1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Numbers - Swedish Animation

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Soul H, May 8, 2005.

1. Soul H

Soul H Well-Known Member

Hey guys. You know those cartoons to which are called Swedish Animation right? In case you don't understand what I'm talking about, it's those cartoons when either Maria or Gordon count the number of animals or things that require the number of the day, and the sketch ends with the days number in the middle of the screen followed by a bizzare jingle.

Okay, now then, I was wondering what your favourite Swedish Animation cartoons are.

2. TotallySpiesFan

TotallySpiesFan Well-Known Member

2 elephants
    2 giraffes
    3 penguins
    3 mice
    5 worms in apple
    6 camels
    7 owls
    7 sheeps
    7 rabbits (and one lion!)
    8 bats
    8 worms
    9 ants

What else?

3. mikealan

mikealan Well-Known Member

2 Elephants-SSU#1836, 123SS#3193
    2 Farm Animals-SS#2283
    2 Giraffes-SSU#1706
    3 Mice-SSU#1707, 123SS#3136, SS#N-Y-3
    4 Dolphins-SS#2921, 123SS#3900
    4 Elephants
    4 Ducks-SSU#2257, Mikealan's SS Comp.
    5 Worms-SSU#1710
    6 Camels-SS#2476, 3258
    6 Pigs-SS#3122, 123SS#3163
    7 Owls-SSU#2558, SS#2484, 2893, 3023, 3090
    7 Starfish-SSU#2358, SS#2440
    7 Animals In a Tree-SSU#2059, 123SS#3903
    7 Rabbits (including a lion!)-SS#3256, 123SS#3855, 3903, 3905
    7 Turtles-SS#2727
    8 Bats-SSU#1708, SS#2847
    8 Frogs-123SS#3857
    8 Buttons On A Monkey's Shirt-SS#3126
    8 Eggs-SS#3009
    8 Legs of an Octopus-SSU#1446
    8 Cows-SS#2395, 2909
    8 In Bowtie (?)-SS#2895, 3259
    9 Penguins-SS#2631, Mikealan's SS Comp.
    9 Ants-SS#2342, 2453, 2795, 2954, 3123
    9 Birds-123SS#3884
    9 Tigers-SSU#1736
    9 Sheep-SS#2631

4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

So, they were animated in Sweden? Interresting. These used to freak me out, the Bat one especially.... hey.... didn't they also have that elephant counting to 20 for an interminable ammount of time? I did like the Monkey Button one.

Luke kun likes this.
  5. Soul H

Soul H Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the cartoon with 7 turtles really 6 turtles and one guy burried in the sand? But then again I haven't seen that sketch for so long so I might be wrong.

6. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

What Soul H is talking about is something like this: Take the Number 7, and Maria would count out the 7 turtles, and then a low synthesizer sound would come on, and it would "Fade" or something like that back to the number 7, and then for the last time Maria would say "7 turtles!!" followed by something like this "Do do do do, do do do do, do do do do do, do do do do do *DING* 7 turtles!!!!!

7. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Shame I never saw the one with the 8 bats, would've liked that one.

The ones I remember...

3 owls with their eyes closing as they went to sleep.
    4 dolphins.
    6 pigs.
    9 ants as they crawled up next to the volcano-like anthill.
    9 striped cats.
    Hope this helps and have a good day.

Luke kun likes this.
  8. Drtooth

Never saw it, eh? Well, allow me to explain it to you, then.

My memory is sort of hazy on this one, but there was either a tree or a castle in the background (perhaps the Counts?) and eight bats, one by one flew out of the belfry right up to the camera. It was accompanied by very sinister organ music. It was also pretty slow, and took longer than the others, as I recall. SO it's pretty much no wonder why this one freaked me out the most.

Luke kun likes this.
  9. Soul H

Soul H Well-Known Member

Weren't there some occasions where the number had a similarity to the animal? Because I keep having this vague memory that for "3 Mice", the 3 had some bite's taken out of it, and for "9 Tigers" the 9 was striped.

10. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

I remember those neat cartoons. And I also remember at the end of some of them, you can hear a baby gurgle a happy "AAAAAH!" But then they later cut that sound out on all of them. Here's what I rememeber from them.

