Pakistan Sesame ends due to some sort of fraud problem

mupcollector1

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/us-ends-funding-pakistans-sesame-street-170912319--finance.html

I just seen this when going to my email. I don't fully understand it but I guess the US funded about $20 Million to the Pakistan version of Sesame Street and someone hacked into some kind of phone line and used the money or other purposes or something like that.

Did anyone hear this?

I think it's kind of sad that they had to end this project. Just the idea of having international Sesame Streets around the world, it's kind of like world peace in a way.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That is pretty sick. I mean at the same time you could argue why are we sending money to a country that has made it pretty clear it's not our friend. Sometimes tough love is the better option, heh.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That is pretty sick. I mean at the same time you could argue why are we sending money to a country that has made it pretty clear it's not our friend. Sometimes tough love is the better option, heh.
The point is to try to turn the kids off of that toxic atmosphere. Remember the unlicensed Anti-Semetic Mickey mouse (Insert nasty joke about Walt Disney here)?

The younger generation is never the problem. It's the older generations trying to instill hate and malice into them so the unthinkable doesn't happen... that intolerance and stupidity doesn't die with them.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The younger generation is never the problem. It's the older generations trying to instill hate and malice into them so the unthinkable doesn't happen... that intolerance and stupidity doesn't die with them.
Terrorists recruit from young people because young people are angry, insecure and searching for a purpose in life. Yes the older generation tries to manipulate but the young people make their own choice ultimately.

Of course I know you're talking about children. And I do certainly supporting trying to reach them. But at the same time we shouldn't be surprised when our efforts to make nice with these countries don't pay off.

Hubert

Reaction score
Well, we're not trying to exactly make nice with the country with this funding. We're more trying to help all children, whether or not we like their country, receive the education that they deserve.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, we're not trying to exactly make nice with the country with this funding. We're more trying to help all children, whether or not we like their country, receive the education that they deserve.
Oh yeah definitely. Just saying I understand the US's concern that we can't keep sending money if we don't have the confidence that it's going to be used correctly. It's like giving money to the spouse of an abusive alcoholic. You mean well but the money could very easily fall into the wrong hands.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Of course I know you're talking about children. And I do certainly supporting trying to reach them. But at the same time we shouldn't be surprised when our efforts to make nice with these countries don't pay off.
It doesn't work much because those who the show is intended for are too young to hold any power. They still could be susceptible to the whole evil system later, but as of now, they're still finding the conflict ridiculous and beneath them as children.

Children are not born to hate. They don't know what hate is, except for hating to have to eat vegetables. Hate is learned the older you get. If they try to instill how stupid that is when they're younger, there's a good chance they'll keep those values and learn to be well adjusted people that aren't tools of something far more sinister that takes the guise of religion.

Still, programs like this are a much better use of American money than, let's say, the amount times a hundred to drop bombs on them, killing innocent civilians and giving continued relevance and fuel for the terrorist forces to recruit disenfranchised young men. Like I've been saying all along, our military actions in the Middle East ARE why we have terrorists in the first place.