Oh man, what happened to?

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
You know, the other characters besides the main monster cast, Prarie, Ernie, Bert, Abby, Oscar, Baby Bear, Curly Bear, Big Bird and Snuffy?
You know, like, Benny, Kingston, Grungetta, Marry, Leo, Farley, Rosevelt, Lefty, Perposterus, Betty Lou, Wolfgang, Hoots, Biff, Sully, Simon the Soundman, Wonda the Wonderfish, Monty, Irvine, and Frazzle? Heck, I'll even be happy if Mumford appeared more...Alice and Barkley seem to be gone too...

Did the CTW think that the olderviewers would forget these characters? Or if they brought some back that didn't have there preformer [Guy and Sonny] that older fans would think this is not the real one?

Heck, Sonny was back I think recently, and voiced by the same guy who does Baby Bear. But what about Grungetta? She still around Oscar's place? Irvine? Proposterus?
Is Monty still answering his phone with Watermelons and Cheese?
Is Benny still going Down Town?
Is Roxxie Marie still living with Uncle Biff?
Is Wolfgang still stealing fish?
Is Leo still partying?
Is Prof. Hastings still dozzing off?
Is Glayds still the only cow ham?
Is Barkly still living with Bob?
Where did the other characters wander off to?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Some of those characters haven't appeared for 20 years. I never seen a clip with Hastings in it. And I've been watching since the mid 80's.

It happens with shows like this. Over half the characters have slowly faded into the background, some characters the writers and performers couldn't do more with if they wanted to. Frank Oz himself didn't like performing Harvey Kneeslapper.

When it comes to Muppet characters, there are 2 main reasons why characters are retired.

1) The characters either fail to catch on with the performers and writers (like Professor Hastings), or they can no longer write fresh new material or perform the characters.

2) The performer passes on or leaves the show (or gets busy with other projects). In other words, performer availability. Some characters CAN be recast, but it is a very LONG process based on who's the most available, who has the best handle on the character, and the person who sounds the most like the character... and in that exact order. Look how long it took them to get Guy Smiley in new material. And of course, sometimes performers can be busy with OTHER characters. Kevin Clash is usually performing Elmo, not to mention how busy he is with his multiple behind the scenes duties. In fact, I'm, surprised he even has time to play Elmo.

The only characters I'm worried about losing are Oscar, Big Bird, and Ernie and Bert... staples that have either been with the show since the beginning or stood the test of time. Sure, I miss all the old guys, but some of them just can't come back. Maybe to silently wave or nod or stand in the background...

There are of course the odd times when an old character comes back for a season or two after years of not being on the show... Mumford was in a few episodes in the 2001 or 2002 season, Gladys, with a new performer has been around on and off since 2003. Wolfgang pops up from time to time, and Mr. Johnson has made a once a season appearance for the last few seasons.

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
Wolfgang the Seal. I have not seen him in years. I think he left when Bill McCutcheon (Uncle Wally) left the show. Ever since Uncle Wally left the show, I have not seen Wolfgang since then.

Kiki

Reaction score
Well, Roosevelt no long appears on the show due to complaints regarding his rowdiness on the classroom sketches and the fact that he was a stereotype (for African-Americans, that is). That said, I miss the little guy, and a along with the others (Benny Bunny, Alice, barkley, Frazzle, Hoots and eeeeee! Wolfgang! <3), I wish they were back on the show. Good to see Tenny-Little-Super-Guy making a brief appearence on a recent episode, though. :big_grin:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Keep in mind that Roosevelt was supposed to make a cameo this year, unless they edited out that cameo for that same reason.

Hoots still appears on occassion. Remember the famous 'Cookie is a Sometime Food' song?

Of course we saw Barkley in this year's season premiere, as for Alice, well she still appears at the Macy's parade. It would be nice to see her in a new episode or even have Snuffy mention her.

Now I know Wolfgang appeared after Uncle Wally left the show. In fact, wasn't that him in the number seven episode this year or was that just a generic seal?

I guess if it were Wolfie, somebody would have mentioned that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, Roosevelt no long appears on the show due to complaints regarding his rowdiness on the classroom sketches and the fact that he was a stereotype (for African-Americans, that is).
I still find the "Roosevelt Franklin is a Stereotype" stuff utter nonsense. I agree with the rowdiness of the classroom being a problem... but that's how some classrooms act. Why they couldn't keep the character and ditch the school concept is beyond me. Though I still wonder if the real reason was that Matt Robinson left the show. As for the cameo... YEAH... what happened to it? We've seen the Publicity photo and they went through all then trouble to build the thing... was he just cut for time?

