Original Characters

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Yeah, this is a problem. I know I've done it. Some artists (writers, musicians, etc.) won't listen/look at/watch other artists work while they are working on something because they are paranoid about subconciously copying it.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I recently drew what I thought was the perfect deisgn... in fact, it is... but it's already been used. I made my puppet and realized it looked like a Fraggle. It's different enough so that I can use it, but people can tell...

He has ears, no Fraggle has ears, and nostrils. He's also a bit larger than any Fraggle, and his head's a bit more rounded out, with no distinguishing jaw.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
LOL, be careful. Cinar got sued over Wimzie's Place because Henson claimed that the Wimzie characters looked like Fraggles, which I never could understand...

Morice

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
That's your Uncle? I know his work, it's great. I've never actually got to try one his Vent dummies but they have a great, distinctive look to them.

Yep. He's the youngest of my fathers siblings, and was still living in my grandmothers basement for a good part of my childhood,(and we practically lived there too), so I was always around his art, and dummies. And since then I have always wanted him to make me an animal one. However, I realized that theres no way I could afford his work! I guess thats good because I would much wrather make my own. :smile: And here I am!

Morice

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Yeah, this is a problem. I know I've done it. Some artists (writers, musicians, etc.) won't listen/look at/watch other artists work while they are working on something because they are paranoid about subconciously copying it.
Well I guess Im glad that I am not alone! I was starting to think I was just being way too paranoid... maybe I am, but atleast I have company! ;-)

Whatever

Reaction score
The only puppet I ever made had a paper mache head and clothes and limbs made out of felt. Definately not very sophisticated, but she looks a lot like Alice from Alice in Wonderland.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Here are the original puppets of Muley the Mule and Missy Mule from 1990:

Hope you don't get to frightened!!
It's just like the Muley...in my nightmares! :eek:

Seriously, that's not a bad mule Foz. Speaking of prototype cartoon character/puppet hybrids, check these out - they belong to Steve Troop of Melonpool fame.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I met Steve at MuppetFest and he does have awesome puppets; he's also very involved in puppetry out thre in California per my remembrance.

I wish I would have brought Muley out more while out there! He'd have loved all the puppets--Muley seems to like puppets for some reason or another... Anyways, Muley would have had a blast.

Thanks for the kind words, Buck. I think it looks okay for my age and amount of experience by that time.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Actually, Muley reminds me a lot of Steve's puppets, especially the eyes. Maybe it's a cartoonist thing.