Non-singing guests

Sean Gaffney

Reaction score
Having just watched the Harvey Korman episode on the DVD, it occurred to me: he never sings. Yes, he's a comic, but they had other comics on too, and they all sang.

Is Harvey the only guest not to do a song?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Johnathan Winters didn't do a song either. neither did the Mummenshaz (and I guess Shields and Yarnell didn't, either) or Senor Wenches.

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
Peter Ustinov didn't sing, so "It's Not Easy Bein' Green" was slipped in as a closing number, John Cleese managed to avoid singing old show tunes but did plug his record album "John Cleese: A Man and His Music". I don't think that Steve Martin actually sang either, or did he?

That Announcer

Reaction score
Harvey Towers said:
Peter Ustinov didn't sing, so "It's Not Easy Bein' Green" was slipped in as a closing number, John Cleese managed to avoid singing old show tunes but did plug his record album "John Cleese: A Man and His Music". I don't think that Steve Martin actually sang either, or did he?
I think he did one song on the banjo, but whether or not he actually sang is a different story. I know his song had lyrics, but it's been a while since I've heard it, so I'm not too sure.

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
I remeber him playing the banjo, but I think he was more of an accompanist, he sang the words "rambling guy" (?) repeatedly to open one of his acts, but it wasn't really a song.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
although he did appear in the closing number, Don Knotts didn't sing. I don't think Phyllys Diller sang either.

David French

Reaction score
Season One: Peter Ustinov, Harvey Korman, Phyllis Diller, Avery Schreiber, Juliet Prowse, Mummenschanz

Season Two: Don Knotts, Steve Martin, George Burns, John Cleese

Season Three: Spike Milligan(?)

Season Four: Victor Borge(?), Jonathan Winters, Doug Henning

Season Five: Jean-Pierre Rampal, Chris Langham, Wally Boag(?), Senor Wences

Sean Gaffney

Reaction score
Well, so much for my brilliant memory. Thanks to all!

George Burns did sing, though. "You made me love you, I didn't want to do it..."

David French

Reaction score
Sean Gaffney said:
Well, so much for my brilliant memory. Thanks to all!

George Burns did sing, though. "You made me love you, I didn't want to do it..."
My memory is that he spoke the lines but didn't sing. In saying that, did he sing his first number or did he speak it?

Sean Gaffney

Reaction score
David French said:
My memory is that he spoke the lines but didn't sing. In saying that, did he sing his first number or did he speak it?
He spoke some of the song (the It All Depends on You part), but at other points he was genuinely singing. In contrast to, say, Spike Milligan, who speaks along with It's a Small World but clearly is not hitting notes.