell if they're being parodied or it's an homage, parodying spy movies, parodying the DaVinci Code, parodying Indiana Jones. I mean, it's a good movie and everything, but there's too much stuff going on.

Suffice to say, Space Jam gets right what BIA gets wrong and BIA gets right what Space Jam gets wrong. There's a middle that needs to be reached, but they're clearly looking only at their shocking surprise hit Yogi film for inspiration. We're going to get a poorly cast Elmer Fudd played by someone who's too young, and can't emote, and doesn't enjoy being there. Oh... and I bet he falls in love with a flimsy Mary Sue.

Drtooth

Reaction score
BUMP...

This was just posted...

Test footage of the (thankfully pulled) Hong Kong Phooey and Marvin the Martian movies.

Now, I think an HKP movie has potential, but there are are a couple things about that footage that bug me. Did we need the whole "Dogs drink from toilets" tie in? It ruins the established "anthro dog human among humans" bit, and that bothers me worse than it being juvenile. Spot's a real cat? Going for Garfield, I see. They did know that was the one thing Inspector Gadget got totally wrong, considering Spot's the one that usually saves the day. And he seems to be a little too hyper instead of laid back. He's almost like Dudley from TUFF Puppy here.

The Marvin movie looks like it could have had potential, actually. Had Marvin been about the size of a medium sized child instead of a toy and not had to have blue eyes for some reason, that's actually a really good looking design. It unfortunately looks like the potential to be annoying flat/Totally Radical kids with a crazy CGI sidekick, but over all not as juvenile as the first bit.