Now this has gone TOO far

Drtooth

Reaction score
Guess what childhood thing they're killing now to pretend to save people from themselves. Kid's meal fast food premiums! :mad: Apparently some Californian county is outlawing the sale of them.

I have become increasingly sickened these past few years from self serving parental groups trying to destroy everything kids like for their own selfish desires. This is just another new low.

Now, yes... I understand how super duper evil every single company that exists is, and all that. But first of all, killing cartoons and kid's premiums and all that is NOT going to stop little Sidney from grabbing a case of Red Bull, a case of Doritos and an X-box and locking themselves in their room for 10 hours a day. It's not going to stop local schools and their sweetheart deals with companies that make even worse food for school lunches, and it's not gonna help mommy and daddy get a good enough pay check to buy local.

This IS going to blow up, and this IS going to be all over the country. And that is extremely selfish to take away kid's toys so parents don't have to actually raise their kids. And to us collectors, it's a painful slap in the face. These are the cheapest (and in some cases the BEST) collectible figures out there. Most TV shows ONLY get fast food premium merchandise (I love my Taco bell Super Cow). And the worst part is, this is essentially throwing a dixie cup half full of water at a raging fire to try to put it out.

There are MANY reasons why everyone's health is terrible, and fast food is a part of it. But Shrek figurines aren't causing people to sit in one spot all day and waddle back and forth to the fridge to eat cheap gunk that's the only thing they can afford.

I'm sorry. but I'm sick of this. If you're so dedicated to the cause, go to the roots and yank them out. You just don't trim around the edges and make the problem magically go away.

TelephoneRock

Reaction score
I heard all about it on Yahoo. I'm kinda ticked myself. Just because kids get a free toy with their meal doesn't mean they'll be coming back to stuff their face more and more. As much as I want kids to be healthy, taking away something as timeless as a Gobo Fraggle carrot car isn't going to solve anything.

Some people make me mad. -__-"

Drtooth

Reaction score
I heard all about it on Yahoo. I'm kinda ticked myself. Just because kids get a free toy with their meal doesn't mean they'll be coming back to stuff their face more and more. As much as I want kids to be healthy, taking away something as timeless as a Gobo Fraggle carrot car isn't going to solve anything.
I've said it many times... if you don't want your kid eating that stuff and they still want the toy, you can 9 times out of 10 buy it separately. I go to Burger King every time the toy is good and get as many as I can. And I haven't eaten at a BK since the Simpsons movie came out. Their food... eh... doesn't agree with me. Only place that won't sell toys separately in my experience was Wendy's...and their toys aren't really all that great now anyway. Worst case scenario, there's ALWAYS eBay. You'll always find a full set there.

Again, I understand kids need to be healthy, but this is bull. Plain and simple black and white "everything is Joe Camel" thinking that lead to the demise of broadcast kid's programming that doesn't help further the cause of solving the health crisis at all. Where are these people when KFC unveiled the 2 thick fried chicken breast with bacon and cheese in between it? Where are these people when BK comes up with egg omelet breakfast sandwiches? Adults are MORE susceptible to advertisements than children ever are. And even then, the parent has the final say in what their kids should and shouldn't have. They chose to wave that right, whine and moan for legislation, and make sure the government protects their kids from having to make choices (better than protecting people from predatory loans, credit card companies, and other criminals combined).

Again, I stress... there are REAL solutions to the health crisis. You want people to make smart choices? make sure they get the pocket cash so making those choices is easier on the wallet. Have school cafeterias serve food better than Banquet frozen dinners. Make sure we care about what's inside the wrapper MORE than what's on it. Ten to one, Batman's not going to make kids want the same candy they'd eat anyway all that much more.... unless they're like me, who obsessively collects ANYTHING with a cartoon character on it. But I'm obsessed.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree that the government should also keep their noses out of other people's business. What's next...bringing back all the blue-laws? If they really want to butt-in, give tax credits that reward families’ healthy habits.

Still - - parents need to stop treating McDonald's like a cafeteria for their child's nutritional needs. Fast food from hamburger joints, pizzarias and tacarias, is a treat...not an everyday meal. Parents have become far too lazy!

