1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

  2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

  3. "Muppet Guys Talking" Debuts On-line
    Watch the inspiring documentary "Muppet Guys Talking", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppet release of the year.

  4. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Once and for all...what is it?

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by BorkBork, Oct 6, 2002.

  1. BorkBork

    BorkBork Member

    Okay, friends, can anyone please explaini, once and for all...

    what exactly is 'Gasket Rubber'???

    Please dont just say "it's a material used for muppet mouths", because i know that ;)

    I am a swede, and even tho my english is good, this is a word...or 2 actually...that i don't understand. How does it look...where can i buy it...what is it normally used for. Please explain as you would to a 2 year old.

  2. BlueFrackle

    BlueFrackle Active Member


    Ditto !

    Whenever i search for it in England, i get very very funny looks - LOL !

    Please Explain...

    see ya
  3. matleo

    matleo Active Member

    It's used in cars although I'm not exactly sure for what. You can obtain it in most auto supply stores. I'm actually going to go out and look for some this week for a puppet i'm working on. If I get more information. I'll let you guys know.

  4. I've found it in the plumbing section at Lowes, so it must have something to do with bathrooms/waterclosets.
  5. BorkBork

    BorkBork Member

    could someone please tell me what it looks like...or maybe show me a pic?
  6. It is rubber (like shoe soles) , a dull red color, and comes in 6x6 inch squares. I think you can also get it in 12x12 inch squares. They're sort of like rubber tiles.
  7. BlueFrackle

    BlueFrackle Active Member


    Im going to go look for some tommorow too...

    Wish me luck !

    And how would you attach this material ?

    Glue, Sew !?

    And would you use the whole mouth plate( Top and bottom) or put them on seperately ?

    See ya
  8. matleo

    matleo Active Member

    thanks to the tip from Scary Larry Wolf (and the mumblings of some mad man at my local Lowe's) I was able to locate some earlier today and have built a mouth palette for a puppet for an upcoming gig.

    To answer BlueFrackle's wuestions about how to use it....

    1) Cut your upper mouth palette

    2) cut your lower mouth palette.

    3) Lay them out so the pieces out so that the mouth flat (or REALLY wide open) and lay a piece of duct tape across them.

    4) Now close the mouth and lay another piece of duct tape across the 'outside' of the hinge.

    5) Lay the mouth piece flat again over a piece of felt and trace the felt slightly larger then the mouth (about 1/2 an inch or so).

    6) Cut the felt out and glue it on to the inside of the mouth

    7) You now have a little extra felt hanging off the side. take your scissors and make a cut towards the mouth about every 1/2 inch. you should now be able to fold the felt up over onto the back of the palette and tack it down with a little glue.


    BlueFrackle if you have any qeustions, drop me a post, e-mail or whatever and i'll try to send some type of pic or diagram to hep you out. I'm doing a lot of building this week so this is a godo time to ask questons as i'll probably have the answer sitting in front of me. I'm also going to try and take some process shots too to kind of chronicle this particular project. Hope this helps.

  9. That's exactly how I hinge mouths.

    Hurray! I'm useful!

    Oh, one more thing. If you want to sew fabric onto the gasket rubber, I suggest you first make some holes in the rubber around the parimeter with a leather hole puncher (like you use to make extra holes in belts and sandals). The rubber is pretty tough to stick needles into. Hav phun on your projects!

    --"Scary" Larry Wolf
  10. BlueFrackle

    BlueFrackle Active Member



    Wouldnt you be able to see the Duct Tape in the fold of the mouth tho ?

    See ya
  11. We assume you want to cover the inside of the mouth with felt, thereby covering any previously visible duct tape; but if you want to use just naked gasket rubber on the inside of the mouth, you could either find some heavy tape that matches the color (although that could fade with time, or collect nasty little hairs around the edges) or just tape it together on one side. Still, covering it with felt works best for all practical purposes.

    --"Scary" Larry Wolf
  12. BorkBork

    BorkBork Member

    i'm just going to ask a friend of mine, who owns an auto workshop for help...maybe he knows what it is called in swedish ;)

    Thanks for all the tips

  13. BorkBork

    BorkBork Member

    I have been explaind to what gasket means, and now it all makes sence :)

    I now understand why it's used in auto and plumbing bissniss.
    I'm going out to find some gasket rubber now ;)


Share This Page