Oh Boy... Leno's at it again...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Poor Baby.

He lost all his relevance as a talk show host after every party screwed Conan. He moaned and groaned until he got his way last time, now whoever NBC is looking to replace him with is probably going to get screwed the same way.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've always been more partial to Letterman and Kimmel anyway.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I still remember the big shift in '92 after Johnny Carson retired, and it looked like Letterman might inherit his spot. (Joan Rivers seemed to angle for the spot, too, but the powers-that-be thought better of it) But Dave seems to have been quite comfortable at CBS for the last 20 years, and he has used the occassional battles between Leno and Conan to his advantage.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Zing! He's got part of the blame for NBC's bad ratings anyway, with his mind-bogglingly bad decision to move his show to ten PM back in 2009 or 2010 destroying that time-slot for nearly an entire season.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I still remember the big shift in '92 after Johnny Carson retired, and it looked like Letterman might inherit his spot. (Joan Rivers seemed to angle for the spot, too, but the powers-that-be thought better of it) But Dave seems to have been quite comfortable at CBS for the last 20 years, and he has used the occassional battles between Leno and Conan to his advantage.
Just sayin that Joan Rivers could have had that spot til she went behind Johnny's back to go to FOX.

Daniel

Teheheman

Reaction score
My sister and I were talking about this a couple days ago, and she said that she thought that Leno would host that show til he died, and I said that Fallon would get it for 6 months and then Leno's ghost would end up getting back into the seat.
I think that they shoulda just kept Conan in that spot, and let Leno go to ABC and see what happened there. You think that Kimmel, who was probably the best alternative to the whole 'late night' game as far as the big 4 networks go and Leno hater, would go for something like that? I think if Kimmel said 'I don't want to follow him', ABC would have said 'Alright'. Besides, Leno would've wanted WAY too much money. Something comparable to what he was making at NBC, and he was making BOOKOO bucks at NBC.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
Again, it's that his contract is about to expire (for the second time). Hopefully, NBC will learn its lesson and let it expire no matter how much Leno whines, screams, and throws a temper tantrum. And the worst past is the hypocrisy. When Leno first hosted the show, NBC was shooing Carson out the door to get a host that would bring in a younger audience. And the last time that Leno was going to lose the Tonight Show, everyone who took his side was crying about how if you're over a certain age in this business, you don't matter, and whining about how Conan is only funny generationally (even though he wrote some of the best Simpsons episodes out there... WAAAAY back in the mid 90's). I mean... what?

And I'll say this. I was never a fan of Jimmy Fallon on SNL, but he is absolutely amazing as a talk show host. I'd hate for Leno to screw him out of it this time. I especially LOVE his theme songs in the style of music artists bit.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'll admit, I don't care much for Fallon, but I like the interesting things he does on his talk show; I love the Newlywed Game-style thing he does whenever Seth Meyers and his brother are on. And c'mon, getting the PRESIDENT to do a slow jam? And the Muppets' Christmas appearances taken straight from an obscure album? I hope they do another this year.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I always thought giving Jimmy Fallon a talk show was like, "Giving Captain Bligh his own fleet". But that's besides the point.

There's speculation that once Jay Leno has stepped down, David Letterman will also step down from his show as well, which I hope not, again I usually preferred Letterman to Leno. But at least it doesn't sound like Kimmel is going anywhere: we can almost always count on him to have some Muppety guests when we expect it, or not.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know most MCers hate him for some reason, but I think if anybody out there deserves to have his own talk show, it's Tom Bergeron: he's perfect for a late night talk show.