Oscar and the Sanitation Workers Strike

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Enjoy the following fan fiction.

Chapter 1

On one fine earth day on Sesame Street, the Sesame Street citizens were doing their part to take care of the planet. Big Bird was saving his used birdseed bags and using them as wash rags. Ernie was making toy boats out of empty drink bottles, while Bert was keeping the bottlecaps for his collection. Instead of throwing them away, Cookie Monster was eating the cookie boxes in addition to the cookies. Elmo was making paper hats out of envelops that he got letters from. Grover was taking empty cans and bottles to the recycling center. And those with trash that couldn't be reused were throwing their trash into the trash cans.

Everybody on Sesame Street was happy, except for Oscar the Grouch. Bruno was carrying Oscar around the street on earth day.

"Ugh!", cried Oscar, "I don't like all this recycling, and the lack of trash on the ground. The lack of litter on the ground makes this street too beautiful for a grouch like me. And with all the reusing and recycling, they aren't throwing their trash into my trash can. I am getting a headache!"

Then, Oscar got an idea.

"Bruno, I want you to get your co-workers togetehr for a meetign tonight. Tell them to be there at 9 PM, but don't be on time!"

So that night, all of the garbage men, trash colectors, and sanitation workers got together.

"So, what's this meetign about, Bruno?", asked fellow garbage man Ed.

"yeah, it's my night off", said Ellen, a garbage woman.

"Well, it is my first night on the job and already we have a meeting", said Grover.

"I think Oscar is comming", said Phillip, a monster garbage man.

"Okay, sanitation workers, I have an importan t issue to make", said Oscar, "As you all know, people are putting their trash away, and I for one am sick of it!"

"But it makes the world a better place", said Grover.

"Don't remind me", said Oscar, "But I think you garbage men are working too hard."

"Well...", said Bruno.

"You all probably don't like doing all of this work",s aid Oscar.

"It gets tirng",s aid Ed.

"And I hate the smell of trash", said Elen.

"And you probably don't get paid enough, either", said Oscar.

"Well, I do not do it for the money", said Grover.

"I think you all should go on strike",s aid Oscar.

"Strike?", said Bruno.

"Yes, strike", said Oscar, "You'll be happier".

"Yeah!", said all the sanitation workers, except for Grover.

"And without a strike, the world won't be such a great place", said Oscar, "So I suggest that you all go on strike!"

"He's got a point", said Phillip.

"Let's vote", said Bruno.

"Thos ein favor of a sanitation workers strike, raise your hand", said Oscar.

Everyone except for Grover raised their hand.

"Well, everybody except Grover", said Oscar, "Looks like you all will be on strike!"

The sanitation workers all cheered.

"And now it's time for paradise",s aid Oscar, thinking about how the street will be dirtier, smellier, and louder, with the sanitation workers shouting, and the street residents being annoyed at the lack of trahs clean-up.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here are some notes about the sanitation workers mentioned in this.

Ed and Ellen are both human characters.

The singers from "The Trash Can" are among those at the meeting, though none of them had lines.

The garbage men and women include a mix of anything muppets and humans, not to mention monsters.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Chapter 2

The sanitation workers were all protesting on Sesame Street, holding picket signs. Ed was leading them with a megaphone.

"What are we?", shouted Ed.

"Sanitation workers on strike!", said the others.

"How long will we be on strike?", asked Ed.

"We don't know!", responded the others.

Maria approached Grover.

"Grover, can't you talk some sense into the garbage men and end the strike?", asked Maria.

"I would if I could", said Grover.

"This is one, one day of the sanitation workers strike", said The Count.

"This is the life", said Oscar, "There may not yet be any piles of trash or litter, but at least there is noise and annoyance!"

Bruno held a sign saying "Honk if you love cookies". A group of honkers saw it and honked their noses. Cookie Monster then walked by and saw the sign.

"Oh, m elove cookies!", said Cookie Monster, "Me need honking device..."

Grundgetta and a group of additional grouches showed up.

"Wow, there really is a strike", said Grundgetta.

"Yeah, and it was all my idea", said Oscar.

"we'd thank you", said Grundgetta, "But we won't, because we're grouches!"

"Maybe if we're lucky, this strike will go worldwide", said one of the grouches.

Elmo, Zoe, Abby, and Telly all observed the strike.

"What is going on?", asked Elmo.

"The sanitation workers ar egoing on strike", siad Alan.

"What is a strike?", asked ELmo.

Murray showed up.

"Strike is the word on the street", said Murray, "But what is a strike, anyway?"

"A strike is when a union of workers decide not to work and protest and such so they can make more money and have better working arrangements", said Alan.

"So... How long will this strike last?", asked Zoe.

"As long as settlements aren't made", said Alan.

"I'll end the strike", said Abby, "Garbage, carbage, let's blast all this trash!"

However, instead of ending the strike or blasting any trash, it caused garbage to fall from the sky.

