Paper Mache

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Hello everyone! It's been a while since my last post and I wanted to talk about a topic that doesn't seem to get alot of discussion here: paper mache. I've gotten some pretty good results from it, and also from paper mache like products. Paper Clay is one that's fantastic for nice sculpted looking heads, especially if you use it over styrofoam balls. NOW, here's my challenge to all of you puppet makers out there: SHOW ME YOUR BEST PAPER MACHE PUPPET WORK! Show us how you can use brown paper lunch bags and wheat or wood glue pastes to make puppet heads and hands. Share pictures of your own Celluclay (a paper mache mash product you add water to for instant paper mache, fyi). Put down your foam books and let me see what you can do with paper mache!

Take care all and let me see what you got!
Marc
:zany:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think there actually has been some paper mache discission recently. One article that is very handy when doing puppets this way is "Paper Mache Rediscovered" By Ronnie Burkett.

The article is available online at http://home.eol.ca/~props/papier.html and includes a number of different recipies.

Dagger Claws

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Buck. I'd like to see what people have done with paper mache, even though this is a very profoam group. I'm not bad mouthing foam, because it's a pretty good material to use. But, I've found that you can get some equally good results from paper mache as well. I use paper clay alot. Has anyone else ever used this product before? How were your results? What did you make?
Marc

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I've used paper clay for some theatrical projects. For the most part I prefer foam (put me in that "pro-foam" group) because it's flexible.

leliebel

Reaction score
my avater is one of the paper mache mask I have made. I used a mold I made from isolation blocks, regular wallpaper glue and kitchen towellettes... A LOT of them. They have to be quite compresse to make the mask firm. They make it smooth and detailed. The filling has some newspaper in it, because it's faster. This particular one took about 3 days to dry. What I like about paper mache is that it's firm, easy, and lightweight. But then again, I haven't really used foam block yet. I have yous foam flakes as stuffing in little paltc bags though and I think I'll finish that puppet tonight.

Does anyone know a good sight to post pictures where to I can link from here?

Show and Tell

Reaction score
leliebel said:
Does anyone know a good sight to post pictures where to I can link from here?
This is a good site. http://angelfire.lycos.com/doc/faq/newcomer/ Its what I use. I posted this http://www.angelfire.com/comics/puppetbuilder/ in just an hour and I'd never setup a site before at all. I didn't even know the diference between a web page and a web site. My point is they make it pretty simple with easy to follow instructions. And http://geocities.yahoo.com/v/pb.html This is another good one.

leliebel

Reaction score
Aah, thank you. I used to use uploadsites, like imagestation or webphoto, but they don't allow linking anymore.

Kamit

Reaction score
I love using papier mache. It's such a versatile medium and absolutely great for people who are just getting into a craft and don't want to spend a lot on fancy foams or fibreglass (speaking from more of the cosplaying rather than the puppeteer side of things).

I've seen the "Paper Mache Rediscovered" By Ronnie Burkett article, Buck and it is very good. Right now I am experimenting with a number of different pulp recipes as I have two costumes that will require "armoured" pieces that need to be completed for late May, when convention season starts.