Parody/Spoof Movies Thread

muppetfan1999

Reaction score
I really like spoof movies so I decided to make a thread about spoof movies.
For those of you that don't know what a spoof movie is, its basically a genre of movie that's making fun of other movies by making funny versions of them like making Alvin and the chimpmunks rabid man eating chipmunks.
Most of the time funny, but sometimes they are just creepy.
So my question is, what are your favorite parody movies (what they are really called). Also, create you own spoof if you want.
Have fun!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I hate those movies like a sickness... OMG, they're SO pointless!

muppetfan1999

Reaction score
What are you talking about? Those movies are cool. how can you not like them?

Drtooth

Reaction score
What are you talking about? Those movies are cool. how can you not like them?
The parodies get sloppier and sloppier and it really looks like a 90 minute MadTV skit. They weren't terrible to begin with, when they made fun of one or two movies and briefly referenced other, but then they turned into a schizophrenic mash up of "What current movie character can we make crap themselves" or something.

I want to see a movie parody like the ones Mel Brooks used to do. Even Dracula Dead and Loving it was a much better thought out film than those, and it was my least favorite Brooksfilm.

I LOOOOOVE Spaceballs, though. And Robin Hood Men in Tights was pretty good.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I agree. lately, that trend is getting a little old. Now, if you even put out a decent or good one, they have just been worn out.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I want to see a movie parody like the ones Mel Brooks used to do. Even Dracula Dead and Loving it was a much better thought out film than those, and it was my least favorite Brooksfilm.

I LOOOOOVE Spaceballs, though. And Robin Hood Men in Tights was pretty good.
Here, here!

At least Mel Brooks' movies were well thought out with some very funny bits coming out of nowhere (cows stampeding through a town meeting, anyone?) and didn't resort to endless crude humor and sex jokes. (But I will never forgive him for introducing Hollywood to the fart joke (why is that FUNNY anyway?))

Drtooth

Reaction score
(But I will never forgive him for introducing Hollywood to the fart joke (why is that FUNNY anyway?))
It was funny because it was shocking at the time. And a good fart joke well devised and cleverly executed is funny. It's tossing farts in for a cheap laugh that I hate. Anything can be funny if properly thought out and executed. The movie parodies in question throw together cheap laughs. I think Meet the Spartans totally dumbed things down to an annoying degree. When their biggest joke is stealing Youtube videos (Irony, anybody?) you KNOW you're in for a horrible film.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
It was funny because it was shocking at the time. And a good fart joke well devised and cleverly executed is funny. It's tossing farts in for a cheap laugh that I hate.
I'll have to give it to you there. They can be funny IF there is a reason for the wind breaking, e.g. the endless eating of beans in Blazing Saddles or used to kill a fish in Shrek.
I've just seen so many movies use fart jokes I just don't question if they have a reason to be there or not.

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
If you're talking good spoof movies; Those who haven't seen it should check out Airplane!

It spoofs some old tv shows and movies, and is full of classic one-liners.

Then compare that to the likes of something like "insert adjective" Movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've just seen so many movies use fart jokes I just don't question if they have a reason to be there or not.
I know I bring up Japanese stuff a lot, but I think they have a much more sophisticated way of using toilet humor... or at least a funnier one. You all know my favorite series is Kinnikuman/Ultimate Muscle, and there is NO show more married to farts than that one. In fact, translated into English, Kinnikuman's catchphrase means "I won't have to push all of my farts!"

It's just when they use it cheaply without thinking for a cheap laugh it just doesn't sit well with me. Like the under the towel fart in Alvin and the Chipmunks... did they need to do that? But look at the Seinfeld episode where Kramer takes care of a Hansom Cab horse, feeds it Beefarino, and has the horse cutting one every second... not only was it cleverly done, but it affected the plot.

And Frankly, I don't just feel that sort of thing for poop jokes... I think a LOT of the pop culture gags are used in the same fashion as these movies. Cheap laughs made at the moment that won't be funny a year or two later... Disaster movie I won't even touch... I've seen scenes of it and it should have been called "90 minute MadTV sketch about every single movie that came out after the last one of these things Movie." I think the problem lies right there. Make fun of ONE movie at a time. Reference a couple more... Look at Spaceballs... the whole movie was a satire of Star Wars, but they made brief references to Alien, Planet of the Apes, Indiana Jones, and even Transformers. They didn't have parodies of those movies coming up every 5 minutes and falling over their own feet or getting set on fire for no reason.