1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

"Not-real Kermit" Benefit Appearance

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Keeermit, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Keeermit

Keeermit Active Member

As I said in the title I'm pretty sure Disney wouldnt be happy with this! As i have heard in the past he is not a big favorite of the Henson/Disney Company since he left on bad terms ( dont know the full story just rumors) - But I'm sure he knows better than to use a Kermit replica for a live performance - even if it does sound more like Nicky from Avenue Q . And I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be performing for free. I think fan made videos on youtube are one thing - but performing it live somewhere could be dangerous. I have mixed feelings about it, What do you think about this?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=cb_nxE1wI2U
  2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

The performance was good. Kermit's gestures were a little too sharp for the mellow fifty-something frog. The puppet also looked nice. I just don't think he should be doing this on stage. Heck, if this were a kid's school talent show it would be a different story, but this appears to be a paid comedy club bit. I'm sure he's not making much from this performance, but the frog does not belong to him. I consider him somewhat of a Doc Hopper for running with this without the appropriate permission. Why doesn't he get his own puppet out there and start his own following? I'm sure he could manage something. That's my word on it.
  3. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I think that was for a benefit.
  4. ravagefrackle

ravagefrackle New Member

It was for somthing called the "Sonnet Benefit", free perfromance, the song was from the proposed muiscal film staring the muppets called Kermit Prince of Denmark, bobby lopez and jeff marx wrote it before creating Avenue Q, Rick had helped them workshop that script as well,

unpaid gig, and the procedes went to charity., and no one claims it to be the genuine Kermit,
  5. heralde

Exactly, that's what I figured.
  6. Keeermit

Keeermit Active Member

oh thanks for the extra information :) Its always good to know the stories behind the youtube videos that people put up.
  7. heralde

Yeah I love the Internet and don't want it regulated too much, but one problem is information isn't always properly transmitted.
  8. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

A benefit is okay I guess. Still that could get sticky. Some charities have been known for mismanagement and Disney wouldn't want Kermit associated with that. I'm sure this charity is legit, but it would be better for them to contact Disney or create original puppets. Does anybody know what they were raising money for?
  9. heralde

10. Keeermit

Keeermit Active Member

well after looking at the broadway world article - I am confused :) . It says "Rick Lyon and Kermit the Frog" not "Rick Lyon and a Kermit Tribute" or anything like that - that is a little sticky as far as im concerned. Not that it makes any difference to my life - but I wouldnt want Rick Lyon to get into trouble from Disney ( not that he would I'm sure ) . Im sure most of the audience thought it was the real kermit - even if it did look more like a "vault of puppets" kermit - i'm sure Rick made him. Ok i've said enough on this topic - So it must be fine for any of us to use muppet replica puppets for charity events - thats good to know. :)
  11. muppetinsider

muppetinsider New Member

You're right, it did look better then the real Kermit!
  12. ravagefrackle

ravagefrackle New Member

i belive Rick refers to the puppet as Kermit the Fraud Jokingly,

he cant be responsabl for whatthe pare or articles print , but what ever , it was clearly done with respect and good intentions,and was not supposed to be filmed and put on youtube anyway.
  13. Keeermit

Keeermit Active Member

By the way I am just kidding - I don't really care eitherway what people do, life goes on - enjoy it :)
  14. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Has there been anything written anywhere that Disney didn't give permission? I know they will allow their characters on a headstone as long as they don't touch another company's characters, or extra fees are charged to use the characters.
  15. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

When was this recorded? Kermit Prince of Denmark was prior to Disney acquiring the Muppets...or was this more recent?

Edit: Checked the Sonnet website, I'm assuming this was recent then?
  16. heralde

Yes it looks like November of this year.
  17. mummytomb

mummytomb Member

Seriously, friends. I'm sure Disney can take care of themselves. At least this guy is doing something with the character. How about that 50th year celebration?
    ...and before any of you cite the Christmas Special, That's still to long to wait.
    ...and pleasedon't bring up the Disney Channel show designed to promote other Disney properties. They've jus become Disney's puppets(pun intended).
    I don't mean to sound bitter, but we all know that these characters are historical in the world of entertainment and need to be working as such.
  18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Disney seems to be cracking down recently and technically it is unethical to perform another person's character for money without consent even if it does go to charity. However, I do think this should be overlooked and it probably will.

I will have to agree that Disney’s dropping the Kermit’s 50th anniversary world tour was lame.

There’s nothing to be bitter about anymore. The past is the past. There were some fizzled attempts, but Eisner’s fingerprints and the many changes in management are no longer tainting the Muppets. It’s a new day and Disney is laying out a foundation of support through various specials and appearances until the eventual movie and likely a television series to follow. They’re not just tossing the characters out there and demanding an audience or else they’ll tuck them away again. Disney is giving the Muppets a much needed reintroduction. They’re not “Disney’s Muppets” and never will be. They know that. The clips from the NBC special look the most like “Jim Henson’s Muppets” since he was alive. Not even under the 90s Henson ownership have the Muppets seemed this natural and comfortable in their own fleece and foam skin.

This is about to be a very strong brand again – rooted in the character personalities we know and loved and supported by media powerhouse Disney. They’re finally doing good by the Muppets and I don’t blame them for protecting their efforts if they choose. ;)
  19. MGov

MGov New Member

Yeah. Gotta wait a whole two weeks.

:rolleyes:
  20. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Right now, I just cannot see any naysayers about The Muppets' future at this point in time. There is a LOT going on, production and merchandise wise, and if it's overlooked by fans they are missing out. Whether TV, the possible movie, the Muppets.com stuff...it all is smelling of the great glory days of the Muppets. I think right now Jim would be pleased.

The past couple of years' worth of nothingness probably not; but, Disney has cranked up the machine and appears to be driving it full steam ahead!