Now what's going on with YouTube?

Schfifty

Reaction score
so I keep trying to file a copyright claim, but DM keeps denying it, because it keeps saying I haven't filled out certain fields in the form . . . that it doesn't even ask me for . . . how can I leave fields blank when they're not even on the form?
Blame it on incompetent web developers.

Y'know, the only time YT actually did something useful with their video players didn't even last? Remember the "pop-out" player? Where you could launch the video you're watching into its own separate window like any other media player? That was actually a useful feature, but it didn't last.
I don't think I remember that player. You mean something similar to the "Skins" in Windows Media Player? That must've been around a really long time ago if I don't remember it, because I have been using YouTube for at least 8 years. How long did it last?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't think I remember that player. You mean something similar to the "Skins" in Windows Media Player?
No, I mean like, say you're watching a video, but you want to keep browsing YT or surfing the web without leaving the video or opening new tabs/windows - you could "pop out" the video you're watching, and the video itself would relaunch itself in its own separate little pop-up window like a media player: no comments, no suggestions, just the video itself in its own self-contained window sized to the video player. Matter of fact, I managed to find a screencap on Google to show you what I'm talking about:

It did not last long at all; I believe they first implemented it sometime in late 2007, but I don't remember it lasting long into 2008 at all. But, man, it was a very useful feature indeed.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate the algorithms that decide what your recommended videos are. You watch one video once and all your relateds are associated with that video. I watch one Peppa Pig thing only to pass it on here as an example of something, a promo at that, and for like several days, I get NOTHING but Peppa Pig videos in my list. And that's still 2 days after I deleted it from my history.

And now it thinks I'd like that freaking Nae Nae thing that died as quickly as it emerged (when Nickelodeon acknowledges it in a promo, you're viral video is already passe, because Nick being Nick doesn't get them "in'nernat viddyuhs" other than the fact "they're popular wit' da young peeples"). When have I ever watched anything vaguely similar to even want to see it?

Schfifty

Reaction score
No, I mean like, say you're watching a video, but you want to keep browsing YT or surfing the web without leaving the video or opening new tabs/windows - you could "pop out" the video you're watching, and the video itself would relaunch itself in its own separate little pop-up window like a media player: no comments, no suggestions, just the video itself in its own self-contained window sized to the video player. Matter of fact, I managed to find a screencap on Google to show you what I'm talking about:

It did not last long at all; I believe they first implemented it sometime in late 2007, but I don't remember it lasting long into 2008 at all. But, man, it was a very useful feature indeed.
Yeah, I don't remember that pop-up player at all. It actually looks like it was implemented in 2010 or so, because the video shown in the pic was uploaded in May that year. You can also tell by the player bar (and I remember when that player bar was introduced on March 31st, 2010).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Cheese and crackers! YouTube probably just gave me the biggest ball buster yet: slashing the number of views on a number of my vids that ranged anywhere in the low hundreds down to double-digits. Thank you, YouTube, that's just what I need: way to further make me look like a small, insignificant, and pathetic YouTuber. 45 views on a vid? Yeah, that's going to impress people.

Drtooth

Reaction score
WHY DO I KEEP GETTING FOOD VIDEOS?!?!?!?

I NEVER watch food videos. Why are they all in my *&^% recommended folder? Jeeezz! I knew the algorithms for picking recommended videos were crap, but really...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And now YT's going that thing it does again where every other vid you try to watch (particularly in 720 or 1080p) won't load, and you keept having to refresh the page a few times before it'll actually load.\

Also, this has been an ongoing problem for months, but it's gotten progressively worse: whenever you backtrack in the timeline, you have to wait several seconds for the vid to rebuffer all over again.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know what they broke now, but whenever you try to watch a video fullscreen, the entire screen is distorted: even the video player itself is distorted - everything is blurry and pixelated, no matter what playback quality you've selected; even the video player is blurry and pixelated/

Schfifty

Reaction score
Since when did the last frame of a previously watched video show up and fade to black before you watch another video start happening? What's the point of that?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't believe that an eight-year-old, 50-second, 240p video won't buffer on first click and has to be refreshed several times before it'll play. Man, this is becoming a widespread problem.

And I still hate this new overlapping/disappearing video player. No, I've grown past hate . . . I loathe it. Who thought this was a good idea?