Overrated Movies

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I enjoy the cheekiness of Adam West's Batman take, it's not what I'd want to see in the theater again. Totally wrong take in this fan's opinion and that picture would likely not have created the spark as Burton's pic.
You also wonder why he would have done it. Didn't Batman get him typecast and almost ruin his career (much like a certain other batty role that typecast Bela Legousi?)

Seems his was some odd flick that would have been much better as an indie film, not a summer toy selling blockbuster. And it clearly wouldn't have sparked the Batmania that lead to said cartoon series.

Tim Burton actually takes pride in the fact that he doesn't read comic books and did very little actual reading during his research for Batman. One only need look at his Willy Wonka, Planet of the Apes or Alice in Wonderland to see that, while always visually striking with stellar performances, Burton chooses not to digest the source material before going off on his own tangents. I think all of his adaptations would be far more solid in terms of story if he'd show reverence to the original material. He's an artist.
Actually that brings a couple things I want to mention. batman was made all the way back when he was an energetic young visionary, those other films came at a time when he was set in his ways and casting the same people and setting the same tone in all of his films. I saw some, not all, some of Alice in Wonderland and I felt it decent, but it really seems the same as everything else he's done lately. I like Tim's style and all, but all it's been IS style for him lately. And I'm not going onto my Speilberg/Lucas/Zermeckis soapbox again. it just happens with directors.

if Tim Burton were to do Batman today, Johnny Depp would probably be the Joker and Helen Carter would be Harley Quinn and Batman wouldn't be in it.

That said, I'm glad someone mentioned Charlie and the Choclate Factory... here's why. I find BOTH movies overrated. You heard me. Sure, I like some of the direction the TB one took and I like... well, I like Gene Wilder... but somehow, both movies pail in comparison to the original book, especially the Sid and Marty Krofft (with a bigger budget) look of the 70's one (was that boat ride sequence necessary?) which kinda burns my eyes...

I wish someone made a GOOD animated movie with the same characters and even closer to the book.

That said, Fantastic Mr. Fox? Terribly underrated both as a movie and a Roald Dahl book.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You also wonder why he would have done it. Didn't Batman get him typecast and almost ruin his career (much like a certain other batty role that typecast Bela Legousi?)
Well yes but on the other hand actors need to earn a living and stay in the spotlight so if something works they often will go for it, even if it's the same old thing.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Sorry, but Pocahontas is not overrated at all! It's underrated. VERY underrated!

Don't get me started on its heartbreaking sequel, though. :mad:

Fortunately, most of Disney's direct-to-video sequels are not really "canon" anyway.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Obsessive much?

Great Mouse Detective was underrated... Black Cauldron was under rated.. Oliver and Company was underrated... Emperor's New Groove was viciously underrated.

Pocahontas couldn't sell half the merchandise at deep discount. Those are facts.

I Was my hands of the whole situation.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I couldn't locate the story, momentum or charismatic villain of Pocahontas. There was a story to tell there, but they went a very odd route that didn't quite pan out. Beautiful animation, of course, and some good songs too. There's a reason it fell into Disney oblivion.

Personally, I liked "The Black Cauldron" and always felt "The Great Mouse Detective" and "Oliver & Company" should have gotten their own spin-off animated series. Heck, they still could do that. Disney owns the characters and they already have some sort of fan-base, but Disney doesn't seem to make Ducktales quality shows anymore. Just imagine weekly Great Mouse Detective episodes! I think that's Disney gold.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I couldn't locate the story, momentum or charismatic villain of Pocahontas. There was a story to tell there, but they went a very odd route that didn't quite pan out. Beautiful animation, of course, and some good songs too. There's a reason it fell into Disney oblivion.
Yeah, I'm not trying to be mean when I say it stunk, but it failed to be as awesomesauce as Little Mermaid-Lion King. I mentioned a CRITICAL assessment of the film in another thread.

I've seen 90% of Disney movies, and only 2 I really disliked, the other being the dry Dinosaurs. Everything else at least had a fun element that kept me watching with a smile. But there was nothing in either film. Sure, the animation was stunning, but that shouldn't be all what a movie is about.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Bumping this thread for another movie, another musical this time around. I know this movie has it's fans and I'm in the minority on this one but...

Grease.

Bear in mind that I haven't seen the movie itself all the way through, but I know the musical very well and have seen many productions of it.

Talk to any person under the age of 18 and ask them what their favorite musical is. I guarantee you, male or female, 95% of them will say Grease. Is it really that great? In my opinion, not at all. Don't get me wrong, the music is fantastic. Not the best musical score I've heard, but it's still very good. But the story surrounding the songs? Honestly, it's the predecessor to the early 2000's Disney Channel tween fluff. Seriously. And don't even get me started on the terrible moral which is pretty much "individuality is overrated, you have to change yourself completely to get people to like you". :smirk: Great message to send to kids. :rolleyes: I've heard before that the writers wrote Grease as a satire but the satire is completely lost on me... and seemingly everybody else in the world.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it at all but there's much better movie musicals out there that deserve more attention. Honestly, the musical probably wouldn't be held in half as high a regard as it is if it weren't for having a movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
FINALLY! I'm not a fan of Grease either. I just wanted someone else to say it first. Not crazy about the music or John Travolta (I liked him in Pulp Fiction and Bolt... but that's my Travolta limit).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I used to love Grease as a kid, but yeah now it's one of those "Why did I ever like that" movies, lol. Mostly there's the questionable lesson about changing yourself for your partner. Ironically, Grease 2 wasn't as good a movie, but it had much better lessons at the end!

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
if Tim Burton were to do Batman today, Johnny Depp would probably be the Joker and Helen Carter would be Harley Quinn and Batman wouldn't be in it.
I find that a little harsh. :embarrassed:

Tim Burton might not be the best director in Hollywood (I'd like to see the fight that erupts when someone tries to take that mantle, but that's an apple for another day), but he wouldn't think that he could get away with making a Batman movie without Batman.

Granted, in Hollywood nowadays I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to make a Joker movie. However, removing Batman from a Batman movie would either take several layers of apathetic (word of the day!) executives or an untouchable director with an ego the size of Belgium. :rolleyes:

And as far as I'm aware, he has not yet reached the status of 'Untouchable' (The size of his ego still eludes me, however).

As for Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, can you really blame him for casting stars that he's comfortable working with?

That's my two-and-a-half cents. Please don't kill me! :eek: