Packaged Palisades Sesame Figures on eBay

beaker

Reaction score
It seems that Mattel's 40th anniversary line was trying to recreate that, but I think they failed on the level of using old figure sculpts and having such a skimpy line up... Had they packaged new figures in the same way, but packaging one popular "Gotta have it" character with a semi-obscure classic character, they would have had gold. I mean, think about it. Elmo and Sherlock Hemlock, Cookie Monster and Guy Smiley, Ernie and The Two Headed Monster... The popular characters would help sell the not so popular characters. I'm not talking Monty or Preston here... just ones that are fan favorites and classic iconic characters.

The era of the large, ultra detailed action figure, while not quite dead, is passing. Now companies want to charge the exact same amount we paid (initially at least) on Muppet Action figures for those skimpy Star Wars 3 inch things. And collectors are flocking to blind boxed vynals. And I'm back to whatever I can find on clearance.

I'm hoping with the shift to Hasbro, the company that invented the minifigure buddy pack, we'll see something that will be profitable to kids that adult fan collectors will enjoy. Not just the same old same old of Singing Elmos.

Man, I Miss Applause.
I ALWAYS hated the Mcfarlane giant grotesquely detailed 7" statue like, limited articulated figures. Just too big.

And I HATE even more how all the figures now are tiny thin frail figures like Avatar, Terminator Salvation or Marvel and YET they are still $10-$12! crazy

And youre so right about how nice itd be to have the one well known and one more obscure/forgotten two pack.

Btw, you do know IF they were to come out with cool figures and stuff like this...youd actually have to have a few bucks to buy them? :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Terminator Salvation's 3 inch figures are going for 2 bucks or less... and STILL no one wants them! :halo:

Yeah, I never have any money even when the stuff is good. But I just wanna see the effort on their part. Now, we're off anniversary, and it may be even 10 years before we get something good for one. Really, Mattel dropped every possible ball handed to them, Recession or no Recession, focus on smaller collector AND child friendly stuff and not those Singing, dancing, interactive Elmo dolls. The Smaller Collect-a-pals seem to always be flying off the shelves.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I'm making an offer for the Oscar figure. I don't suppose he'll take $12.99 :grouchy:

beaker

Reaction score
Terminator Salvation's 3 inch figures are going for 2 bucks or less... and STILL no one wants them! :halo:

Yeah, I never have any money even when the stuff is good. But I just wanna see the effort on their part. Now, we're off anniversary, and it may be even 10 years before we get something good for one. Really, Mattel dropped every possible ball handed to them, Recession or no Recession, focus on smaller collector AND child friendly stuff and not those Singing, dancing, interactive Elmo dolls. The Smaller Collect-a-pals seem to always be flying off the shelves.
My worry is that Disney could release an Jim Henson Hour action figure set along with a set of every Darkwing Duck figure ever
and you wouldnt have any dough to get any of em:frown:
We need to remedy that situation man!(Just remember, the few bucks that Up figure set woulda cost you coulda made you bucko bucks on ebay!)

My problem is I can kind of scrounge the money if necessary, but the stuff I want I can never seem to win on ebay or find in stores *sad panda*

I got the Snuffy ball thing. Though the sight of Elmo makes me want to vomit. I swear, someday the world will be just, and there'll be Murray Monster and Big Mean Carl plushes and figures:smile:

Oh, they could release those Terminator Salvation figures as 2 for a dollar deals at 99 cent stores and no kid would want em. Collectors dont want em, kids dont want em, noone does. Theyre garbage.

Now...why cant we see 2003-2006 era TMNT figures from playmates on discount? I never was able to find a Gen rhino figure or a lot of the other cool ones.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Crummy movie tie-in figures only sell well at time of release. It's a cynical marketing ploy. Why make them better if you don't have to? Stores like Wal-Mart (and specifically Wal-Mart) encourage such cheapness in quality. There are so many ways that particular chain taints quality items and their ruthless mission to cut costs below what's possible is a contributing factor to hazardous toys!

As for McFarlane's sculpted toys vs much more simplified figures...well...I think there's a medium between the two. My perfext sixed figure would be no taller than Palisades' Classic Gonzo. Even though I love the articulation of the figures, they didn't really need so much of it. I still appreciate every bit that Gonzo or Zoot has.

McFarlane's figures are more like textured maquettes and that's okay. But some people just want regular figures. I really could go for a smaller Muppets line of simple PVCs. It would be great if Disney could make all the characters - even the rare ones. But to do so is very expensive and the profit margin is so slight to ever see a Digit figure on the market. Once the Muppets make it bigger maybe that'll change.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Crummy movie tie-in figures only sell well at time of release. It's a cynical marketing ploy. Why make them better if you don't have to? Stores like Wal-Mart (and specifically Wal-Mart) encourage such cheapness in quality. There are so many ways that particular chain taints quality items and their ruthless mission to cut costs below what's possible is a contributing factor to hazardous toys!
They could have got the four horsemen and brought Michelangelo (not the turtle, the sculptor) and the figures could have a billion points of articulation and have a budget of 3 thousand dollars a figure, and then turn around and sell them for 5 bucks each with a free DVD and poster and STILL no one would want Terminator Salvation stuff. To quote Mr. Stubborn, That movie was CHEAP! The other stuff seems to at least sell at clearance. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Toys for Tots recipients wound up getting an unhappy surprise of a full line of Terminator Salvation toys. Really, no one had the foresight to see that movie was going nowhere fast. Heck, if one of your actors gets caught on the internet fuming and raging while making it, maybe he wasn't mad at the lousy help, maybe he was mad at the lousy script. But let's not think about that.

