1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

New Muppets movie must be almost all bluescreen

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Puppet crazy, Jun 6, 2012.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. Puppet crazy

Puppet crazy Member

I have a DVD player that allows you to zoom out giving you more of the picture. Sometimes this allows you to see things that are not meant to be in shot or other times just a black frame.

I tried it with the new Muppets Movie. To my surprise all the shots below Muppet waist level shows their legs (except Kermit)
    and the Muppets with live action hands - their elbows with no puppet sleeves or puppeteers in view in almost every scene.

This must mean blue screen was used in almost the whole movie? Perhaps it's something to do with the technique they used to remove the rods?
    Has anyone else tried this?
    What is unusual is, if they did this, why they did not show them purposely below waist more often. Perhaps it gives too much of a CGI type appearance?
  2. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

It was blue-screen sometimes; other times they were live on the set and the performers and the arm rods were digitally erased. It's a subtle touch that works nicely.
  4. Puppet crazy

Puppet crazy Member

Perhaps the technique they use erases anything blue/green automatically and the puppeteers sleeves and Muppet "elbow sleeves" were made the same colour as the arm rods.
  5. Puppet crazy

Puppet crazy Member

6. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

what dvd player do u have?
  7. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

It works for full-bodied shots (like Walter dancing), but it takes away from the warmth, realism, and believability of the scene if they basically green-screen or blue screen the location entirely. I know it's "cheaper" to do it that way, but really, can't the movie industry find other areas to trim the budget so the actual work itself doesn't have to suffer by LOOKING like a cheaply-made movie?

I AM curious though as to how they were able to successful do chromakey with Zoot, considering his hair is basically the same color as the blue screen.
    WillyThePig likes this.
  8. muppetlover123

im wondering how they shot the theme song
  9. D'Snowth

There's a video of it on Vimeo: it's basically almost like Photoshop, they shot each individual character (against bluescreen), then super-imposed them into the arches, then super-imposed all of them into the final shot.
  10. Oscarfan

...there's also the greenscreen. They used both, depending on the color of the character.
  11. muppetlover123

got a link to the video
  12. D'Snowth

I'm talking about the example photo used in the article in the link above.
  13. Oscarfan

Ah. I'm pretty sure it's all in the lighting. Looking at the image, yeah, their colors are similar, but Zoot's is a deeper blue.
  14. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Careful fine tuning. If you mess with it long enough, you can get the perfect shade of color, and only that shade to be erased.

As I was watching the movie, I had the feeling a lot of it was shot with bluescreen. But at least its convincing. There is nothing more jarring than bad use of chromakey
  15. D'Snowth

That's good, because I've often wondered how I would be able to tackle doing any kind of successful chromakey in the event of a character (like Zoot) has BOTH green AND blue in its color scheme.
  16. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Typically, you want to avoid doing that completely. You can use other colors, but green and blue do tend to work best.
  17. muppetlover123

video link?
  18. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

See, I don't quite get this. Like, I see why blue screen needed to be used for Walter in that scene, but the other two examples, EM and Kermit talking to the Muppets, I see no reason that blue screen would've been necessary. We already shot all the Muppets, so just go and put Kermit facing them, and shoot it. Can't the EM actually be shot on location? I know it might save them a bit of money, but as D'Snowth said, I think there's better alternatives to saving money than to use all that blue screen...
  19. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

It saves them a lot of time and money. Imagine, they have to bring all their cameras, and puppeteers to the subway station, to film a four second scene. Plus, they have to rent out the station for the day. This way, it probably took them an hour to get it right, instead of having to go through all that trouble to get the subway scene.
    Truthfully, when I watched the movie, I had no idea that it was blue screen until I read this article.
  20. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

What about for the Kermit facing the Muppets scene? Why did Kermit have to be done on blue screen? All they would've had to do was put Kermit's back facing the camera and shoot him along with it...

And I do see your point on the subway scene, but my point is that I think that we could find better, more productive ways to make money and save time than not going to a subway station.