other forms of puppetry

muppetfan89

Reaction score
besides the moving mouth hand rod or hand glove puppets, do you do any other forms of puppetry? I perform ventriloquism, and now I'm think about getting into marrionettes. I just don't know where to start with it or how to make a marionette. What I really want to know is how to marionettes with moving mouths. Any ideas?

Reaction score
All you need is a line to the mouth. Look in to google there's some good sites out on the web

rtgentry

Reaction score
talk to bob abdou at Mr.puppet.com he loves marionettes and knows alot about them and how they work and where you can get them. its a dying art.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Our theater recently had Phillip Huber out to visit a few weeks ago. He recommended a book to me about cloth marionettes (since I'm so entirely intimidated by carving..). If I pick it up & do something with it (the book that is), I'll let you know.

I also know that using polymer is okay, although I've heard paperclay lasts longer.

With my students I also do shadow puppetry, rod marionettes, and rod puppets.

Jim Napolitano really got me into loving Shadow Puppets.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
A really easy and inexpensive way to get started with marionettes is scarf marionettes (similar to the cloth marionettes Stacey mentioned I think). They help you get a feel for how to string and perform a marionette before carving or casting one. I've even used them (minus the strings and controller) to teach table top puppetry.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
We do scarf marionettes with our students. I don't think that's what Phillip Huber was talking about, I think it's a book about full-on marionettes but made with cloth.

I, however, love scarf marionettes. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that they were first developed by Albrecht Roser for a master-class he was teaching.