PETA at Westminster

animalrescuer

Reaction score
Last night on USA Network, I was watching the best in show judging at the Wsetminster Kennel Club dog show in New York. After the Doberman showed her stuff, I heard a commotion in the crowd. The commentators weren't saying anything and nothing was being shown on the screen to viewers at home. I didn't know what it was about until I discover this:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100217/ap_on_sp_ot/dog_show

It's not the first time something like this happened at Westminster:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2009/02/peta-protests-w.html

After the fact, I was really PO'd because what they say isn't true about breeders. They breed dogs responsibly. They should target puppy mills where they breed dogs just for money and irresponsibly and pet stores where they get puppy mill dogs from.

I'm just venting this information here and I want everyone who's a dog lover give their opinion on this. I'll respect any comment that you leave, but frankly, I think the people at PETA are idiots!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:sympathy:I'm a vegetarian and don't believe in mills, fur or animal testing, but PETA has always seemed way too extreme and distorts much of the information they report. I still have a little gelatin in my protein bars, wear leather shoes and jackets and have considered eating albacore again for training.

There is a circle of life and all life should be respected and honored, but we should acknowledge where people fit in. There is a lot people should do for animal rights, but PETA’s efforts are often counterproductive and intellectually dishonest. They create silly campaigns about fish being the sea’s kittens and lose all credibility to thinking people. It’s a shame. I wish there were an alternative rights group to PETA. :sympathy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
In the words of Raven of Teen Titans, "I respect that you don't eat meat, please respect I don't eat fake meat." And frankly, that's the problem with that lunatic fringe group. I respect what people like them do, and what they would want to do, but I just don't respect when they force their opinions down everyone's throats and make silly little rivalries against silly things that mean no harm. What does it say when you have a group of crazies that want to use human milk in ice cream (considering what you'd have to do to get it) and declares that Cooking Mama is evil, because it cooks imaginary gourmet meat products. Their campaigns are nothing short of disturbing, and then they wind up putting down animals anyway.

Now, I'm NOT a fan of puppy mills OR breeders (no matter how humane the breeders are)... and I certainly don't like the trend of mixed breed mutant doggies so Mumsy can give all her affection to a yappy little ultra-bred who, unlike her children, won't consider pushing her off a cliff for the inheritance. Of course, I'm not a dog person to begin with (what can I say, Garfield is pretty strong anti-Dog propaganda), but I can't say I like either side...

All I can say is you'd expect better security at these things.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
With animals as my main characters, you can imagine that I am on their side (but still eat meat).

I have never found PETA to be anything but odd-man-out. When I send a donation, and I urge others to participate with, the ASPCA who has actual credibility.

http://www.aspca.org/

Of course, they may have a point about the seas fish being the ocean's kittens. After all, there are "cat fish!" Wocka wocka! :embarrassed:

BTW: I dare them to show up in Memphis wearing KKK garb. It wouldn't last long at all!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
With animals as my main characters, you can imagine that I am on their side (but still eat meat).

I have never found PETA to be anything but odd-man-out. When I send a donation, and I urge others to participate with, the ASPCA who has actual credibility.

http://www.aspca.org/

Of course, they may have a point about the seas fish being the ocean's kittens. After all, there are "cat fish!" Wocka wocka! :embarrassed:

BTW: I dare them to show up in Memphis wearing KKK garb. It wouldn't last long at all!
Complete agreement there. I do agree with a lot of PETA's stances, but they tend to go way too far. I'm a vegetarian, but I also love my leather jackets, belts and shoes. Everything in moderation. :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'll keep eating the burgers so you can get some pants. :smile:

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
Living things eat other living things. It's a sad fact. Humans were made to eat meat, that's why we have the teeth for it. I was taught to believe that one of the reasons God gave us animals was for food, but in return we're to also respect them. It's possible to eat an animal and still respect it. Native Americans did it.

I respect people who are vegans, mainly because it must take a lot of will power to not eat meat. I know I could never do it. I think I'd go crazy if I went without a steak for too long.

I hate to tell PETA, but we inhale and kill millions of microscopic mites every time we breathe in. Should we all stop breathing to save them, too? I can just imagine PETA making a site about the "dust bunnies" and their plight. I think it's impossible to live without harming some other creature in the process. Even plants are living things, after all.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate to tell PETA, but we inhale and kill millions of microscopic mites every time we breathe in. Should we all stop breathing to save them, too? I can just imagine PETA making a site about the "dust bunnies" and their plight. I think it's impossible to live without harming some other creature in the process. Even plants are living things, after all.
I have to say, I do not care for nickel and dime one ups man ship logic. it does nothing but to make an opposing ideals look petty in being right.

And I wouldn't so much say that God gave us animals to "eat" so much as to fill up the planet with life (purely in a biblical sense, as what you're getting at). I feel if that's the case, we can use the land and everything, but as you said, we must respect what it is and wherever it comes from based on systems of beliefs.

In other words, you don't have to be a tree hugger to be annoyed when you're walking through large bags of Doritos....

Here's what it comes down to me. I'd care a LOT more about people killing animals for shoes if people wouldn't kill people for shoes (remember all the deadly thefts of high end basketball sneakers in the 90's). Man has such an intense burning inhumanity towards itself that what we do to animals (cage them, let them live in their own waste, and eat them) is almost more humane than what it does to itself. From Genocide to bullying and everything in between. I don't see why we'd treat anything else differently.

What I really don't like is the extremists (I don't like extremists on ANY side of anything), and that's what most of PETA does. Again, I'd go with Fozzie/Kevin on this one. If you agree with the philosophy of protecting animals, go with someone who does it in a rational, sane, and above all CREDIBILITY.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
I agree with most of the opinions on here. I agree PETA goes way beyond the boundaries of what they need to. PETA is full of a bunch of tree-hugging extremists. They take things and make a mountain out of a molehill. Of course, I'm against animal cruelty but not in a way that I think we should completely try to save every animal on earth. I believe that animals were provided for us to eat and enjoy here on earth. If anything, PETA extremists care more about animals and saving the earth than they do about themselves as humans. I'm sorry if I offended anyone but it had to be said.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Again, it's more of a co-existence thing. They weren't put here specifically for us to eat, no matter what anyone says, but rather to have hundreds of different species to create life on a planet. That doesn't mean we can't eat stuff though. We all know that every species is linked to each other, and the food chain does not end with the alpha carnivores.

Bugs eat US! A point we must never forget. Bugs and lower life forms eat decaying flesh. And in turn, the bugs' waste (and in certain cases, said decaying stuff) fertilizes plants.

When it comes right down to it, I'm no fan of the term treehugger, but I also hate the extreme of environmentalism. All that does is make the rest of us who don't wanna live waste deep in filth have no credibility. Everything is about balance.