New Short Film

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
So some friends of mine & I made a short film for a 24-hour film competition. So we did this thing in 24 hours.

Sadly I was only involved in the first half. I was on my death-bed (ok not really, I was just pretty darn sick & had to go home before we finished). I'm actually kindof down on myself for not sticking it out & finishing the film.

I play the rock in the first half of the film & was a writer.

Anyway, we won best use of prop (that day's newspaper) & 2nd place overall and the film will go on to the Phoenix Film Festival in April.

Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joFQH2NFdSQ&feature=channel_page

It was really interesting to do some found object puppetry. Totally inspired by Kurt Hunter's marionette show featuring a box as the main character. He got so much emotion and had such a sweet story that went along with it. Granted, we didn't necessarily have a sweet story that went along with it, but just getting emotion (or attempting to) out of something without a face, feet, arms, etc. was a neat challenge!

I was heck-bent (aah? see that? censor dodger!) on making a stop-motion animation film in 24 hours. I'm glad I had friends that could pull it off, too.

Jinx

Reaction score
That was extraordinary! Great concept, and amazingly done in 24 hours! I would never attempt stop motion for a 24 hour film!

I love the "found objects" style. One of my current favorite examples is the current campaign that Swiffer is doing the the "Baby Come Back" theme and the mops & dusters peeking out from behind things. Hilarious!

I hope you win in April!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oh that's fantastic. I love the Rock, Paper, Scissors concept! The rock had a really cool character, somehow, and I was kinda hurt when the mean old paper took him out...

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Thank you, guys!

Paper got it in the end though..so...that's all good, right?

I'm seriously all over stop-motion. I'm hoping to do more soon.

Jinx

Reaction score
It does make me want to explore stop-motion as a medium again. A million years ago in high school I animated a sequence for our epic film Attack of the Snow Shark. It was a rubber shark "swimming" through the snow immediately before an attack. It took forever, and I got frost-bitten fingers, but it looked soooo good!

Of course it was so long ago it was done on film! I don't even know that I would know how to approach it for video...

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
If you were in Phoenix I'd say come to the puppetry guild tomorrow. We're going to go over how to do an easy stop-motion. There's some pretty good, inexpensive software available that can show you your last frame shadowed over your current frame, but then there's the good & dirty, old fashioned (haha) importing consecutive digital photos & adding them super-fast slide-show style to a movie editing software.

RockerRob

Reaction score
I loved the short. I have been wanting to do a bit of stop motion. What is the program called that you used to see your last and current frame simultaneously? I've actually been wanting something like that for a while.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
its called istop motion and its free for macs.

there's a good one, I hear for PC (which is what I have) called monkeyjam. There's an animation instructor in our puppetry guild (i had -no- idea) that's had quite a bit of experience with stop motion (i want to steal his armatures) that recommended that program.

those both have free trials.