1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

OPINION: "Disney Launches Web Series... What This Means For Characters"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrBloogarFoobly, Aug 8, 2014.

1. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...d-what-this-means-for-the-characters-20140804

Thoughts?

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Let's be honest. A TV show was never in the cards. The television landscape is too volatile for a Muppet themed show since the last 2 didn't manage to last that long. And The Muppet Show owes all its success to a special kind of syndication that doesn't exist anymore. Only original programs there are 90's style sleaze talk shows and judge programs that appeal to a denominator even lower than the lowest. Gone are the days of the campy, low budget syndicated action show. There's no money in it, there's no effort there.

A Muppet TV show would last a couple weeks with the rest of the episodes being burned off in the summer before being replaced with yet another singing competition that's exactly like every other one out there with one twist. And no one cares when whoever wins wins. This last season saw many Tv shows with big stars that got pulled because the ratings were good, but not good enough to warrant the huge budgets caused by the massive paychecks the big name stars got. And Two and a Half Men got renewed yet again. I don't think anything's going to thrive in this atmosphere. Especially the big comic book shows that comic geeks were excited about and will no doubt think they're the worst things ever because a television budget can't compete with their fan ficky, "we just saw all the huge budget comic films" ideals.

Muppet Master likes this.
  3. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

As long as Disney doesn't completely bury them in the attic, then this won't be too bad.

4. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Ya, that's true, the show might last longer if it were ABC Studios, but even then, no longer than The Neighbors. It's annoying that TV is so violent these days, if it were this violent in the 50's-80's then many of shows now renowed classics would be off the air with less than a season.Though you've got to realize JHH and MT were doomed before they even premiered for two reasons each. JHH, because 1. Half of it wasn't even a muppet show, and 2. The time slot was EXTREMELY weak. MT was cancelled, because 1. Again, the time slot was bad, and 2. KERMIT WASN'T THE HOST! NOW why would ONE OF THE MOST UNKNOWN MUPPETS HOST A MUPPET SHOW? Seriously, Clifford? It's the equivalent if they made a new muppet show today, and made Janice the host. I mean I don't really mind it, but all those weirdos who don't see the frog hosting immediatly hate the show. Even with that said, you've got to realize that MT was a MID-SEASON SHOW! Think about it, what mid-season show ever got renewed...the only one I can think of is Ressurection, and that's only because it got like double digit plus ratings. It doesn't work out. MT just didn't have a chance, and neither did JHH. If a muppet show were to be made today, I can't say it would thrive, but would it really have the same fate as JHH or MT? If Kermit were the host, and it was a sitcom, and with Disney as ABC's parent company then I could see it making it past season 1. Nostalgic factor could win over, but then again, nowadays the muppets are targeted more to the younger ones, so even if they made a new show, then it'd be on the Disney Channel. :rolleyes: