OT: Start Up a Vault Disney/Disney Family Channel

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
"I am not influenced by the techniques or fashions of any other motion picture company" -- Walt Disney

The Disney Channel is ignoring the very principles Disney was founded under and is spitting on the Disney name as a whole. If certain areas in this company ignore their principles, they stop the Disney name from flourishing.
Disney is not just a company, but also a man. Walt Disney was a pioneer whose philosophy for the Disney Company was always to entice people to enjoy all of his masterpieces by providing nothing but "high quality family entertainment." The company he built currently preaches about family, yet at the same time ignores the very aspects and principles of family entertainment upon which they were built. After all, "this" is where Disney came from; "this" is where Disney was more of a magical legacy than a
generic brand name, such as Nickelodeon or MTV. When the Disney Channel began to ignore these ideals, they helped to stop the Disney name from flourishing into what it was destined to be and what Walt always meant it to
be.

"That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don’t remember what it’s like to be twelve years old. They patronize; they treat children as inferiors. I won’t do that. I’ll temper a story, yes. But I won’t play down, and I won't patronize" -- Walt Disney

Through the “old” Disney Channel, people of all ages were introduced to wonderful old movies. It was on Disney that many first saw a lot of the Disney classics as well as Hollywood classics like the musicals of Rogers
and Hammerstein. It used to be programming that parents and children could watch together. At least the Disney Channel had Vault Disney; that is until 2002, when all "classic" Disney was phased off the air. Why wouldn't
today's generation like Old Yeller, Davy Crockett, Five Mile Creek, Mickey Mouse Club, Zorro, Spin & Marty, Walt Disney World Inside Out, Dumbo's Circus, Pooh Corner, White Fang, Iron Will, Flight of the Navigator, Tron, Disney's nature specials, etc? This is where Disney came from; films and programs like these are true family classics; and they deserve to be showcased on television!

"You’re dead if you aim only for kids" -- Walt Disney

Now the only group the channel plays to is the 12 and under crowd. Disney is about family, and once this channel was for family. Now it's a commercial-filled, mostly un-watchable channel. One might as well watch Nickelodeon or MTV.

There could have been installed just a few shows that would be popular with the young crowd, but instead the entire channel has been converted to a preteen/preschool dreamland.

"I do not make films primarily for children" -- Walt Disney

Many children today who end up watching the older classics on DVD actually do like them. They like them very much, in fact. The problem, though, is that their parents are the ones who actually want the discs, and as a result these kids wouldn‘t even see these movies if it weren't for them (the
parents). By deciding not to air the old films and television specials, the current company is not giving them more of a chance with a younger generation; a generation that deserves to know the history, the legacy, and the beauty of Walt Disney and his vision.

"The important thing is the family. If you can keep the family together -- and that’s the backbone of our whole business, catering to families -- that’s what we hope to do" -- Walt Disney

Help start up a Vault Disney or Disney Family Channel and put family programming there. What is the harm of mixing in classic Disney films and TV shows, for current and future generations to enjoy, with great non-Disney family fare? The very building blocks of this great company: its morals, its
principals, its values are shown in these timeless treasures. The next generation deserves to know who Walt Disney was. He is certainly one of the most beloved men of all time. Everyone deserves to know what he stood for. And we deserve to tell them.

Please join "Preserve the Magic," and help us fight to bring the pixie dust back to television:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/preservethemagic

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
A few days ago, my family and I returned from Reno. And I don't know if my obsession with Walt Disney has anything to do with this, but while going up to Nevada last week and traveling down this week, and passing by all of the beautiful scenery, through Donners Pass and everything, I am reminded of how Walt fought so adamently to bring all of this naturalistic beauty to the public. These are the very morals and ideals and "principles" Disney was founded under: entertainment that not only could be enjoyed by the entire family, but entertainment at a consistently high level. Entertainment which reflected -- so beautifully -- a deep and passionate love -- and yearning -- for America; not a cheap and dissillusioned America, but a true, naturalistic, "realistic," and country-roads-take-me-home type of America. And most of all, a real sense of the awesome beauty all around us.

This campaign has never gotten close to 300 members, and I have pledged to myself that I will work harder and more dillegently to get the word out.

But I cannot do it on my own. Please, I beg you, Lillian begs you, Marc Davis begs you, Frank Wells begs you, Roy begs you ... please: if you care at all about Disney, at "all" about the company, pass out flyers. Promote our campaign via the signature in your e-mail. Spread the word around to family, friends, co-workers, etc.

TV Land is doing wonderfully. So is The Hallmark Channel and Nick-at-Nite. Sesame Workshop is planning to unveil a 24-hour channel devoted entirely to their programming ... I really do believe that we can succeed.

I am completely serious here, and am honestly getting more fed up with Disney every day. If nothing is done, and quick, future generations will be completely unaware of what "Disney" truly means.

And that, to me, is the most frightening thing of all.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Very well stated, and I definitely agree with you. I signed the petition. :cool:
Erin

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Well Stated. I signed too and called Michael Eisner a "pig" for doing this awful thing. He shall be kicked to the curb in God's good time which I hope will come sooner rather than later.

BJ

Erine81981

Reaction score
There you go. I went ahead and signed it. Hope this help to see a new channel of old Disney. I would love to see Dumbo's Flying Circus and Classic Pooh with peole in those costumes.

baby sinclair

Reaction score
ya, hopefully with disney owning the muppets this will revive disneys old programing i miss watching care bears, fraggle rock,dumbos circus, pooh corner,my little pony tales,under the umbrella tree,secret life of toys.And bring back my childhood favorite the mommy market.AWWW i remember pleading my parents as a small child to order disney channel and was blown away by all its endlessly fun programing.With this 80's return phase i belive disney should hop onto the band wagon they do it any other time all this teenage stuff that they think is hip and cool.Is no where near being cool or entertaining.Disney should quit trying to be like all these other cheezy networks and bring back the warmth we felt long ago.They need to be a leader like walt was to so many other young movie directors and artist.It wasn't till i discoverd disney that i found my passion for making cartoons.I dont want fart jokes i want good family programing for me and my little sister to watch.So yeah this petion is right up my ally you have my vote.FIGHT THE POWER!!!! :crazy: rodent power :rolleyes:

Phantom

Reaction score
My son was born while we (wife and I--tv in delivery room) were watching Blackbeard's Ghost. I watched Zorro in the lobby while she got an epidural. Vault Disney was a significant and important part of my while it was on, but alas, I don't fit into their target demographic anymore.