Old Nick Appreciation Thread

What was your favorite show?

• Total voters

Greengables95

Reaction score
I know, born in '95, probably too young to remember 90's Nick, and these technically aren't my shows but I have just recently tuned into the original shows on YouTube and the Video Tapes, and I believe these were shows that anyone could enjoy.While most are on the air again, some are still not (no sign of Roundhouse or AYAOTD, probably saving the best for last!). I hope you real 90's kids have an extra seat on that big orange couch for me!

Hayley B

Reaction score
I grew up in the 80's and early 90's with Nick.

Back then I loved Pinwheel, Today's Special, You Can't Do That On Television, Belle and Sebastian, Mysterious Cities of Gold, The Little Prince, Count Duckula, Don't Just Sit There, & there were several others that I can't remember anymore.

Pinwheel was the first one I came to love. It made me think of another Sesame Street and I got to learn how to make paper hats from that show too.

Belle and Sebastian I would like to watch again. Only watched it once and didn't care to see it anymore after that. I ended up loving Mysterious Cities of Gold more too.

Don't Just Sit There was like a entertainment talk show. They interduced some the ghost characters that you see in the movie Beetlejuice. They interduced them and explained more on how they died. Number Five (or Johnny Five) from Short Circult appeared. It was a pretty cool show, imo.

I wish the movies that they showed in Special Delivery would erase in my mind. Those movies use to be so cruel in my mind, back then. I don't think they really paid attention to what they were showing. It was like, 'They are cartoons. So they are good for kids'.

As for the early 90's. I only really miss Doug. Ren n Stimpy I use to love. But I can't get into Ren n Stimpy anymore. Except for that "Ice Cream Bar" part. :laugh:

It might had been mid 80's when I started watching Nickelodeon too. Because I don't remember that silver ball & muti-color lettering logo. There logo has always been orange to me.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I was born in '94, so I'm a lot like you. I did catch several (mostly reruns) 90's cartoons when I was a kid, but didn't get to see a lot of the live action shows (and even some of the animated ones) until recently.

Well, 90's Nicktoons off the top of my head...

I enjoyed Doug. While I don't think I ever appreciated a full episode until rewatching the show recently, I did enjoy bits and pieces of whatever episodes I caught. I loved the colorful characters (and I don't just mean that in a literal sense), and actually thought Doug Funnie was a cool character (even though a lot of people considered him 'wimpy').

Rugrats has always been one of my favorite shows. I mainly love the 90's era of Rugrats. It was one of the first Nick shows I ever saw, and stuck with me from the beginning. I love the characters (the babies, adults, animals, and ficitional characters), and really enjoyed the adventure/imagniation concept (which is very similar to another show about babies that I think we're all familiar with). While as a kid I was usually annoyed by the babies lack of understanding of certain things going on in the world, now I love it. They're just babies. They're smart, yes, but they're still babies. Still, there were some episodes that I wasn't that fond of as a kid.

I really didn't care much for the 'solo Tommy' episodes (mainly the ones where he stays silent for most of the show). I found them to be rather dull, but there's always room for a second opinion. After all, I haven't seen a lot of these episodes in years. I also hated certain early episodes where Tommy would act sort of arrogant towards Chuckie. "Aw, come on Chuckie, don't be a baby". I don't know, I just found that to be an unlikable side of Tommy, but the character was still in development at the time.

There were also some rather sad episodes. We all remember the "Melville" episode, as well as the Mother's Day episode. Both tear jerkers for me. I also remember feeling kind of depressed whenever I watched the episode where Didi tries to get Tommy to stop drinking out of a bottle. Not sure why, though.

Dil's addition to the group definitely brought a change. But I really didn't mind most of the Dil episodes (especially since they were among the first ones I saw). In fact, I really didn't mind Dil as a kid. I thought he was funny/cute. Looking back on it now, Dil, while cute, could also be very disgusting at times.

I'd add more, but I should probably start a Rugrats thread instead. Unless there's already one on here?

I loved Hey Arnold! and I still do. Again, I'd add more, but this post is already getting rather long. I'll save it for future "Arnold" discussions.

Other shows like The Wild Thornberries, CatDog, and Rocket Power I thought were okay. And just okay. They weren't among my favorites.

The other 90's Nicktoons (with the acception of SpongeBob, which was just fantastic during its first season) I didn't really see until recently. Ren and Stimpy was interesting, I guess, but I haven't really seen enough of it to really get a feel for its style. Rocko's Modern Life was sort of weird, but funny. Angry Beavers was probably one of my favortes of these 'lost' Nicktoons.

As for the live action 90's shows, the only ones I ever really had a chance to get into were "All That" and "The Amanda Show". I'll admit that while I still find both shows to be good, parts of both shows just don't seem quite as funny when you get older.

I didn't get a chance to see Kenan and Kel until very recently (though I had seen Good Burger a few times). I really enjoyed the few episodes I got to see. So far, I've only seen one episode of Clarissa Explains it All. And I also remember catching episodes of "Salute Your Shorts" and "You Can't Do that on Television" (wasn't that a late 80s show?) during a little experiment that Nickelodeon's U-Pick Live (man, I miss that block!) did in the early 2000's. They let viewers vote from three different 'classic' Nick shows, and would air an ep. of the one that got the most votes.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
As for the early 90's. I only really miss Doug. Ren n Stimpy I use to love. But I can't get into Ren n Stimpy anymore. Except for that "Ice Cream Bar" part. :laugh:
Ah, yes. Space Madness. Possibly THE best R&S episode :big_grin:

Doug, Rugrats, and Ren and Stimpy were probably the three shows that were a staple of my childhood. Interesting how I was allowed to watch Ren and Stimpy and not Angry Beavers though. Looking back...it seems kinda strange.

But anyway, absolutely loved Doug. That was like...THE show I had to watch.

I was never a fan of Rocket Power. I dunno. It just never did anything for me. I thought it was kinda bleh. Wasn't really a fan of the Wild Thornberrys either.

I actually did not really watch any of the live action shows except for the game shows. Double Dare and Legend of the Hidden Temple were the best.

Hayley B

Reaction score
Man that logo song is addictive. Been replaying it like crazy.

My last brother Dylan came around in the early 90's . He liked Rugrats as a baby. He liked Rocket Power for a little bit too.

I got into the game shows for a little bit. Double Dare, Finders Keepers, & Hidden Temple.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Definitely an 80's/'90s Nick fan! It was hard to choose from that list but I picked Pete & Pete. There truly never was a show quite like it! :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
There is something that really bugs me about this thread. The fact that mid-90's to early 00's constitutes as "Old Nickelodeon." No... old Nickelodeon is when they had no original programming and aired preschool animes (and yet they have a high and mighty "no anime" clause on Nick, they air some on Nicktoons, though). And it was kinda lame, actually. There was some good stuff on there, but I remember when the first Nicktoons came out and it changed the network for the better.

I also have to say, while I dig Pete and Pete and All That (especially Keenan and Kel), I never really cared much for the live action programming. I just wanted those to desperately be over so the cartoons (specifically Ren and Stimpy) would start.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No... old Nickelodeon is when they had no original programming and aired preschool animes
That is indeed the Nick I remember from very early on; probably one of my first exposures to any kind of anime actually.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I was born in the late '80s, so the '90s were pretty much my childhood-preteenhood. As such, I grew up on old-school Nickelodeon, whether it was Nick Jr. (I went to AM kindergarten, so I got to watch the anime fairytales and shows like Maya the Bee after school), or the original Nicktoons (which came out when I was 4). I also loved Salute Your Shorts, All That, Pete & Pete, and later, the Amanda Show.