Okay guys...I need some help either that or a puppet

christyb

Reaction score
Hello master puppetbuilders! I know I read this forum but rarely (okay never) respond. Anyways, at my church they know I'm a huge (or freakishly scary as they put it) muppet fan and I'd love to learn puppetry someday. Anyways to make a long story short (or longer at this rate) the director of the Children's Church class wants me to make or find a puppet cheap! I know this is annoying to all of you who know what you're doing but I'm clueless....very much so. She'd like a guy and a girl. Now I want to have it look good. So anyone have I dunno a pattern or something I can kinda follow...how to steps....or anyone willing to work.....dirt cheap? Something. This is an SOS...an amusing one but one none the less.

Nick

Reaction score
I would suggest www.projectpuppet.com

They have some incredible puppet paterns, I spent all of last weekend making "The Glorified Sock Puppet", well actuall I made 5 of them! They are very easy to make and you would not believe the personality that comes out.

It is quite simple, the pattern and instructions are $19.95 and you can download, then print. (only on the GSP and Pinhead Paterns). It took me a bit to do the first one, around 2 hours, but then I was cranking puppets out in no time... the only thing that got in my way, was homework and sleep! :smile:

You can also try ebay, I have seen many ministry type puppets for around $25 up to $50... I know there is a company that specializes in these types... So that is my 2cents, I know there are Tons of people here willing to help! Many have come to my aid... and I have only been here a little over two weeks!

Nick

Reaction score
Cool thanks Buck! Just a couple questions... since I am a newbie...

1.) What thickness of foam should I use and what type of foam?
2.) Is there a body pattern that matches the head? (Including Arms?)
3.) Does the pattern need to be enlarged?

And finally, are there any tips or tricks you could suggest?

Thanks!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Ideally, if you print that pattern out on legal size (8 1/2 x 14 inch) paper it should be fine, but you may have to experiment a bit and scale it up or down depending on the size of your hand.

There isn't a body or hand pattern at the moment (I keep meaning to make some up to go with it) but the body could be a tube and hands/arms are not that hard to make. Take a look at this tutorial I wrote a few years ago or Sean Johnson's Ratchet tutorial for ideas.

There is also TONS of info right here on the forum, but you have to spend some time searching through old threads.

christyb

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm gonna talk things over and see where to go next. That and feel free to use this thread as whatever. I learn by reading. :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I find 3/4" foam ideal to work with for most things, but it's hard to find in some areas. Half inch is good too if you can find it dense enough (stiff enough that it keeps it's shape), but one inch will work too.

christyb

Reaction score
What I think I'm gonna do is try and build one myself. For fun...so I can learn how. However buy one for now for the childrens church.