"Of Mice and Men" (the book) -- Your Thoughts?

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
As manditory Spring Break reading, I read John Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men." Now granted I do not read very many novels, but this book was probably the most depressing work of literature I have ever read. I really thought I was going to cry throughout the entire last two chapters.

I'm sure many of you have read the book for school or pleasure, and as I like you all so well (and because I'm sure my ditzy teacher will surely make us do some free-form, neuvo-ish assignment on the book), I would like to hear your opinions, feelings, etc., on the novel. Any on-topic comments are grately appreciated. :smile:

-Matt

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Of Mice and Men has got to be one of my favorite books I read all throughout high school. We read it my junior year and I read it again my senior year for a project. I agree that it is very depressing (and I DID cry throughout the end!) but I just found it very intriguing and easy to read. I kept a journal while I read it my senior year and I can't remember off the top of my head everything I had to say about it (go figure:smirk: ) but in a few days I could let you know some of my deep and inspiring insights:big_grin:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I remember reading it in high school. I particularly enjoy it because it demonstrates how life has no easy answers. That's an important lesson to learn growing up. A beautiful and very sad book.

DirthNader

Reaction score
Oh yeah...I cried big time. All dreams come to a screaching halt with the echo of a bullet. As for suggestions, well if it's a free form, just go into the personal impact.

You know, it's been years since I've read that, and it was for recreation that I did in the first place. I'll have to pick it up again. I think it only took me a few solid hours. Pretty short novel.

Good luck in class :big_grin:

King Prawn

Reaction score
I can't believe somebody's asking this!

I feel so good about myself that i'm able to answer in this thread, i've just finished reading the novel myself, about two or three weeks ago, i've been reading it in class with my teacher and class mates as part of my English Literatur course.

I know this book so well, i've done about twenty assignments if not more on it, for each five (maybe less) pages we would write a diary entry as if we were George.

Anyway it's a very good story, i don't really like reading so everything i read i've done in class and of all the books i've read (War Poems, An Inspector Calls, Macbeth, Far From The Madding Crowd & The Canturbary (SP?) tales) this has certainly got to be my best one of the lot.

Right now i'm copying notes into my book of "Of Mice & Men" have to start getting ready for my GCSE's.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i read this book i think when i was in the 10th grade and that was like 5 years ago. but i thought it was good. hey if you ever see the movie it has randy quaid in it and i mean it was a good movie. it's really sad what happened at the end of both the book and movie...

ryan

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Yes when i was in 11th grade we read this book then watched the video. It was a very good story with a sad endding:sympathy:

In the beging of this school year my first semester of college in one of my acting classes we did an acting exersize in which we protrade Lenny petting the little puppy and then killing it and hiding it....:eek: well it was just pretent, i'd never hurt an animal!

I've saved a few in my life time! two baby squrails, a duckling, a little bunny, a dog and a mouse!

Zack

Luke

Reaction score
I read it in the early years at school - i found it ok, pretty good. It didn't really sadden me or make me cry or anything. I'm probably pretty hardened to that - we did 'The Handmaids Tale' by Margret Atwood - that one pretty much freaked me out though it was more fun to look at all the girls feeling a little 'queasy'.

:eek:

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Zack the Dog
i'd never hurt an animal!

I've saved a few in my life time! two baby squrails, a duckling, a little bunny, a dog and a mouse!
Awww! Good for you! I know too many people who would rather throw rocks at them:cry:

Were there two movies? Or was Randy Quaid in the John Malkovich/Gary Sinise one? No...it must be two different ones. Who else was in the Randy Quaid one? We watched the John/Gary one in class and I thought they did a really good job with it too.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I got in SO much trouble because of this book. I went and borrowed "Of Muppets and Men" from the library instead and did my report on THAT.

Thank God for teachers who appreciate that you at least tried.