Past the Radar Muppet Moments

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
(NOTE: Mods, if this topic seems inappropriate, or we already have a thread for this, please feel free to delete it)

For those who don't know, a "Past the Radar" moment is a vulgar, suggestive, politically incorrect or otherwise inappropriate moment that manages to sneak itself past the ever-vigilant eyes and ears of censors, ready to delight discerning viewers.

Consider this a thread to compile any PTR moments from not just TMS, but all the movies and specials as well.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I'd name some but they flew past my radar.

Seriously though, with The Muppets, their humor was such that even when they did stuff that was suggestive, it was done with so much gentleness and multi-layered subtlety that they didn't have to fly past the censors that something on say, Laugh-In had to, but rather fell into the category of making the adults laugh and "get it" while flying over kids' heads or making them think it was funny for another reason.

Perfect example: Piggy's fantasies during Never Before, Never Again. Tell most people or the casual fan that there's actually an implied sex scene between Piggy and Kermit and they won't believe it - until you give the physical evidence.

One of my favorites: that moment in the Tempation number (TMS, Juliet Prowse) where Piggy sings "here is my heart" and totally thrusts her chest into Kermit's face...and his priceless expression.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Perfect example: Piggy's fantasies during Never Before, Never Again. Tell most people or the casual fan that there's actually an implied sex scene between Piggy and Kermit and they won't believe it - until you give the physical evidence.
I'm not a casual fan, but I've never noticed that before.

Anyway, when it comes to scenes that might have flown past the radar, in the Carol Burnett episode there's a scene where Miss Piggy suggests inviting Kermit to her dressing room during the next rest period, and Kermit just ordered her to keep dancing.

And in the Raquel Welch episode, after singing with Fozzie, she invites Fozzie up to her dressing room, alone... But of course Fozzie nervously asks if he can bring a friend.

Dearth

Reaction score
I do improv comedy, and in our troupe we have different styles and approaches. When we do shows that are kid-friendly, we have a loose rule about "walking up to the line" but not crossing it.

If you can get RIGHT to the edge of the adult reference, so that it's actually completed in the mind of the individual audience members, it actually engages them better in the joke. It's arguably funnier than saying it outright.

I think my favorite moment of the Muppets walking up to the line is in Dog City... during one song by Colleen, the next logical rhyming word would be the censor-able term for a female dog. But just before she would have said it, Rowlf interrupts with an *ahem* and says "Welcome to family programming, folks!"

Alex

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
Here's one that I was surprised got past the censors:

In the "At the Dance" spot for the Lena Horne episode:

Miss Piggy: My aunt has a chest that goes back to the 1700's
Piggy's Partner: That must be difficult for your uncle.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Okay, not a Muppet moment, but a Fraggle moment, which, to their credit, is a bigger achievement seeing as Fraggle Rock was aimed specifically at kids.

Pa Gorg: Son, it's time we had a talk.
Junior Gorg: Oh boy! Oh boy! Is this that talk?
Pa Gorg: Yes. It's time you learned how to rule the universe.
Junior Gorg: ...Oh, this is that talk.

Makes me crack up every time.

Dearth

Reaction score
I also like the gag in one of the documentaries where Dave Goelz and Steve Whitmire are talking about puppeteering being uncomfortable... smash cut to Rizzo saying, "Oh yeah? How would you like to have someone's hand up your---" and Gonzo interjects "Back!" as a panicked precaution.

I mean, you could tell a kid that Rizzo was gonna say something else, but just from his attitude, there's not a doubt in my mind what the final word would have been without Gonzo's timely substitution.

Alex

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
The When Harry Met Sally sequence in the Billy Crystal episode of Muppets Tonight. Watched that again for the first time since I was six the other day and hoooo boy.

Slackbot

Reaction score
In the FR episode Gunge the Great and Glorious, Gunge sings:
No one knows how great I am,
'Cause no one gives a good door slam​
That's a pretty obvious euphemism in the second line, and mentally I heard the words the euphemism stood for. However, if I'd watched this as a kid I'd have taken the lyrics at face value.