Now what's going on with YouTube?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Okay, so for the last several weeks, I was in YT heaven. I just happened to log on and it stopped doing the annoying thing where the video starts where you left off. So I decided to not log off of YT from that day forward. But last night, I had to restart my computer and now that stupid feature is back. Has anyone figured out how to stop this? Cause it's driving me crazy.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It never stopped for me. The only thing I've found that works is if you think to reset the playhead all the way back to the very beginning again and pause it before you navigate away from the video page.

Right now, I'm reminded of how much the homepage has sucked since 2013, because I'm just now getting subscription updates for new videos that were uploaded as long as three weeks ago.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That little gray circle with the red dot in it that moves across the timeline as the video plays.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hmm. It would seem YT has actually added a new feature that other sites have had for quite a while longer: if you hover your cursor over a video thumbnail, it will reveal an animated gif preview of the video itself.

Schfifty

Reaction score
I don't get this. On my gaming channel, I have this 4-part walkthrough of an old, rare Pacman game on the PC whose development company doesn't exist anymore, but yet a few months ago, it suddenly started getting thousands and thousands of views. Apparently, it's being treated like those trendy videos for little kids, and is getting those annoying accidental "comments" coming from babies (usually from accounts with Hispanic names). I think some sort of bot recognized some of the words in the title as trendy and is making the videos get attention, but why is this happening to me? :confused:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Things are just weird like that. A couple of years ago, I did a parody video of funding credits, and that is my most-watched video on my main channel, with more than 4,000 views the last time I checked -- most of my other most-watched videos are only like in the 300 range.

JonTheMuppet

Reaction score
Double standards on YouTube's part. I did a 2016 in review video and I got a copyright claim for the Beatles' song "In My Life". Fair enough, right? Well, the video I got the audio from is still up on YouTube (and it's not affiliated with the Beatles or anything).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, YouTube just did something today that it hasn't done in a looong time (or, at the very least, since I switched browsers): the video couldn't/wouldn't load and buffer at a higher playback resolution, so it just downgraded itself to 144p.

JonTheMuppet

Reaction score
the video couldn't/wouldn't load and buffer at a higher playback resolution, so it just downgraded itself to 144p.
This has happened to me occasionally. I don't know whether to chalk it up to a bad network connection or high site traffic. It is really annoying, though, because most of the time videos have automatically played at HD quality.