2 TOONS: 2 giraffes, one cow and one horse, 2 elephants

3 TOONS: 3 penguins, 3 owls, 3 mice

4 TOONS: A mother duck and her 3 ducklings, 4 dolphins, 4 elephants

5 TOONS: 5 butterflies, 5 flies on a kid's nose, 5 worms, 5 swans

6 TOONS: 6 camels and 6 pigs

7 TOONS: 7 starfish, 6 cats and one elephant, 6 turtles and one beach guy, 7 piglets, 7 owls, 7 rabbits where a lion almost comes up but got replaced with a rabbit.

8 TOONS: An octopus's 8 arms, 8 buttons on a monkey's vest, 8 frogs, 8 bats, 8 cows, 8 worms, 8 eggs where 7 chicks and one gator hatches.

9 TOONS: 9 sheep, 9 penguins, 9 ants, 9 birds, 9 tigers where one is a baby.

Some of those cartoons were kind of scary, like the 8 bats and when the kid quivered when the flies landed on his nose.

One time when I was a kid, I had a nightmare where I saw 6 cartoon pigs enter a pigpen while gentle country music played. But when the music stopped, one of the pigs grew fangs and made a scary, "BLAH BLAH BLAH", like a vampire. Then the six appeared right over a coffin and the familiar shave and a haircut ending music played. Then I woke up very nervous.

Luke kun likes this.
  11. ssetta

ssetta Well-Known Member

Actually, this series was made in Season 12, and originally, it did not have Maria or Gordon's voice. In fact, nobody talked at all. And also, originally, the longest jingle used to have the sound of a baby at the end. I don't know why it was there, but after a few years, I think when they added the voices, they took it out. And I think they started the voices in like 1984 or so. Also, Gordon did the ones for numbers 2 to 4, and Maria took care of 5 to 9.

12. Andy

Andy Well-Known Member

The three dancing penguins, FYI used a piece of the same APM cue that the Hot Dog beginning/end skit (see my post above). I think that was the very last thing I watched on SS as a kid. Of course, I was in 4th grade at the time, so that shouldn't be a surprise!

13. mikealan

mikealan Well-Known Member

I've just had a dream about the Sweden Numbers animations last month about the number '10'. It was where a worm eats five purple grapes and five green grapes and then it fades to a '10' with the classic music at the end from most of the Sweden animations like 2 Giraffes, 4 Ducks and 7 Starfish. They never did Sweden animations for '10'! So I've planned to create a Sweden animation for the number '10' so it should be on the show soon or later.

14. ISNorden

ISNorden Well-Known Member

More on the Swedish number cartoons

Those cartoons were not only animated in Sweden, but also intended for a different children's show in that country. In addition to a translated Sesame Street, Swedish TV also aired a "homegrown" program that taught letters and numbers. The title of that show translates as "Five Ants Is More than Four Elephants"; the counting elephant was one of the show's mascots. In the original version, his offscreen voice also named the theme number for each cartoon. And yes, the elephant also had trouble counting to 20 in Swedish; the version I've heard over there has him getting stuck at 14.

15. Soul H

Soul H Well-Known Member

Have you ever noticed that for most of these cartoons, when they show the number the background is almost always pink?

16. Drtooth

At the risk of drudging up an old thread rather than starting a new one, I was looking at some of the Fem Myror cartoons (specifically ones that weren't used on Sesame Street), and I just wonder how many of these Sesame Street purchased and from what years they purchased them for use. Mainly because I was looking at this skit:

Which is speculated by the comments section of that video that it's clear this wasn't used because it was considered scary. Though, frankly the sketch bears a striking resemblance to one that always sent me flipping through the channels or running out the room, but no one else seemed to have complaints with:

Obviously we all know about the crapping donkeys skit which clearly couldn't be used in the US, and there are others that just seem to not be used on Sesame Street for various reasons. But there's something about the piranhas cartoon that looks a little different, almost later as far as animation goes. Perhaps another reason for it not being picked up is because it was made after they purchased a bunch to use on the show?

17. Luke kun

Luke kun Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Drtooth. I'm scared of that 8 bats segment too.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.