Oscar's Voice

Ventrilotwist

Reaction score
So today episode 4118 was on and in the "Ask Oscar" segment I thought Oscar's voice sounded odd. I thought maybe it wasn't Carrol Spinney, but then I realized he sounded A LOT like Big Bird. Almost more like Big Bird than the new guy who does Big Bird in "Journey to Ernie" does. It was quite odd.

Unrelated, who does the voice of Natasha? She sounds very Elmo like. Like Elmo was just making sounds.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, today's episode hasn't aired yet on my PBS station; so I'm afraid I can't answer your question about Oscar's voice.

As for Natasha, Kevin Clash does her voice as well.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Hmmm. I've also noticed that Oscar's voice was a bit off in today's ep too. Maybe it was Matt Vogel. I'm assuming since, they don't air Journey to Ernie anymore, they have to get Matt on the show somewhere. I'm only assuming that. Maybe it was Carroll and he was just congested when that ep was filmed. I guess only the people at Sesame Workshop know for sure.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's my understanding that although Matt is Caroll's stand-in for Big Bird, John Tartaglia is supposed to be his stand-in for Oscar.

BEAR

Reaction score
I think that was still Carrol's voice because it still sounded like Oscar. He just sounded tired or something. The energy was low. But it sounded like Oscar to me! Carrol's Oscar.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I didn't think they'd use another pupateer for :grouchy: without a good reason. And he is getting up there, so his real voice is probably getting kind of scratchy. Still you have to admire his dedication.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I think that was still Carrol's voice because it still sounded like Oscar. He just sounded tired or something. The energy was low. But it sounded like Oscar to me! Carrol's Oscar.
Either that, or mabe the part called for him to act that way, and it was just some good acting.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, mat probably does a lot of randon walkins and a few right arms or something, or even fillins in backgroungs for a puppet when the puppeteer is doing a major seen or not available or on the set at the time, things like that, so he is probably on the set more then we relise, even when Caroll is there.

Mistoffelees

Reaction score
John Tartaglia is no longer on Sesame Street. Jim Martin used to be the Oscar stand-in as well. And Ilikemuppets is correct, Matt Vogel is the right arm of Baby Bear and possibly Cookie Monster and Ernie.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't know that John left. I thought he did some occassional pupateering for Elmo. (Left arm or something like that) I also read on Wikipedia that John is set to take over for Elmo if there ever becomes a point where Kevin Clash is no longer available to play him. I wonder if that's still a possibility.