OT - For the simpsons fans out there...

MM-III

Reaction score
Sorry to verge from normal topics but I know there are a lot of Simpsons collectors here and I thought this would amuse you.

So I live in Albuquerque, NM which has a long tradition of cartoon references from bugs bunny always taking a wrong turn here to a more recent episode of the Simpsons where Homer goes on a hunger strike to protest the Springfield isotopes from moving to Albuquerque.

Well, low and behold, our old minor league baseball team The Dukes were sold a few years ago and when the new one came into town, a vote was held on what their name should be....

I'm sure you can see where this is going... they officially announced that our new team will be the Albuquerque Isotopes!
Yes, we will now be able to scream out 'topes rule! and have it make sense! This has got to be one of the greatest simpsons references ever!

Okay, you may now return to your muppety goodness.

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Congratulations, I am now jealous and hate everyone in your ****hole of a city.

radionate

Reaction score
When did the Dukes get sold? I live in Albuquerque for 10 years to the day, and have quite a few fond memories of seeing them play over the years.

I don't keep up with stuff thats going on out there much, so its really news to me. Do they have a new stadium? Where did the old team go?

my my, how things change.

MM-III

Reaction score
The old dukes went to portland about 3 years ago. We picked up another AAA team out of Calgary called the cannons I think...

Anyway, they are finishing a refurbish of the the stadium now and it should be brand spankin new in time for the new season next year.

Read a story that our mayor is being grouch about it... the man has no sense of humor... hmmm maybe because the episode from which this all sprang characterizes the mayor of albuquerque (which looks nothing like him by the way) as a power hungry tyrant.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by MM-III
Read a story that our mayor is being grouch about it... the man has no sense of humor... hmmm maybe because the episode from which this all sprang characterizes the mayor of albuquerque (which looks nothing like him by the way) as a power hungry tyrant.
And I guess some things never change.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>I'm sure you can see where this is going... they officially announced that our new team will be the Albuquerque Isotopes! <<<

No way! Ive heard of references but that is too cool! Is this officially endorced by Fox?(ie: will there be Simpsons merchandise at the game?)

Btw, who else bought the Simpsons mini figures? They look quite nice on my computer!

MM-III

Reaction score
I think they're trying to work out a tie in deal with the team. He didn't need fox's permission for the name itself but if they do merchandise featuring the simpsons, well obviously something would have to be worked out.

Although I think this is too cool a name it kinda makes no sense to put simpsons on abq. isotopes merchandise. After all, they were AGAINST the idea in the show. But I guess I won't complain if they do work out a deal with fox.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>I think they're trying to work out a tie in deal with the team. He didn't need fox's permission for the name itself but if they do merchandise featuring the simpsons, well obviously something would have to be worked out<<<

Not since the win the Simpsons house in Vegas have I heard of such a neat big ol promotion, related to Fox studio's rights or not.
I would think a promotional tie in woul dbe int he works or that could get awkward legally.

"well folks, we'd have Simpsons merchandise, but we're Simpsons in name only" ^_^

ZootandDingo

Reaction score
I read an article today in which the team's owner claims that the idea didn't come The Simpsons, but that instead the idea was inspired by the original New Mexico atomic bomb tests.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.........and lil' Georgie Bush is a great president.

I really liked Simpsons producer Al Jean's response. "We better get some royalties out of this."

MM-III

Reaction score
Well believe me that's not what the guy is saying here... He's made it quite clear that it is a simpsons ref, but he's also said that the fact that we do have a healthy nuclear industry both historically and currently makes it an appropriate name.

It's mainly a response to the sour pusses around here who are mad that we are no longer naming our teams after ancient dead dukes.