Of Muppets and Men Book

Randy

Reaction score
This is really a questions for everyone on the board who may or may not be interested. I have an alright copy of the book and I know how hard it is to get and how much it can fetch when you can find it. Anyway my plan was to take my copy and set up a site that you can read the book online. I didn't think that it would be bad from a copyright point of view, since the book is out of print thus the Henson company is no longer making any money off it. But what I am asking is do you think that it is wrong, or would you be interested in me undertaking this project?

solo409

Reaction score
I'd love to see that!
I'd just make double sure that you won't be a target for the Copywright Police. While I think it is a really cool idea, I would hate to see a lawer suck onto you because of some tiny little thing you overlooked. We have been having a huge discussion about all that copywright stuff on the 'Count Puppet' post. You should talk to Buck Beaver...he seems to know alot of the technical copywright stuff.
Wish you luck and hope to see the finished project!!
Cheers,
---Nate:big_grin:

Higgleme-Jiggleme-Piggleme-PooF!

scarecroe

Reaction score
The worst that would happen is you'd get a letter from the legal folks at Henson asking you to take it down. Given the materials that some other sites (including MC) get away with copying, I don't think you'd have a problem.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
What's that? Oh......it's the sounds of lawyers sharpening pencils. :stick_out_tongue:

Seriously though, this is an example of blatant copyright infringement. DO NOT DO IT. The worst thing that can happen is NOT a getting a nice letter asking you to take the site down - you can be sued for lost revenues and damages and probably quite successfully.

Christopher Finch (the author) is a well known writer and - aside from being terribly offended - I have a feeling that once they discover what you are doing he and his publisher will squish you like a bug! Publishers and authors take this sort of thing VERY seriously.

You do not have the right to reproduce an artistic work (like a book) in any form without permission unless the author or copyright holder has been dead for fifty years. There are no exceptions, it's illegal and just plain wrong.

solo409

Reaction score
Thats really too bad. I've never layed eyes on this book, and would love to see what its about...What is this book about any way?? Is it an inside look at the making of the Muppets?
----Nate

Hoh-hoh-hoh *in a french accent*

Randy

Reaction score
yeah too bad then. If you have never seen the book have you seen the Television special? It like that but the pictures move and there is a lot more in the book.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
It's actually one of the best "behind the scenes" books about the Muppets, written by Christopher Finch (he also wrote "Jim Henson: The Works").

You can often find it at your local library or online at amazon.com or ebay.

Take care!

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by Buck-Beaver
What's that? Oh......it's the sounds of lawyers sharpening pencils. :stick_out_tongue:

Seriously though, this is an example of blatant copyright infringement. DO NOT DO IT. The worst thing that can happen is NOT a getting a nice letter asking you to take the site down - you can be sued for lost revenues and damages and probably quite successfully.

Christopher Finch (the author) is a well known writer and - aside from being terribly offended - I have a feeling that once they discover what you are doing he and his publisher will squish you like a bug! Publishers and authors take this sort of thing VERY seriously.

You do not have the right to reproduce an artistic work (like a book) in any form without permission unless the author or copyright holder has been dead for fifty years. There are no exceptions, it's illegal and just plain wrong.
You may as well tear down Muppet Central and more than half of the sites on the Web right now then, LOL!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Well, yeah - it's sad but true. We've covered this territory before in the Count puppet thread.

There's actually quite a distinction between a fan site like Muppet Central and what Randy is proposing though. Usually when you start costing big companies and/or artists money that's when they'll come after you with a vengance. Most fans sites use pictures, sounds, etc. without permission but it's hard to argue that they cause a copyright holder to lose money.

I'm pretty sure Muppet Central exists with the informal (or formal) blessings of the JHC. MC is a huge marketing tool for JHC licensees like Palasaides who can keep fans excited and "in the loop" about their merchandise. However, if MC started offering episodes of Muppet shows & specials online without permission I bet JHC lawyers would crack down pretty quick. Remember that MuppetCentral Radio is all done by the book.

When you place an item like a book or a song online without permission you are causing financial damage to the copyright holder - someone who reads a complete version of a Stephen King novel online for free is less likely to go out and pay for the book afterwards at the bookstore. This is the same argument that brought down Napster.

Money aside, posting an author's work without permission is pretty unethical.

scarecroe

Reaction score
All of this is true, except Of Muppets and Men: The Making of the Muppet Show has been out of print and hasn't sold an authorized copy in many moons. No one's losing any more money than if I placed my copy up on eBay with a $300 reserve right now (and I'd get it too... actually, I could get a whole **** of a lot more given that as it's signed by Brian Henson, Dave Goelz, Bill Barretta, Kevin Clash, Jerry Nelson and Steve Whitmire). If the book were still on shelves and readily available in stores, then such a web project would definitely be hurting sales for Finch and JHC. Given that it's not -- and hasn't been for a long time -- I hardly think JHC would take notice, and if they did, they wouldn't take anyone to court right away. They'd ask that the site be taken down, to which the webmaster I'm sure would gladly comply... unless he's an idiot. In which case, yes, he'd prolly be dragged into court.

****, JHC might even take notice of the demand for the book and reissue it themselves. Then folks could stop paying obscene amounts of money for the book on the auction block and add it to their collection while paying the royalties ot the author. Now wouldn't that be cool?