Pete's Dragon!

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Hubba wha?!? You don't like Mary Poppins or the actors?!? Julie Andrews was born to play that role. :attitude: :wink:
no not a fan, because of two things, 1. My sisters over watched it seemed it was on in my house every day. and 2. my neighbors who were like family to me had a baby and when he was little me and my sisters used to baby sit him like every day after school and on the weekends, the only thing that kid would watch was Marry Poppins and Disney sing along videos, after a while I wanted to pull out all my hair, I couldn't take it anymore. I still have nightmares about it. oh and I almost forgot he loved Barney and Shining Time Station.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Absolutely, Kubo deserves our money more than any sequel or reboot because if we don't support films like it we'll very rarely get any major original animated films. And maybe this year's incredibly weak summer box office is starting to show that audiences are getting tired of the same old thing.
Or they just want to wait until it hits streaming so they can watch them on the toilet when they pinch one out. The thing that really bugs me is that, sure, for every massive flop piece of crap we had this year that anyone can whine about the lack of originality, they didn't exactly take to the actual original films, especially the comedies, either. I get the whole "Fffweelll! Hollywood wouldn't know an original idea if it bit them in the face" bit, but...pay to see comedies and other offbeat movies in theaters if you want to make that statement. Sure, I didn't get to see Keanu either, but if the general public is that annoyed by how crappy movies were this summer, why did that film barely open at a 9 million and just get dumped to DVD with not so much as an ad for it?

I get the reasoning behind Disney making these live action remakes of their movies, and up until the sequel to Alice in Wonderland (a style over substance movie made for Tim Burton's pseudo-goth fangirl fanbase to begin with), they had a steady stream of hits. I still don't get the desire or need to remake Pete's Dragon, though. Jungle Book, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty. Those were all big Disney films that at the very least became classics in time. Pete's Dragon is relatively forgotten unless you're a die hard Disney fan. And I agree with Michael Caine that if you absolutely have to remake a movie, remake something no one remembers that was a flop to being with. That's why we all know Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to the point a musical version was made of it. But Pete's Dragon still looks like that Harry Potter wannabe fantasy film trend that's been around since last decade. Same reason BFG flopped. These kinds of magical adventure live action kid films just died out when the last Potter film was released. Not that they were ever a thing.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Absolutely, Kubo deserves our money more than any sequel or reboot because if we don't support films like it we'll very rarely get any major original animated films. And maybe this year's incredibly weak summer box office is starting to show that audiences are getting tired of the same old thing.
I definitely want to see Kubo, I will probably bring my 8 year old nephew to see it! but that does not take away from how good a film Pete's Dragon Is! Pete's Dragon is at 86% on Rotten Tomatoes, that is pretty darn good! also most people I have seen online love Pete's Dragon and think it is a real shame more people are not seeing it? that being said, at 11:00AM on A Tuesday when most people are working or in School, my theater was packed with young and old about 30 or so people in the theater, a lot of families and seniors even!