New Toy Story Short Celebrates Kid's Meal Toys!

beaker

Reaction score
I know the feeling on Cars 2 - I am curious about Brave, the preview was better than I was expecting anyway.
I want to be excited about Brave. I guess Ive just seen that look and theme so often in kids movies, that the cgi doesnt "pop" for me or blow me away like the trailer for Up did. It has the trademark Pixar skin/hue thing on the human faces, which they started using in Ratatooie which I like. But I dont know, other than the main character it didnt really grab me. Curious about Monster University tho

Drtooth

Reaction score
VISIONARY. Holy cow. Seriously. 5 minutes? I dont care, this beat the pants off of Toy Story 3(which I felt was un-fun and depressing) In fact, Id say "Small Fry" is one of the best things Toy Story wise since the first film. The look, the feel...my gosh I was laughing so hard yet in awe at the same time...each time a kids meal toy was introduced I was cracking up(as I totally got each reference and what time period it was suppose to be) They made fun of all those lame Dreamworks toy mcdonalds meal toys, the really cool late 90's and 80's toys, the oddball cartoon network and even video game toys.
This seemed more Toy Story like than the last one. Any character and any franchise could have been re-written to fit that sort of thing. In fact, Monsters Inc would have been funnier, making a monster like vacation... but this one spoke to me as a Kid's Food toy collector. I mean, it's hypocritical that they refuse to have McD's toys of these characters, but it's fun to see them get a nod. Like how the references work on the level of forgotten kid's cartoon not deemed good enough for retail action figures/PVC/Bendies and some of the weird toys they just make up in half the cases. LOVED the Changables reference. If they pulled a Hawaiin vacation and made toys based on this one too, I'd actually get some. Surprised they didn't reference any activity books... like any kid wants those.

beaker

Reaction score
This seemed more Toy Story like than the last one. Any character and any franchise could have been re-written to fit that sort of thing. In fact, Monsters Inc would have been funnier, making a monster like vacation... but this one spoke to me as a Kid's Food toy collector. I mean, it's hypocritical that they refuse to have McD's toys of these characters, but it's fun to see them get a nod. Like how the references work on the level of forgotten kid's cartoon not deemed good enough for retail action figures/PVC/Bendies and some of the weird toys they just make up in half the cases. LOVED the Changables reference. If they pulled a Hawaiin vacation and made toys based on this one too, I'd actually get some. Surprised they didn't reference any activity books... like any kid wants those.
LOL, yeah that woulda been the icing on the cake if they had referenced how lame parent groups want to phase out kids meal toys altogether and the advent of activity booklets. But as is so many happy meal tropes were thrown in there(the display cases they refuse to sell, the lame action on some of them, the toys for completely random stuff noone would want, etc) Seeing the short a second time was just as amazing.

Also good to know a fellow kids meal toy enthusist on here! Ive been known to pay up to $40 on ebay for just one kids meal toy, but i prefer goodwill and flea markets.

I dont know if theyd make figures based on these toys, I mean itd be amazing. But given many are obvious spoofs not sure if they would. And man I lovve the naive innocence of Rex. AND I LOVE that part where the little girl is all "bye toys!"

Drtooth

Reaction score
LOL, yeah that woulda been the icing on the cake if they had referenced how lame parent groups want to phase out kids meal toys altogether and the advent of activity booklets. But as is so many happy meal tropes were thrown in there(the display cases they refuse to sell, the lame action on some of them, the toys for completely random stuff noone would want, etc) Seeing the short a second time was just as amazing.

They raffle off those display cases to employees, in case anyone's wondering. I actually heard someone say that once. I forget to who.

As for Activity books, Wendy's ALWAYS had them... Activity books, crappy ball bearing games, cardboard puzzles and board games... yech! How can they have a MOC Mario figure and a cheap card board game in the same promotion?

beaker

Reaction score
They raffle off those display cases to employees, in case anyone's wondering. I actually heard someone say that once. I forget to who.

As for Activity books, Wendy's ALWAYS had them... Activity books, crappy ball bearing games, cardboard puzzles and board games... yech! How can they have a MOC Mario figure and a cheap card board game in the same promotion?
Oh thats right...but man the 2002 and 2004 Mario Wendys kids meals were amazing. The Burger King ones were cool too. I just love combing through ebay's extensive fast food premiums section and seeing all of the worlds countless kids meal toys. If I had a lot of money Id get everyone I wanted.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I know the feeling on Cars 2 - I am curious about Brave, the preview was better than I was expecting anyway.[/quot
It's gonna be Pixar's first original movie in 3 years. I'm glad we're having a break before Monster's University (They better not mess that one up! I love Monster's Inc.) Cars 2 was alright. The first was much better though. From reviews I expected to be as bad as Shrek the Third. Now that I said that back to the Toy Story Short!
This one was much much much better than the Hawaiian Vacation I think. It really made fun of how dumb some fast food toys are!