But guys... Wolfgang DOES pop up from time to time, sometimes he isn't referred by name... He also appeared in season 40 they just didn't call him "Wolfgang."

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
Some of those characters haven't appeared for 20 years. I never seen a clip with Hastings in it. And I've been watching since the mid 80's.

It happens with shows like this. Over half the characters have slowly faded into the background, some characters the writers and performers couldn't do more with if they wanted to. Frank Oz himself didn't like performing Harvey Kneeslapper.

When it comes to Muppet characters, there are 2 main reasons why characters are retired.

1) The characters either fail to catch on with the performers and writers (like Professor Hastings), or they can no longer write fresh new material or perform the characters.

2) The performer passes on or leaves the show (or gets busy with other projects). In other words, performer availability. Some characters CAN be recast, but it is a very LONG process based on who's the most available, who has the best handle on the character, and the person who sounds the most like the character... and in that exact order. Look how long it took them to get Guy Smiley in new material. And of course, sometimes performers can be busy with OTHER characters. Kevin Clash is usually performing Elmo, not to mention how busy he is with his multiple behind the scenes duties. In fact, I'm, surprised he even has time to play Elmo.

The only characters I'm worried about losing are Oscar, Big Bird, and Ernie and Bert... staples that have either been with the show since the beginning or stood the test of time. Sure, I miss all the old guys, but some of them just can't come back. Maybe to silently wave or nod or stand in the background...

There are of course the odd times when an old character comes back for a season or two after years of not being on the show... Mumford was in a few episodes in the 2001 or 2002 season, Gladys, with a new performer has been around on and off since 2003. Wolfgang pops up from time to time, and Mr. Johnson has made a once a season appearance for the last few seasons.
The Professor Hastings sketch I remember seeing was "What's My Part? - The Foot." He won the game by accident when he said that his foot fell asleep. It was a 1969 game show sketch featuring Guy Smiley. According to MuppetWiki, The skit was last seen on episode #2621 (Season 21).

Kiki

Reaction score
Well, Roosevelt no long appears on the show...
no LONGER, I meant. Sorry, I make a lot of mistakes- they annoy me. :stick_out_tongue:

I still find the "Roosevelt Franklin is a Stereotype" stuff utter nonsense. I agree with the rowdiness of the classroom being a problem... but that's how some classrooms act. Why they couldn't keep the character and ditch the school concept is beyond me. Though I still wonder if the real reason was that Matt Robinson left the show. As for the cameo... YEAH... what happened to it? We've seen the Publicity photo and they went through all then trouble to build the thing... was he just cut for time?

But guys... Wolfgang DOES pop up from time to time, sometimes he isn't referred by name... He also appeared in season 40 they just didn't call him "Wolfgang."
Oh wow, I had no idea! About Wolfgang, that is. I haven't seen him on the show for *years*, so it's good to see that he's making an appearence every now and then. :smile:

Yeah, I didn't get the whole "negative stereotype" thing addressing RF, either. =/ In fact, I found it really ridiculous, but -like yourself- I *somewhat* get the whole rowdiness in class thingy, because it's not a exactly a good example, no (but I'm not too bothered by it), but I don't see why they couldn't just scrap the whole idea of him being loud at school and such, if it really upsets people.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
I still find the &quot;Roosevelt Franklin is a Stereotype&quot; stuff utter nonsense. I agree with the rowdiness of the classroom being a problem... but that's how some classrooms act. Why they couldn't keep the character and ditch the school concept is beyond me. Though I still wonder if the real reason was that Matt Robinson left the show. As for the cameo... YEAH... what happened to it? We've seen the Publicity photo and they went through all then trouble to build the thing... was he just cut for time?

But guys... Wolfgang DOES pop up from time to time, sometimes he isn't referred by name... He also appeared in season 40 they just didn't call him &quot;Wolfgang.&quot;
Yet, Kingston came around recently, and actually was African American, an no one complained...Maybe he was typed as a stereotype cause of his deep voice and his purpleness?