Official MirrorMask Site Online

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Word is that Dave McKean is in the process of "cleaning up" the Mirrormask preview that was shown at Comic-Con so it can be posted online soon. Until then Comic Book Resources has a recent interview with Mirrormask's executive producer Michael Polis.

dancingmandygrl

Reaction score
LifeWithMuppy said:
I hate to make it sound like I'm insulting the writers for MirrorMask...but am I the only one who notices strong similarities between it and the Neverending Story?

it also sounds like Alice in Wonderland.. which makes me want to see it even more now.! (alice is my fave book/movie.) :stick_out_tongue: :smile:

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I'm not so sure...(the Jim Henson Company) specifically asked them to come up with something in the same vein as Labyrinth and the Dark Crystal, but you're right it's a story as old as time.
I wasn't exactly sure what you were trying to say here, but I respect your postings on this site and would probably agree with you under different circumstances. What I was saying, in response to someone who'd earlier mentioned that the Mirrormask plot sounded like a retread of Alice in Wonderland, is that it was doubtful that the Henson company set out, intentionally or otherwise, to borrow ideas from Alice or any other classic literature for the purpose of making this film.
However, I pointed out that, in several volumes of research on the subject, it's proven that all great works of fiction can be inevitably traced back to age-old, classic themes (read Joseph Campbell's "The Hero With A Thousand Faces" for further explanations). Unavoidably, common links are often found in these works, but that does not mean or prove that they are intentional rip-offs. Obviously such plagiarism does exist, but it's not in the Henson company's nature to employ such underhanded tactics.
So getting back to your quote, you're right, the plot of Mirrormask does harken back to a theme that's as old as time. I just don't see what your point was regarding the Henson Company telling Gaiman to write Mirrormask's story with Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal in mind. Are you saying that the Henson's are, in a sense, plagiarizing themselves? I don't think that's technically possible, and I just can't see how that can be compared to borrowing plot ideas from classic literature.
Bascially, Mirrormask's plot, unless otherwise specified by Gaiman or the Henson's, is a work of their own, free of any blatant outside influence from classic folklore. Were it indeed inspired by Labyrinth or Crystal is irrelevant to the argument, since they are also the Henson's creations, free of outside literary influence.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I owe an apology to Buck Beaver in that I misquoted my own argument. I was, in fact, contesting the idea that Mirrormask's plot was intentionally ripping off The Neverending Story. In my earlier post, I had mentioned Alice in Wonderland, as well as The Wizard of Oz, so in the process of replying I must have got my wires crossed. All the same, my argument stands that the Henson's did not, intentionally or otherwise, swipe any ideas from fiction, be it written or cinematic.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I just discovered that Neil Gaiman has posted a couple of images from "Mirrormask" on his website (www.neilgaiman.com). It's not much, but it is interesting.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
Doesn't really give much information...I hope they release a better trailer soon and give more along the lines of the story.

I hope this movie won't bomb.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I don't think it's coming out in theatres, just on DVD though there have been rumours of a limited theatrical run in some cities.