McFarlane's figures are more like textured maquettes and that's okay. But some people just want regular figures. I really could go for a smaller Muppets line of simple PVCs. It would be great if Disney could make all the characters - even the rare ones. But to do so is very expensive and the profit margin is so slight to ever see a Digit figure on the market. Once the Muppets make it bigger maybe that'll change.
I want an action figure that's just that. An ACTION FIGURE, not an expensive put together bust. I liked their initial line of Austin Powers (only because I really liked it at the time) and Yellow Submarine. But after a while, they made cool sculpt for the sake of cool sculpt "Twisted______" figures (yeah... that's what I want... a Mother Goose character with blood dripping from its eye sockets, and the Scarecrow doing unspeakable on this board things to Dorothy while The Tin Man and The Cowardly Lion watch), and ego driven Spawn figures. Honestly, I think everyone here needs to dig up a copy of Mighty mouse #6 or 7 (can't remember which one)... that one put Todd MacFarline in his place so bad, I don't even need to finish that statement.

I did like their Hong Kong Phooey, but I'm deathly afraid to open it. Looks like it would shatter into a billion pieces if I even looked at it.

I got the Snuffy ball thing. Though the sight of Elmo makes me want to vomit. I swear, someday the world will be just, and there'll be Murray Monster and Big Mean Carl plushes and figures
The fact they even made Snuffy filled my heart with joy! The Count too. These characters appeared in every or every other episode (though the Count hasn't been on as much recently, since they did away with the Organ Counting number of the day bit)...Now, there are a lot of logistics and designing flaws that keep a lot of other characters from being made (Big Bird would NEVER work... his beak would have to either point down or sideways), and I think they have the most extensive line of those figures with Sesame Street (Even Disney only made their stand bys, Mickey, Minnie, Pooh and Tigger)... but I want to see a second series that had Baby Bear and Murray. Telly wouldn't work, head's too pointy. Same problem with Bert.

But all and all I DESPERATELY want to see a good PVC line. One that has more than the standard characters... one that attempts to make a Telly and a Murray (they're on almost every episode, yet Telly's merchandise could be counted on one hand, and Murray has only a book appearance under his wing... and he freaking hosts the show now). Again, I miss Applause. They at LEAST made a Rosita, and never shied away from lesser known characters.

beaker

Reaction score
They could have got the four horsemen and brought Michelangelo (not the turtle, the sculptor) and the figures could have a billion points of articulation and have a budget of 3 thousand dollars a figure, and then turn around and sell them for 5 bucks each with a free DVD and poster and STILL no one would want Terminator Salvation stuff. To quote Mr. Stubborn, That movie was CHEAP! The other stuff seems to at least sell at clearance. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Toys for Tots recipients wound up getting an unhappy surprise of a full line of Terminator Salvation toys. Really, no one had the foresight to see that movie was going nowhere fast. Heck, if one of your actors gets caught on the internet fuming and raging while making it, maybe he wasn't mad at the lousy help, maybe he was mad at the lousy script. But let's not think about that.
I saw the Toyfare and Tomart(yes, I read that!) magazine coverage of T:S figures and toys way before the film came out...and I was like "wow, those are hideous". Playmates, what happened? First the UGLY 2007-2010 TMNT figures, then T:S. Fail!

I was just at Toys R Us. The only figures that are big are the glut of wrasslin figures, and the Mcflarlane styled but oh so cool abundance of M rated video game based figures(pricey suckers tho!) The rest? ALL back to the glorious 3 3/4 line! Take that everyone who has to have Mcfarlane styled big clunky figures:smile:
Im just sad there hasnt been any new Mario figures, no NON mario Nintendo figures, and very little retro gamer figures and toys.

But all and all I DESPERATELY want to see a good PVC line. One that has more than the standard characters... one that attempts to make a Telly and a Murray (they're on almost every episode, yet Telly's merchandise could be counted on one hand, and Murray has only a book appearance under his wing... and he freaking hosts the show now). Again, I miss Applause. They at LEAST made a Rosita, and never shied away from lesser known characters.
Im tired of pvcs, sorry. I say its time for action figures, like these
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Sesame_Street_poseable_figures

Not pvc, not Palisades style...but like these:smile: Itd be amazingly glorious!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Those would be grand, I say. Small enough for kids, generally good for collectors. Not something that needs all the detail, and something that wouldn't cost over 10 bucks. yeah... that Fisher Price Muppet/ Muppets go Hollywood scale could be beneficial for a line that wouldn't draw too much problems for having small parts and choking hazards, so it would be safe for nearsighted grannies that don't read the fine print about age brackets to give to their grandkids.

I still think a Buddy Pack style PVC thing is the best way to go for the more obscure characters, though. heck, I'd by an Elmo if a Guy Smiley or Benny Rabbit was packaged with it.

beaker

Reaction score
Those would be grand, I say. Small enough for kids, generally good for collectors. Not something that needs all the detail, and something that wouldn't cost over 10 bucks. yeah... that Fisher Price Muppet/ Muppets go Hollywood scale could be beneficial for a line that wouldn't draw too much problems for having small parts and choking hazards, so it would be safe for nearsighted grannies that don't read the fine print about age brackets to give to their grandkids.

I still think a Buddy Pack style PVC thing is the best way to go for the more obscure characters, though. heck, I'd by an Elmo if a Guy Smiley or Benny Rabbit was packaged with it.
Benny Rabbit! Man I want him. As well as Hoots, Bruno, Sesame Penguin, Forgetful Jones, etc.

Drtooth

Reaction score
All I'm saying is that the other anniversary merchandise from season 30 and 35 at least attempted to get some fan favorites in. The Count and a Honker shouldn't be considered fan favorites. That's something reserved for Herry Monster, Sherlock Hemlock, Forgetful Jones and like that. I'm pretty disappointed we didn't get any of them in any way.