"Wow", said Oscar, "The only thing better than rain is garbage rain!"

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Chapter 3

It was day four of the sanitaiton workers strike, and The Count kept track of the days.

"Four days of sanitation workers on strike, but not four wonderful days", said The Count.

Bert and Ernie looked at the trash cans, with trash piled up a bit.

"Well, for once the apartment is not as messy as the garbage", said Bert.

"I'm sure the strike will end, soon", said Ernie.

Down by Oscar's can...

"Oscar, you've got to get these garbagemen to end the strike!", said Telly.

"No", said Oscar, "It makes people iritable, makes things dirtier and smellier, and leads to loud protests".

"We won't pick up your trash until we get mor emoney!", shouted the sanitation workers.

"Boy, Snuffy, this could get ugly", siad Big Bird.

"I want it to end soon", said Snuffy.

Barkly started digging through the trash.

"Barkly sure likes it, though", said Big Bird.

Oscar brought out a small pile of dirt.

"Here, Slimey, play in it", said Oscar.

Slimey played in the dirt pile.

"Yay!", cheered Slimey.

"Well, this yelling is getting tiring", said Ed.

"Yeah", said Ellen, "And I'm tired of holding this sign".

"You know, things can be solved if you end the strike now", interjected Telly.

"No!", shouted Ed and Ellen.

And the striking continued...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Chapter 4

Oscar was enjoying the strike.

"The street is getting dirtier and dirtier", though Oscar, "Just imagine what it'll be like in a few days!"

Oscar started imagining. He imagined Sesame Street being a lot like a garbage dump. In Oscar's fantasy, there were large piles of trash, the sanitation workers were all stil on strike, segals were flying around, and most non-grouches were wearing clohtespins on their noses.

Slimey was jumping around in the piles of trash, Fluffy was playing in the piles of trash, and Oscar and grundgetta were taking a walk in the trashy street.

"What a beautiful sight!", said Oscar.

"I never thought that Sesame Street would ever be satisfying to us grouches", said grundgeta.

Cars were honking, having trouble driving around the piles of trash.

"It's music to my ears", said Oscar.
Oscar was done imagining, and then he noticed that the strike was over. Bruno was carrying trash cans and tossing them into the garbage trucks. Grover was carrying trash bags.

"Hey, what's going on?", asked Oscar.

"Oh, the strike is finally over", said Grover.

"What?", said an annoyed Oscar.

"yeah", said a fat blue anything muppet garbage man, "The boss gave us all pay raises."

"And", said Ed, "Maria told us that we shouldn't have proestested on this street during the strike, because the boss doesn't even live on Sesame Street".

"Ohh, this is horrible...", said oscar, who went down into his trash can, and slammed the lid.

And Oscar stayed in the trash can for a few days. Nobody outside of the trash can had heard from Oscar in three days.

"It's been three wonderful days sicne the strike edned", said The Count.

"Man, I haven't seen Oscar in awhile", said Telly, "I am really worried."

"Yeah, but the strike had to end", said Maria, "The street was looking like a mess!"

"I am thankful that the garbage has been picked up", said Big Bird, "But I would like to see Oscar again."

"I have an idea!", said Gordon.

Soon, everybody on Sesame Street had brought piles of trash. Gordon opened Oscar's trash can.

"hey, Oscar, come on out!", said Gordon.

"Go away!", shouted oscar.

"We've got soem trash for you!", said Ernie.

"Drop it on the street!", shouted oscar.

"Come on", said Gordon, "Let's drop this trash into the can."

They all dropped the trash into oscar's trash can.
"hey, what's going on?", asked Oscar.

"That's 3,221 individual pieces of trash!", said The Count.

Biff and DSully came onto the street.

"Let's make some loud noise!", said Biff.

Biff and Sully then driled loudly on the street.

"I'll squeak my Rubber Duckie!", said Ernie.

"And I'll play the tuba loudly!", said Telly.

The Honkers and Dingers also did their things. Herry shook a noisemaker.

Bruno walked by.

"hey, Bruno!", yelled Bob, "We're trying to cheer up Oscar. Do you have any ideas?"
Bruno picked up Oscar's can, and started shaking it. Finally, Oscar stuck his head out.

"Hey, what's going on?", asked Oscar, "What's with all the trash and noise?"

"We're trying to cheer you up", said Bob.

"Well, I'm a grouch", said Oscar, "Grouches don't like being cheered up!"

"But you've been in your trash can for three whole days!", said Telly.

"Yeah, to feel better over the ending of the strike", said Oscar, "I didn't want to be around any of you! Now, put me down, Bruno."

"You mean, you're okay with the strike ending?", asked Maria.

"Sure, I wanted it to go on forever", said Oscar, "But ending it makes me upset, which make sme happy, which makes me upset, which makes me..."

Just then, it started to rain.

"Oh, and now it's raining!", said oscar, "I need to go for a walk!"

"Well, Oscar is better now", said Telly.

The End