That's still no excuse. Let the kids have Happy Meals!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Still - - parents need to stop treating McDonald's like a cafeteria for their child's nutritional needs. Fast food from hamburger joints, pizzarias and tacarias, is a treat...not an everyday meal. Parents have become far too lazy!
That's what I feel. Sure, there are the families that unfortunately have NO cash and have to make cheap junk food a regular occurring thing (which also means regular frozen dinners... which are even WORSE!)

When it comes down to it, if you have to take your kid to McD's, I'd MUCH rather them get the small hamburger, small drink, and small fries package than the biggest thing on the menu and a shake, which IS what I've seen all to many times. I saw a kid eat a Taco Bell Nacho boat bigger than his head like it was a sandwich. That's the problem. I also noticed this whole obesity thing really seems to come in with older children who think running around and playing is beneath them.

Heck, even as someone in their late 20's, a small hamburger, fries and a small drink fill me up.

I find this nothing more than grandstanding by self righteous parental groups who want to take something down without actually taking care of their children (if they even have any). This is no different than over censorship of kid's television, overly-PC cave ins in the same medium, and whining that TV and video games and movies don't have ratings, and then ignoring them when they get it. Not to mention all those groups that make sure kids can't play tag, dodgeball, or anything that requires running and movement in schools so they don't get skinned knees, or some made of sexual harassment garbage. :boo:

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
And even then, the parent has the final say in what their kids should and shouldn't have.
i wanna say to this, from what I've seen with my friends who have children and sometimes working with children I've noticed most parents of today want someone else to blame when their kid isn't "normal" or healthy

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's like people who own dogs that don't clean up their poo poos when they take them for walks. That's not responsible, and neither is blaming everyone else. Sure, there are factors that can be beyond a parent's control (don't wanna list them all here... being bullied is one thing), but the parents have the unmitigated right to say NO! No is the worst word in the eyes of a child, but it's a very important one.

Animal31

Reaction score
Guess what childhood thing they're killing now to pretend to save people from themselves. Kid's meal fast food premiums! :mad: Apparently some Californian county is outlawing the sale of them.

I have become increasingly sickened these past few years from self serving parental groups trying to destroy everything kids like for their own selfish desires. This is just another new low.

Now, yes... I understand how super duper evil every single company that exists is, and all that. But first of all, killing cartoons and kid's premiums and all that is NOT going to stop little Sidney from grabbing a case of Red Bull, a case of Doritos and an X-box and locking themselves in their room for 10 hours a day. It's not going to stop local schools and their sweetheart deals with companies that make even worse food for school lunches, and it's not gonna help mommy and daddy get a good enough pay check to buy local.

This IS going to blow up, and this IS going to be all over the country. And that is extremely selfish to take away kid's toys so parents don't have to actually raise their kids. And to us collectors, it's a painful slap in the face. These are the cheapest (and in some cases the BEST) collectible figures out there. Most TV shows ONLY get fast food premium merchandise (I love my Taco bell Super Cow). And the worst part is, this is essentially throwing a dixie cup half full of water at a raging fire to try to put it out.

There are MANY reasons why everyone's health is terrible, and fast food is a part of it. But Shrek figurines aren't causing people to sit in one spot all day and waddle back and forth to the fridge to eat cheap gunk that's the only thing they can afford.

I'm sorry. but I'm sick of this. If you're so dedicated to the cause, go to the roots and yank them out. You just don't trim around the edges and make the problem magically go away.

Absolutely 100% with you! We've evidently become a society that cannot think for ourselves whatsoever without the help of someone else getting in our business. Everything else wrong in this world and their major concern is Happy Meal toys?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing that's cool about happy meals and such is that a property with hundreads of characters (like the Muppets) can be made as a happy meal and several characters can be included, and it most likely wouldn't matter how popular the characters are, because people usually don't know what happy meal toy they'll get until they get it. And there are times when happy meals have promotions with close to a hundred toys (I remember the first time Burger King did one of those Pokemon promotions... It made me wish Burger King or McDonald's would have done the same for the Muppets).