PBS shows

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
not sure if this is PBS, or nick but Yo-Gabba Gabba is one of the craziest things ive seen.

Besides the fact that its a guy wearing the most disturbing orange outfit ever, he talks to inanimate objects too. Their songs arent even original, or at leaste using popular songs (Like barney does) They literally sing the same line over-and over for like three minutes.

I recently watched a show about sharing and every character gets a ball to play with and when the slightest thing happens the (Disturbing) monsters have a full blown tantrum (Much like Caillou) and its up to the orange guy to set them straight.

The songs literally were "Its more fun to share, its more fun to share" Over and over again as some talking trees sing along too, and he tosses the ball around with the giant pink monkey.
It's Nick, but it stinks anyway...

Drtooth

Reaction score
What ever happened to the good shows like the big comfy couch...? Nick Jr has been taken over by weirdo shows.
I HATE Big Comfy Couch! Always have. I hate the fact that the star of the show is the same voice actor as Jubilee from the 1990's X-Men, of whom I had a childhood cartoon crush on (something I'm ashamed to admit). And I hated how annoying it was when my sister watched it.

But then again, I grew up with Zoobilie Zoo and Reading Rainbow, so it was after my time anyway.

But here's the thing about Yo Gabba Gabba... it comes from some very good prodigy. The Wikipedia article lists them all...

Good Sweet Mike! Evan Dorkin! One of the greatest indie comic artists and writers of all time, who at one time wrote for Space Ghost Coast to Coast. Matt Chapman, of Homestar Runner Fame... and they have more musical guests than you can shake a stick at. Repetitive and juvenile as it is, it sure is full of hot talent. But it is what Hipsters have their baby's watch. I see the appeal on that level. Heck, I love the Kure Kure Takora (look it up) inspired character designs.

Also, I love Wow Wow Wubzy... it's so... "KoooOOOOooooky!"

Reaction score
Sargent: I dont accually have the channel, the only TV I know is netflix and Hulu...so im only stating what i remember of the shows. PBS shows are fine.

drtooth: I guess that makes sence about the Big comfy couch thing, but i just love how dumb they act. and dont be embarrased to have a cartoon crush, :stick_out_tongue:, there are plenty of attractive cartoon characters like some anime show characters and Link from legends of zelda.

and yo gabba gabba probably was a good moneymaker (Dont know how that stuff works...)...also i dont know EXACTLY whay prodigy even means...sorry. but your probably right anway.

as for all the other shows you mentioned ive never watched so i wouldnt know.

as for wow wow wubzy, i would have to agree. havent seen it in awhile though...i remember playing some robo chicken game on the nick website (I think its nick). I remember a show were shekira guessed starred.

Drtooth

Reaction score
drtooth: I guess that makes sence about the Big comfy couch thing, but i just love how dumb they act. and dont be embarrased to have a cartoon crush, :stick_out_tongue:, there are plenty of attractive cartoon characters like some anime show characters and Link from legends of zelda.
I hate admitting it because I usually decry that sort of thing. Still, hearing that she was the same voice actress killed my childhood.

I still don't get the clock stretching bit. That's the dictionary definition of filler.

and yo gabba gabba probably was a good moneymaker (Dont know how that stuff works...)...also i dont know EXACTLY whay prodigy even means...sorry. but your probably right anway.
There's a lot of talent behind that show, and it was conceived by two fathers (one would go on to become one of The AquaBats. I've heard some great things about that series, though I've never seen it. I have seen a Youtube video of a concert they held. They had Puppet Homestar or Strongbad with them. I'll take that over Dora and those Dora-esque shows anyday. of course, I've never really been big on Nick Jr's shows. Little Bill was cute, I admit. No Fat Albert, but Bill Cosby wasn't going for another Fat Albert show. Everything else besides that and Wubzy, I really don't get the appeal of, and I usually can find appeal in preschool programs.

AS for PBS, everything;s basically good on that channel currently. My only complaint is Super Why, and that annoys me for being a Dora clone and a completely wasted concept. I'm huge into Martha Speaks and Word Girl. Sadly, I heard tell Word Girl is going to end in 13 episodes (knowing PBS that may take a couple years... still...). And UGH! I really wanted to see another episode with The Learnerer (voiced by Weird Al, of course). Also very disappointed it never got the merchandise it should have. I wanted a Chuck The Evil Sandwich Making Guy action figure.

Xerus

Reaction score
WordGirl is ending? And it was a great sophisticated show too. I remember Animalia was a great show filled with a continuing storyline and humor and I was sad it left my PBS station a few years ago.
WordGirl and Animalia were basically shows for big kids. WordGirl had a TV Y7 rating. I think it would do PBS some good if they made more cartoons for big kids as well as little kids.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Xerus, remember way back in the beginning?
Before PBS, there was NET, and the only two shows in their line-up were the first season of Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers? And THAT was IT!!

In my childhood I was a PBS junkie, with SS, Mr. Rogers, Electric Company, Zoom, learned Spanish through Carrascolendas and Villa Allegre, and a few others you have to be over 40 to remember, like HodgePodgeLodge and Uncle Smiley.

For a while this was all there was, but it was plenty. And not a dud in the bunch.

Xerus

Reaction score
Xerus, remember way back in the beginning?
Before PBS, there was NET, and the only two shows in their line-up were the first season of Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers? And THAT was IT!!

In my childhood I was a PBS junkie, with SS, Mr. Rogers, Electric Company, Zoom, learned Spanish through Carrascolendas and Villa Allegre, and a few others you have to be over 40 to remember, like HodgePodgeLodge and Uncle Smiley.

For a while this was all there was, but it was plenty. And not a dud in the bunch.
Yes, I remember the good old days of PBS. Especially those clever 15 minute educational shows on the weekdays like The Letter People, Math Patrol, Readalong, Slim Goodbody, and Read All About It.

Also there were regular cartoons on PBS back then. But they aired on Sesame Street, Electric Company, Square One TV, and Vegetable Soup. Sesame Street had Billy Joe Jive, Electric Company had Letterman, Square One TV had Dirk Nibblick and Mathman, and Vegetable Soup had cool stuff like Woody the Spoon and The Big Game Hunt. And the PBS cartoons seemed to have better writing and artwork than most of the Saturday morning cartoons of the 70's and 80's.

Reaction score
true. i didn't get that bit either, and i'm sure when i was younger i would hurt myself trying to stretch my leg to 12 o'clock. and I haven't seen weird al shows or some of those shows you listed besides the modern ones. And i cannot stand super why... i don't know WHY (cheesy pun intended). but i hate how they sugar coat good stories like the emperors new clothes.

And if they had a 'chuck the evil sandwich making guy' action figure i would kill to have one. Sounds epic.