New Year's Episode

iwannabegs

Reaction score
Hiiiiii!

Hmm, I'm becoming a board hog! Alrighty, back in the 90's, there was an episode that was set on New Year's Eve...may have been 1994-1995...anyway, it showed kids around the world and how they celebrate New Year's Eve. The Sesame Street grown-ups and kids were eating grapes and the owl played his saxophone...I don't really remember anything else! Anyelse remember this? :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yes, I remember this special. Some Rich Tycoon Was going to Bull dose Sesame Street down to a theme park, and when all of the grownups left to celebrate news years, the kids and the Muppet's save the street. I think Telly is inspired by some advice from Bob and Luis or something.

iwannabegs

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Yes, I remember this special. Some Rich Tycoon Was going to Bull dose Sesame Street down to a theme park, and when all of the grownups left to celebrate news years, the kids and the Muppet's save the street. I think Telly is inspired by some advice from Bob and Luis or something.
That would be the one!

JLG

Reaction score
I'm remembering a completely different one----there was a New Year's special once where everyone's excited about the new year (1997, I think), and Telly's afraid of it. "Wh-wh-what if I don't LIKE the new year? Wh-what if it's scary? Oh no! I'll have to hide someplace where it can't find me!" That kind of thing. Maria eventually straightens him out.

The only other thing I remember about it is that Grover had a job as a cab driver, and most of the human characters got into his taxi to go to some party, and he kept getting lost. I remember thinking that this special was letting them get far angrier than the show itself ever did.

Did anyone else see this?

BEAR

Reaction score
JLG said:
I'm remembering a completely different one----there was a New Year's special once where everyone's excited about the new year (1997, I think), and Telly's afraid of it. "Wh-wh-what if I don't LIKE the new year? Wh-what if it's scary? Oh no! I'll have to hide someplace where it can't find me!" That kind of thing. Maria eventually straightens him out.

The only other thing I remember about it is that Grover had a job as a cab driver, and most of the human characters got into his taxi to go to some party, and he kept getting lost. I remember thinking that this special was letting them get far angrier than the show itself ever did.

Did anyone else see this?

Actually, you are all getting a bit mixed up.
JLG, you are right about the first part regarding Telly's fear about the New Year, but it was Gina who helps him. That was the New Year's special along with characters from the different Sesame Street versions showing how people in other countries celebrate New Years.

The thing about Grover as a cab driver is from a completely different special called Elmopalooza, except for the fact he was driving Gina, Bob, Gordon, Susan and Mr. Hanford to Radio City Music Hall in a limo. And yes, they still kept getting lost.

iwannabegs

Reaction score
JLG said:

Yeah, that sounds more like it! Telly hid in a lampshade I remember! :smile: Grr...I can't find this on YouTube...someone feel like posting it if they have it?! :flirt:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Actually, the special I was talking about came out in 1994. Not sure if it was a new Year's Eve special either. I have never seen the one that aired in 1997, but I would like to see it. Was it on PBS?

BEAR

Reaction score
You can buy or rent this at a video store.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Thanks Bear. The one I was talking about was the 25 anniversary special that aired on abc. I know Toys R Us has a lot of sesame Street videos.