"Peanuts" movie in development for November 2015 release

Drtooth

Reaction score
One thing that kinda puzzles me. Is this the first Peanuts movie that actually has the word Peanuts in the title? In the past, it was always "Something Something, Charlie Brown!" or occasionally Snoopy. Maybe they're thinking, "Oh kids won't know Charlie Brown." But judging from the reactions from that kid's video a few posts back, kids do seem to know who Charlie Brown is. And in any case, what makes them think unknowing kids will be attracted to the word Peanuts instead?

Peanuts is basically the title for branding sake. However, that's just the American title. Strangely enough most foreign titles actually have Charlie Brown or Snoopy's name heavily featured in the title. Japan basically blows them away by calling it (wait for it) "I Love Snoopy" (or something to that extent). I believe there's an international title that has it called "The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Movie", strangely linking it to the unrelated TV show from the 80's. That said, were there ever any TV specials that didn't use Charlie Brown's name in the title? Especially the ones where he was barely in and they almost exclusively featured Snoopy.

You know, about the jazz soundtrack, I'd love to see them use that, but I don't think any of the movies used similar music to the specials. Snoopy Come Home had more of a traditional animated film score, as did Bon Voyage and Don't Come Back. Can't remember Boy Named Charlie Brown and I'm not sure about Race for Your Life.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Japan basically blows them away by calling it (wait for it) "I Love Snoopy" (or something to that extent).
Lol, good old Japan! :smile: Can we all just call the movie that from now on?

You know, about the jazz soundtrack, I'd love to see them use that, but I don't think any of the movies used similar music to the specials. Snoopy Come Home had more of a traditional animated film score, as did Bon Voyage and Don't Come Back. Can't remember Boy Named Charlie Brown and I'm not sure about Race for Your Life.
You're right, the movies did go in a different direction from the jazz, though nothing like what was in that trailer (but like you said, that could just be the trailer).

mr3urious

Reaction score
Peanuts is basically the title for branding sake. However, that's just the American title.
Schultz never liked the name Peanuts, which was what United Features called it after rejecting the name "Li'l Folks" because of a possible copyright issue. He instead preferred to call it "Good Ol' Charlie Brown" (and Peanuts Featuring Good Ol' Charlie Brown was the title used in some papers).

In countries where the '50s slang term for children is unfamiliar, they would use a different title. And it was even titled "Radishes" in Denmark and some Spanish-speaking countries, which was probably just as confusing.

http://www.snopes.com/language/misxlate/peanuts.asp

Drtooth

Reaction score
You're right, the movies did go in a different direction from the jazz, though nothing like what was in that trailer (but like you said, that could just be the trailer).
Trailers have a way of using music that isn't there or to try to "hip up" a film. I've noticed they have TV spots that use some ominous chanting type music that I just can't for the life of me remember the name of, but it's used a lot. Somehow that's even less fitting.

I have a feeling the Schulz estate pretty much vetoed anything awful about current kiddy films. I'd tend to think that the estate and the writers successfully fought Fox on this one (unlike a certain other comic strip I know) Sure, you can say most Peanuts projects have some small product of the time to them. Like the ever confounding Aluminum Christmas Tree bit from the Christmas special, but some hipsters are bringing that back I guess. The only Peanuts specials I feel dated poorly were Flashbeagle and The Girl in the Red Truck (mainly due to the very 80's live action bits). Not to say Flashbeagle wasn't good, I always really liked that one for some reason, and the music is quite good. But it seems like the whole special came about because Charles overheard someone talking about Flashdance and said "Hey, that'll be hip" and somehow made it about Disco years after the fact. But overall, it's pretty good. Same can't be said for Girl in the Red Truck. That one was just... a bad idea and a what were they thinking (beyond going after Roger Rabbit cash) moment. Shame, since Spike's one of my favorites.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Can I ask a question? Was is it absolutely necessary to shoehorn Stewie and Brian in this commercial?

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Can I ask a question? Was is it absolutely necessary to shoehorn Stewie and Brian in this commercial?

Target always shoe horns in pointless guest stars like the one from Christmas a few years ago with Elmo r2d2 and a few others.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Remember that the film company both produces this movie and owns the rights to the Family Guy characters.

Then of course, there's all those Peanuts references in Family Guy, so it makes a little sense.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ugh. That annoying robot voice.

Boy, OMG, I can't believe this movie is rated G! I thought you couldn't rate movies G anymore because nobody will see them?