next question... darts and how they work?

Goochman

Reaction score
Okay so I've realy gotten the hang of working with the foam as far as cutting and glueing, now I'm trying to figure out how darts work. I understand the concept, you cut a v shape and you get a curve. What I'm trying to learn is how to angles and depth affect the curves? Is there a good link anyone has that they can share on this?
:scary:

Melonpool

Reaction score
I think it's just something you have to experiment with, I know that I was intimidated by them at first, but now I can look at a shape and figure out where the darts need to go about 90% of the time. With refinement, I can usually get them in the right place eventually.

I know this isn't much help, but I suggest getting a cheap piece of foam and doing some experimentation. Also, the Foam Book has some pretty good explanations of what basic darts do.

Goochman

Reaction score
I know this isn't much help, but I suggest getting a cheap piece of foam and doing some experimentation. Also, the Foam Book has some pretty good explanations of what basic darts do.
that's good advice, I got a few cheap pieces that I've been playing with. I was sort of torn on getting the foam book, I've heard mixed reactions about it. Do you really think it's worth it?

Melonpool

Reaction score
In that respect, it's pretty good -- but that's about 4-5 pages of good material out of a 100-odd page book. And it's pretty basic. There's also a lot of bad advice in there too (using spray adhesive to glue foam instead of contact cement).

The one big plus in the book is that it doesn;t show you how to build any specific puppets -- it basically teaches you the skills necessary to tackle your own projects. For that, it's a good book, but if you're already well on your way, you probably don't need it.