Now what's going on with YouTube?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Google Images keeps crashing for no reason: half the time whenever you search for something you get nothing but a sea of Xs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really hate the algorithms they use to give you videos they think you'd like.

I mean...I REALLY REALLY hate them.

I can't watch political comedy without getting political crap videos in my suggested. I can deal with that. My fault for not erasing them from my history. But every time I watch something video game related, I get channels of Minecraft crap. If I so much as watch a Transformer video, Transformers translates to "toy" and I get all these awful channels devoted to "Minions surprise egg Sesame Street Play-Doh Mickey Mouse" garbage.

I've never watched a Minecraft anything and never will, nor am I interested in awful toy opening videos that I just don't get the appeal of. Not "Toy Reviews" not "Custom Toys." Any combination of preschool franchise, surprise egg, and Play-Doh. I'm not going to whine about "how are these a thing?!?!" nor am I going add "Who the frig watches this crap?" I just don't want to have to keep "Not Interested" clicking channels when I'm trying to find my subscriptions on the main page.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I really hate the algorithms they use to give you videos they think you'd like.

I mean...I REALLY REALLY hate them.

I can't watch political comedy without getting political crap videos in my suggested. I can deal with that. My fault for not erasing them from my history. But every time I watch something video game related, I get channels of Minecraft crap. If I so much as watch a Transformer video, Transformers translates to "toy" and I get all these awful channels devoted to "Minions surprise egg Sesame Street Play-Doh Mickey Mouse" garbage.

I've never watched a Minecraft anything and never will, nor am I interested in awful toy opening videos that I just don't get the appeal of. Not "Toy Reviews" not "Custom Toys." Any combination of preschool franchise, surprise egg, and Play-Doh. I'm not going to whine about "how are these a thing?!?!" nor am I going add "Who the frig watches this crap?" I just don't want to have to keep "Not Interested" clicking channels when I'm trying to find my subscriptions on the main page.
Code Lyoko videos always appear in the "Recommended" section every time I and others watch an Oddity Archive vid, so much so that it's become a running gag among commenters. Is Benny-boy a fan of Code Lyoko or something?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Code Lyoko videos always appear in the "Recommended" section every time I and others watch an Oddity Archive vid, so much so that it's become a running gag among commenters. Is Benny-boy a fan of Code Lyoko or something?
One of the characters is named Oddity or one of the episodes has the word Oddity in it. I never really had that problem until he actually mentioned it in a FAQ's episode. Makes sense if "Oddity" is in the search keywords for the videos. Usually my recommendeds on an actual video will be things I do routinely watch.

It's just those annoying "you might like this channel" recommendations on the main page that annoy the heck out of me. I don't really like how things I frequent or actually subscribe to have year old videos I've already seen, but I can forgive that. I just don't like seeing Minecraft and preschool toy videos clogging up my main page.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been getting bombard with Nostalgia Critic recommendations lately. Now, that's not too strange or anything, but the thing of it is the last time I watched any NC videos was like a couple of weeks ago when I favorited his WTFU video and I had been watching his old Top 11 Villain Songs video - both of which I deleted from my watch history since then, yet I still keep getting those recommendations.

The most bizarre recommended I get, and I'm sure I brought this up before, is videos for a channel for this little girl who looks like she's maybe a tween, and she's somehow got millions of subscribers, and each of her videos have like millions of views, which frankly disturbs me . . . but the real thing that confuses me is how and why YT seems to think I want to watch this little girl's videos when I haven't even watched anything pertaining to little girls or things like that. Not only that, but I also occasionally get recommendations for some random teenage girl's vlog or make-up tutorial series, and like I don't even watch people's vlogs or make-up tutorials, so what gives?

But know what Drtooth is saying, because sometimes I too even get Play-Doh or similar recommended videos for watching SST videos.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've discovered a bug with the new video player that makes me glad it's not permanent yet: it only has two quality options - 360p or 720p. Only my official channel has the new player for some reason, so I'm glad they haven't made it permanent throughout the site yet, because oftherwise, 480 vids will only play 360 and 1080 vids can only go up to 720.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay. . . . so, remember all that talk of YouTube ending its partnership with Google+ and the comments system will supposedly go back to normal?

Apparently that's already happened.

Or, so YT says . . . I've been trying to test it out on my GroverKent channel, which I never opted to sync a Google+ account to, yet YT still continues to try to force me to add a Google+ account to that channel whenever I try to post a comment. So I posted on the Google Product Help Forums to inquire about this: if the YT/Google+ merger is officially over, then why is it still trying to force me to add a Google+ account to that channel? Well, after a number of days (of prodding), I finally got a response, and they're now saying that it could take a really long time (perhaps even upwards of a couple of years, since that's how long it took Google to code everything for the merger to begin with) for the split to be completed.

Well. . . . at least we can say that YT, for once, is trying to make an effort to do something for its users.

But now get this: we've all discussed copyright strikes before in this thread, but I read about something that is absolutely and truly scary: some guy recently got a copyright (more accurately, a trademark) strike for his entire channel - not just a video he uploaded, his entire channel got a strike; evidentally, the username of his channel just happens to coincidentally be the same as a Canadian media company, and the owner of said company filed the strike because he felt that person's channel was interfering with the search results for their content, thus doing damage to their brand. Can you believe that? I mean, copyright strikes on videos you upload are bad enough, but can you imagine getting a strike on your entire channel all because of your username?

Oh, and get this: you know all of those commercials on videos that we all hate so much? YT is, once again, trying to relieve itself of responsibilty and saying that have no control over those commercials being put on videos, it's the creators of the videos and the content who put those commercials on. That is a big, fat, dirty, stinkin' lie right there: nobody I know, irregardless if they're a partner channel, or even just an average joe, would willingly put commercials on their videos. I mean, I tried opening a Dailymotion channel to go with my official YouTube channel, and people told me they were unable to watch what I posted because DM kept interrupting the videos every few minutes with commercials: I had absolutely no control over that whatsoever, so I deleted my Dailymotion channel altogether.

On another related not, I see ZippCast is evidentally back up and running again; I've been debating giving them another try, but they've been so sketchy in the past, so it's making me reluctant to do so (even though I see they now offer videos up to 480p, which they didn't previously). Same with UploadSociety: I was doing pretty good over there for a little while and getting some attention from people outside my YT circle, but they kept getting hacked by Google spies, and they kept disabling our ability to upload content, so I eventually deleted that channel as well because it wasn't helping me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've discovered a bug with the new video player that makes me glad it's not permanent yet: it only has two quality options - 360p or 720p. Only my official channel has the new player for some reason, so I'm glad they haven't made it permanent throughout the site yet, because oftherwise, 480 vids will only play 360 and 1080 vids can only go up to 720.
Okay, it's apparently because YT has intentionally disabled those playback qualities for any version of IE on Windows 7.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That same little girl (with the millions of subscribers and millions of views per video) showed up in my recommended today again for absolutely no reason: all I've watched on YT today are the SST episodes that hooperfan/Sesame Maniac has been uploading.

I'm starting to guess this little girl is one of those YouTubers that YT itself keeps promoting the heck out of, because I honestly cannot fathom why a random little girl would keep popping up in my recommended and otherwise has millions of people watching her, unless there's that many Jared Fogels on YT.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
AWW!!! The guy who did that GOOD BURGER Chuckimation short - that even Kel Mitchell himself liked - shut down his entire channel, which is a shame, because that was an awesome little video that's been around forever.

I found he also posted it on deviantART as a Flash file, but I don't know how it's possible to download .swf's.